587,195 active members*
3,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Want to control your spindle with Mach3 but can't.. Maybe this helps.
Page 6 of 23 4567816
    i have updates to my post emailed to me. Plus I am drawing right now so I have CNczone on my second monitor.

No thoughts on using this motor on a RF-45 Clone? If it would work this would be a great option for me over a VFD and a 3 phase motor.

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    No thoughts on using this motor on a RF-45 Clone? If it would work this would be a great option for me over a VFD and a 3 phase motor.
    Read post #97

JTCUSTOMS

Nice,

The bearings can be replaced with better ones... I will keep my eye out for the issue to be fixed and when it is I will be buying this to try it on my ZX-45.

Any Updates on the Motor Control/Boards?

Quote Originally Posted by Journey_Man View Post
    Any Updates on the Motor Control/Boards?
    Just what Zhang had posted a few days ago. It will take a few days for the boards to get to Keling. As soon as I get one, I am ready to test. So far, it has been easy enough to work around. It isn't like it makes the motor stop working, you just can't use a 2.5" face mill at full width more than .015 with any torque.

I'm chewing through aluminum and even some a36 steel without any issues up to 1/2 mills.

Chris,
    Do you have any pictures of how you rigged an index wheel on the SX3 for the RPM for Mach?

Richard

I just bought the 1100W motor and controller from Keling. The board looks like a revised design. The capacitor bank now sits on the "bottom" of the board along with the big heat sink. The 110/220 jumper is on the "top," opposite the capacitor bank. I haven't powered it up yet, and it may be a week or two before I get a chance to do anything with it. I need to order some odds and ends to get it all connected.

Has anyone successfully used the CN12 output as a spindle index input to Mach3? It doesn't appear to be difficult, but a previous poster mentioned that he was getting 3 pulses per revolution (which could be fixed by changing the pulley settings in order to get an accurate RPM readout - wouldn't be a true index pulse, though).

Does anyone have a part number or name for the female connectors needed to mate up with the white plastic connectors on the control board?

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    Chris,
    Do you have any pictures of how you rigged an index wheel on the SX3 for the RPM for Mach?

Richard
    Yeah, I have a crude but effective way that I set it up. When I get back to the shop, I will post a photo of it.

I just installed the Keling 1100 watt BLDC motor and controller as well on an SX3. Wow, I can tell you this thing has absolutely no low end torque. I'm running the stock pulley set up.

With the stock motor, at 100 RPM, I could not stall the motor grabbing the spindle by hand. With the Keling 1100 watt, it shows 400 on the tach which is really 200 on the spindle and it takes very little grip to stall the motor.

Tapping which I do on the SX3 all the time can not even be considered using this new 1100 watt setup.

Absolutely now documentation or wiring diagrams. It's pretty straight forward for the basic motor hookup and hall sensors, but nothing else is labeled or explained. I'll have to go see if I can check out Chris's info. I run a G540 so speed control may be a little tricky.

With that out of the way, the system is smooth and seems to operate alright. The Tach only displays set RPM for the motor, NOT actual RPM as the stock one did.

The next thing I noticed, is Reverse & Forward are backwards for a drop in SX3.

QUESTION: Is there a way to fix this, jumper or something, or can the phases be swapped along with the halls?

I'm going to try and do some milling with it, but I may just yank it back out. Pretty disappointing.

I sure hate to dog a new product, but they do have some serious work ahead of them if this is going to be an "upgrade".

Richard

I don't seem to be getting any signal from the Freq pin. Checked with Frequency meter and a scope.

Mine did not come with the mating connector for CN6 or the connector for the K2/K3 switch. I installed a standard Phoenic plug on for the ESD (K2/K3) but I'm not sure which connector to get for CN6 (CNC Control).

