587,923 active members*
3,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Oh my it is a beast.

I have been working since Friday to move my Ebay purchase R2E3 fromn LA via the truck to the garage. Only one slight mishap in all the move but it was an huge amount of work. On friday morning I drove over to LA and picked up the mill and drove it back to Phoenix on a budget rental truck, with a 2500 lbs lift gate. Well the mill weights about 5000 libs. So a dissembly of the head was in order. After much messing around to get the balance on the head assembly correct we did get it off the truck. Next was the base casting and the table assemble. We figured it's weight at about 3500 lbs and it would not fit on the lift gate. So we called a heavy wrecker service and had them lift it off for a cool $250. But the boom of the wrecker would not fit under my door, so they set it outside in the driveway on 4X4's. We fab up some skids from 2X6 lumber and with a come-along draged the big SOB into the garage.. Today is now a day of rest cause Every muscle in my body hurst like he double toothpicks.

That sounds familiar! I tell everyone that paying a mover is the best deal going now. Good luck with the new toy.
    Paul

I have moved some rather heavy stuff before with little or no help, so I know what you have gone thru. The 2x6 idea is a good one but next time try some pipe under it, like the Egyptians moved those large stones. Your back will thank you in the end.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

I feel your pain.
    I moved a 3400 lb mill into my basement, going around 2 corners.
    All of my friends are now praying that I never decide to move.

Jeff