587,523 active members*
3,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 5 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    Do you know if the USB converter is configured for two-wire operation?
    I've attached pictures of all the options under the device manager. It says nothing about having options for 2 or more wires? In the user manual it also doesn't mention anything.

I tried to access COM 6 with hyperaccess (like hyperterminal) and it says "com 6 busy"....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails general.JPG   port settings.JPG   driver settings.JPG   advanced port settings.JPG  

details.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

pictures of the converter.

I'm only using T-/A and T+/B.

That is correct right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0258.jpg   IMAG0267.jpg  

Looks correct to me, but I'm really not too familiar with RS-485. By the labeling and what's in the manual it seems like it should automatically figure out whether it's set up as 2 wire or 4 wire. Two things I would try if you haven't. Open it in Hyperaccess or whatever terminal emulator you use before using Mach after a fresh boot. Also try opening the port with the breakout connector disconnected. The port (assuming it's the same as a regular serial port, possibly a bad assumtion,) should open even if nothing is connected to it. If it's an electrical issue, that might help to get you started in the right direction.

Looks correct to me, but I'm really not too familiar with RS-485. By the labeling and what's in the manual it seems like it should automatically figure out whether it's set up as 2 wire or 4 wire. Two things I would try if you haven't. Open it in Hyperaccess or whatever terminal emulator you use before using Mach after a fresh boot. Also try opening the port with the breakout connector disconnected. The port (assuming it's the same as a regular serial port, possibly a bad assumtion,) should open even if nothing is connected to it. If it's an electrical issue, that might help to get you started in the right direction.
    Good idea! I will disconnect the breakout connector and see what it says after a fresh reboot!!!

Thanks!!

I took your advice. I rebooted and unplugged the VFD from the converter. The converter is still fully hooked up, except now i CAN ACCESS port 6! If i try to read or write anything to port 6 it gives me a "CRC error" in the modbus serial control test.

I can access port 1, 3, 4, 5, and now 6.

The other accessible ports only give me a "recieve" timeout if i attempt to write or read to them, while port 6 is the only one that gives me a "crc error" (whatever that is).

CRC is Cyclic Redundancy Check. Basically a check to make sure what was received is actually what was sent and not corrupt. Not sure what it means in this case though (CRC error may be exactly what is expected when nothing is connected. Maybe not.) The fact that it does more than it did when the VFD was hooked up leads me to believe that there may be an electrical issue. Have you tried hooking the ground line on the converter breakout to a ground on the VFD? Differential signals still usually need a relatively good shared ground. Actually, before you do that you may want to put a voltmeter between the converter ground and a ground on the VFD to see if there is much voltage difference between them.

So i added in the ground. I am now able to open port number 6 @ 19,200 with no error, while the unit is connected to the VFD. (before i couldnt open port 6 at all while the vfd was connected. Now i can).

With slave address set to 1 and startR set to 0 and numreg set to 1, i get a CRC error, when trying to read or write anything to one of the registers, coils, etc.

I bought a Serial cable, i'm going to directly plug in the db9 breakout to my serial port and see if i can get it working correctly with that. If it works with that and not with this, then something with the converter is messed up.

BTW, what the heck does "startR" mean and "numreg" i have no clue what these mean and may need to be modified? the slave address of the VFD is set to 1 inside the vfd.

Connected the DB9 cable from the breakout to the serial input on my PC.

Looks like i have to configure it correctly on Port 5.

So far i have:
    bit per sec-19,200
    data bits- 8
    parity- none
    stop bits-1
    flow control- none

Then i have to put a check box in:
    RS232
    RS422
    RS485 (then i must choose, full duplex, half duplex, or half duplex echo).

Then a setting for auto hardware flow control.. Use or not to use?

Thanks everyone.

(I tried half duplex RS485 and it freaked my mouse out and it was bouncing all over the screen, windows xp started to auto install "microsoft serial mouse drivers"? lol)

Had to unplug and restart. I think ill wait to hear back which one is correct so i dont fry my system!!

(while using my db9 cable) It seems that if i choose anything other that RS232 windows XP tries to install a "serial mouse" and starts moving my mouse and clicking it all around the screen violently.

RS232 will open up with no errors in mach, but i run into the infamous CRC error when trying to write or read.

