588,216 active members*
4,123 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Watchmaker lathe or similar plans?

Watchmaker lathe or similar plans?

Hey everyone. I'm interested in plans to make/assemble a homemade watchmaker lathe. I know they're out there, but am having the devils own time finding them.

Anyone with some leads, it would be welcome. I have a pretty extensive background in machining and relevent experience, but am just interested in this to make some very small, homemade stuff. Maximum work envelope need not be more than 2 inch swing and an 8 or 10 inch bed.

Thanks!

Too bad your not closer. We are pulling an old Levin out to go to our salvage yard then to auction. It's old but like new.

Don't suppose it'll fit in a large manilla envelope, do you?

jkcab Guest

re: small lathe plans

I don't have a leven that will fit in an envolope (LOL) but I have a copy of a book by L. C. Mason. It is called building a small lathe, published by MAP Technical Publucations. It is an exellent book on building a small screw cutting lathe with very limited tools. There is also a secound publication by Mason called Using The Small Lathe. A small used sherline is pretty inexspensive but if you really want to build a lathe Masons is the best design I've seen. Since you are in Canada it should be easy to find a good used copy.
    Jeff

Building a small lathe

Many thanks, my friend. I'll try and find a copy.

My interest is not just in the use of the lathe for hobbies, but a personal challenge to see if I can actually do it. I've had to make parts on old worn out lathes to less than a half-thou tolerance, so it will be a measure of my bench and fabrication skills.

What else are machinists to do in their spare time?

jkcab Guest

RE:small lathe plans

I'm building an automatic tool changer for the mill. Challenging all my skills!!

Books

Can't get my hands on a copy of L.C. Mason's book, so does anyone have any suggestions? Or where I could find a digitized copy?

The books also sounded interesting to me so I just recently purchased the 2 books as recommended by Jeff which I found used on Amazon.com. I did search the Internet first for them and couldn't find them anywhere and then tried Amazon which had both of them in used condition only. You'll find a number of used copies available for Building a Small Lathe but unfortunately I purchased the last copy of Using the Small Lathe. Hope that helps.

Patrick

jkcab Guest

RE:small lathe plans

Hi all,
    I did a google search and the first thing up was Tee publishing. For those not familiar, Tee publishing puts out the workshop practice series. They were always too expensive for me coming from England. Amazon has changed that. The reason you could only find the books used is that they were last published by Map in 1977. Much to my suprise they are being reprinted by Tee publishing along with some other interesting titles. Here is the link I found Tee Publishing!)
    The two Mason books are just under 10 pounds which is about 18 USD and most likely more in Canadian. The book on building the lathe is well worth the money, plus cheap shipping on a slow boat, from the Queens Island!! If you contact Tee they may be able to tell you who distributes in the US or CAN.

Jeff

Let me know how you make out and what you think of the book?

Darn, I didn't see that and I used google. Oh well, thanks for sharing the website, there are some other interesting books listed. I should be getting my 2 books any day now so looking forward to them.

Patrick

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out Tee this evening.
    Right now, I'll give everyone a brief description where I stand now on my lathe build.
    Got an old singer sewing machine from my girlfriends mother. Spent a couple evenings after work ripping it apart, and have reduced it to the body. Let me tell you, those things don't come apart easily!
    After cutting off the nose just ahead of the factory bushing, I reinstalled the main drive shaft, complete with the original motor and variable speed foot controller. The shaft extends about 7/8 of an inch past the bushing. Plenty of room to attach either a drill chuck or a small plate to which I can fasten a 3 jaw.
    My plan is to bolt a plate to the base of the sewing machine's existing base, extending it about another 12 inches. To this I will attach the tailstock and a small toolpost. Total hours invested so far is about 8. Should have it all together by the end of the long weekend!

This sound really cool. Would you be able to take some pictures. I like the idea of using an old singer sewing machine. They sorta have an old school lathe look about them.
    Is the voice in my head bothering you?

Pictures coming tonight, I hope

I'll take some pictures and put them up tonight. Keep in mind that the whole idea about using the sewing machine is not to make a lathe capable of machining to .0001", but to recycle an unusable sewing machine into an object where I can sharpen my arrowheads or machine small pins for my hobbies.
    Also, I work in a CNC shop, and absolutely hate it. I prefer old school machining over button pushing any day. My goal is to build a micro machining area in my apartment where I can toodle away in my spare time.