587,611 active members*
3,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > Dumb AutoCad Question (Open window won't come up)

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Any time you have a problem or question in ACAD, check the help file. It's the best one I've ever used. If you go to the Open command in the Help file, it explains your problem
    Hello Gerry,

If you could go into a bit more detail here I would greatly appreciate it, as I have never been able to find anything in the help files!

If I type "open" in the search box on the "Search" tab, the only thing close is "Open files modified in AutoCAD", which isn't close.

If I type "open" in the search box on the "Index" tab, it jumps from "Online translations" to "Options". No "open".

When I first started, I needed to draw a line tangent to a circle so I typed "Tangent" in the search box and sixteen topics came up, none told how to do it. It told how to draw circles tangent to lines, and many other combinations, but not a line tangent to a circle. I discovered how to do it at a later date by accident while drawing something else.

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
    Hello Gerry,

If you could go into a bit more detail here I would greatly appreciate it, as I have never been able to find anything in the help files!

If I type "open" in the search box on the "Search" tab, the only thing close is "Open files modified in AutoCAD", which isn't close.

If I type "open" in the search box on the "Index" tab, it jumps from "Online translations" to "Options". No "open".
    Using the Index tab, when I type open, i see:
    Open and Save tab
    Open Command

Double click Open Command, and choose Quick Reference, and you get this. (partial)

Command entry: open
    The Select File dialog box (a standard file selection dialog box) is displayed.
    You can open and load a portion of a drawing, including geometry on a specific view or layer. In the Select File dialog box, click the arrow next to Open and choose Partial Open or Partial Open Read-Only to display the Partial Open dialog box.
    When FILEDIA is set to 0 (zero), OPEN displays a command prompt.
    As for how to draw something, that would be found in a tutorial, not a help file.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)