Quote Originally Posted by yuri_rage View Post
    I just bought the 1100W motor and controller from Keling. The board looks like a revised design. The capacitor bank now sits on the "bottom" of the board along with the big heat sink. The 110/220 jumper is on the "top," opposite the capacitor bank. I haven't powered it up yet, and it may be a week or two before I get a chance to do anything with it. I need to order some odds and ends to get it all connected.

Has anyone successfully used the CN12 output as a spindle index input to Mach3? It doesn't appear to be difficult, but a previous poster mentioned that he was getting 3 pulses per revolution (which could be fixed by changing the pulley settings in order to get an accurate RPM readout - wouldn't be a true index pulse, though).

Does anyone have a part number or name for the female connectors needed to mate up with the white plastic connectors on the control board?

Shoot. I was hoping someone would know what these connectors are. I looked on the Molex site, but I couldn't find one similar. Anyone?

I'm pretty sure mine was a returned unit. LCD Screen has scratches all over it and is so dim you can't read the numbers very good. If you look at a 45 degree angle then the numbers are clear as a bell. Like it has it's brightness or contrast to high.

Lets see how Keling is, he hasn't responded yet to the missing connectors.

Richard

Boy, this thread sure got quiet?

Speak of the devil, Keling just called on the phone and will be sending the missing connectors and a replacement LCD. Great.

I had a chance to do some milling in Aluminum with a 1/8 EM @ 3000 RPM and it did fine. Like I thought, it would not tap with a 1/4-20 tap, it just stalled and beeped. I have not tried any larger end mills yet, maybe this weekend.

When I get this up and going so I can use the mill, I'm going to dedicate some time in programming another ATMEGA for the factory controller. I don't think it's going to be that *bad* but who knows. I have the controller all pinned out now and had some outside help. Nothing but time.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by yuri_rage View Post
    Shoot. I was hoping someone would know what these connectors are. I looked on the Molex site, but I couldn't find one similar. Anyone?
    I have some Advantech mother board headers that look very close to these. I'll see if they are the same ones. if so I can get a part number.

Richard

I can't believe these are still being sold when they've been identified as having faulty control boards. A full refund should have been offered as soon as this was established. It's the manufacturer and importer who are responsible for their goods, not their customers.

Look at pages 5-7 of the thread, there were some discussions regarding the micro. If I had a drive I would take a look at it, anybody want to relinquish one to me? It very well could be as simple as the design is just not properly rated and more like a 300 watt setup and no firmware will fix that, although giving access to parameter is drive 101!

Boy, this thread sure got quiet?
    I think everyone's waiting patiently for their replacement controller board. Kinda wishing I hadnt spent the money. Maybe I'll sell the kit *if* they ever replace the boards.

I tried reading the data from the PIC on the input panel and controller boards, but its read & write locked. The progam has its read & write protect bits active. Reads nothing but 0's. Although the quantity of 0's it reads gives an indication to its program size (the button panel program is considerably smaller).

From what I understand you could flash your own program to it, but with no way of obtaining the original program (seeing Sangmutan wont share it) you'd have to know what the hell you're doing.

I do pic micros for a living. The chip is protected, write but no read.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mmprestine View Post
    Look at pages 5-7 of the thread, there were some discussions regarding the micro. If I had a drive I would take a look at it, anybody want to relinquish one to me? It very well could be as simple as the design is just not properly rated and more like a 300 watt setup and no firmware will fix that, although giving access to parameter is drive 101!

I've done quite a bit of milling today, all running wide open (6000 motor and 3600 spindle). Aluminum 6061, but .125 and .250 end mills.

It is a software glitch, the motor is capable of doing well but the software looses sync with it on occassion. DOC was 0.015 with a feed rate of 5 ipm and it would be cutting easy then the motor slows down and speeds up then for several minutes it does great then the same thing happens.

Next, sometimes I can stall the spindle and sometimes I can't. Same RPM and settings.

Weird.... I doubt it's a motor issue because when it works right it has some power.

Richard

Page 6 of 23 4567816