Your guys guess is better than mine at this point haha in the dark =-(

Well the VFD uses RS485, and standard serial ports are RS232, so it's not surprising that connecting the two would have unpredictable results. I think converting between the two isn't too hard to do though. I don't know if getting another converter (RS232 to RS485 this time) would be worthwhile to you. Maybe someone more familiar with RS485 will chime in and save you some time.

Well the VFD uses RS485, and standard serial ports are RS232, so it's not surprising that connecting the two would have unpredictable results. I think converting between the two isn't too hard to do though. I don't know if getting another converter (RS232 to RS485 this time) would be worthwhile to you. Maybe someone more familiar with RS485 will chime in and save you some time.
    https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...headSearch.y=5

Ordered up a new converter. Sure its spendy @31 dollars, but another user has said he uses it with success, so that is worth the extra cost to me.

hopefully it comes soon!

Here is the new converter. "RS232/485C"

Made by "speco technologies"
    Speco Technologies - simply unique

grainger number #3AEA2

Thanks to gd.marsh for supplying the info!!

Hopefully tonight i can test it out (cross your fingers everyone).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0140.jpg  

If anyone else is as tight fisted as I am, then these can be had on ebay for a few dollars.

Example,

RS232 to RS485 1.2KM Data Interface Adapter Converter | eBay

Greg

totally impressed! The speed is dead on when using my photo tachometer all the way up to 24,000 rpm.

Video to come this afternoon!

Mach 3 Modbus Hitachi X200 VFD and Chinese spindle

First off, I want to thank everyone who helped me. I wouldn't have figured it out without The amazing cnczone users, as well as the mach 3 forum users. I want to especially thank "Greolt" for his "brain" contribution which has worked perfectly!

Youtube Video Below:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2_Hsx5nk6o"]YouTube - ‪Cnc Rebuild Video #83‬‏[/nomedia]

Brain and image by Greolt zipped and attached below.

Mach 3 "hitachi x200 thread" (READ THIS THREAD AS WELL)
    Hitachi X200

Some of the things i used:

Phototachometer
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photo-Laser-Tachometer-Contact/dp/B001N4QY66/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307222125&sr=8-4]Amazon.com: Digital Photo Laser Tachometer Non Contact Tach: Home Improvement[/ame]

Grainger converter: (RS232 to RS485 Converter) (#3AEA2)
    RS232 to RS485 Converter - Closed Circuit TV System Accessories - Closed Circuit TV Systems and Accessories - Security : Grainger Industrial Supply

Ebay Converter: (RS232 to RS485 Converter)
    RS232 to RS485 1.2KM Data Interface Adapter Converter | eBay

Hitachi X200:
    http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drive...00-002NFU.html

Chinese spindles: (search under his store, "spindle")
    eBay My World - love-happyshopping

RJ45 Breakout board:
    CNC4PC

RJ45 Cat 5 cable:
    CNC4PC

Serial cable:
    CNC4PC

Pci to serial card:
    Newegg.com - StarTech Low Profile 1 Port 16550 Serial PCI Card Model PCI1S550_LP

Quick reference guide to X200:
    http://www.hitachi-america.us/suppor...ence-guide.pdf

Full instruction manual for x200:
    http://www.driveswarehouse.com/docum...achi/X200M.pdf

A standard ethernet cable may not be the best for long runs. You're using pins 5 and 6 for rs485, but pins 5 and 6 on an ethernet cable are not in the same twisted pair. If you notice any signal issues you may be best off re-terminating the cable so that the pins you're using are part of the same pair.

A standard ethernet cable may not be the best for long runs. You're using pins 5 and 6 for rs485, but pins 5 and 6 on an ethernet cable are not in the same twisted pair. If you notice any signal issues you may be best off re-terminating the cable so that the pins you're using are part of the same pair.
    I don't *think* im using twisted cable. I believe its straight through no twist and shielded cat 6. It's only going about 2 feet till it hits the breakout board then into a shielded serial cable. I've had no problems, probably because the distance is so short. I will keep that in mind for the future incase i have any issues!

If it's not twisted it's not CAT6..

I think a standard Ethernet cable does not have 5 and 6 as one twisted pair.

I made my own cable with those two as one twisted pair.

Don't know how much difference it makes.

Greg

I suppose rs485 is supposed to have a range of 1200m isn't it? If you're a small fraction of this (and not multidrop,) you could probably connect it using lamp cord and be fine.

Page 3 of 5 12345