Login

Mill cutting tools in Australia

Hello

I live in Australia
    Where can I get other milling tools that will work with the taig mill
    Something like a 1/16 with a 1/16 shank not 1/16 with 3/16 shank
    And I'm also after some ball ends not just flat ends

Thanx

Not a local source but I have bought carbide endmills from carbidechiu (ebay). Found them pretty good to deal with, responds to emails etc... Not sure about straight shank 1/16 but they have 1.5mm. Will do custom endmills if you are after quantities. I have no affiliation with them. Hope this helps.
    Regards Verm

hmmm, they seem ok, i will have to buy some
    is HRC40 enough for aluminium?

I am no expert on tooling, maybe somebody can step in. The page states "MAX. CUTTING MATERIAL HARDNESS : HRC40" Aluminium would be in HRB class which is softer. There will be more options if you are not after straight shank tools.

That depends on the flute length
    It's impossible to finish milling any decent sized pocket with a none straight shank, also the CAM program doesnt understand a wider shank sometimes it chews into the part a bit

Quote Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
    That depends on the flute length
    It's impossible to finish milling any decent sized pocket with a none straight shank, also the CAM program doesnt understand a wider shank sometimes it chews into the part a bit
    First, the person running the CAM program needs to be telling the person setting up the mill what the max depth of cut is for each tool so that they can put them in a holder with enough sticking out to do the job without collisions.

When going to extreme depth to diameter ratios you generally do not want long flute lengths, you want short flutes with a solid neck that is just a little bit smaller then the cutting diameter.
    http://www.harveytool.com/products/p...dius+End+Mills

And then there are the long reach long flute tools for when you really have a PITA part.
    http://www.harveytool.com/products/p...each+End+Mills

It is very common to grind your own reduced diameter neck tools from cheaper standard tools. If grinding carbide tools forget about those green wheels and use a diamond wheel.

I would think there would be someplace local (to Australia anyway) to get these types of tools, ANCA tool grinders are used by a lot of end mill manufactures, they must have sold some within their own country.

I run the CAM and the mill
    The standard taig 1/16 endmill starts to eat into the part after 1/4" so it not very good
    I would not call 1/4 inch extreme the entire height of the part is only just over 1" and its circular so the max depth is only 0.62" far from extreme but unable to make using std taig tool bits
    The ebay site mentioned below has cheaper tool bits and no need to grind it down

milling cutters in Oz

I buy mine from CTC lately - the prices are good, and the quality seems OK.
    I used to buy from the Nut and Bolt factory in Beenligh (Qld), but since moving away from there, the shipping and alternate around here aren't as enticing.

I do also keep every blunt of broken HSS drill I ever find - those which can be resharpened I will, but the rest make good stock for making up odd cutters.

Taig lathe, taig mill (still in carton), and assorted other bits and pieces.

Des in Oz
    desbromilow.blogspot.com for pictures of the lathe, and other bits.

Melbourne based.

Call Ariel...
    Engineering Tooling
    I have bought various items from him a number of times.:wave:
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.