587,571 active members*
3,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 35 of 40 253334353637
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaincraft View Post
    I would think you could.. but don't know it there's a backwards compatible issue...

Wow, that's not much of a features list for a paid upgrade.. there was nothing else of note? Bug fixes should be free...
    Hmmm let's see... you can enter a distance as a fraction of the workpiece, you can make tool (job) templates... maybe the biggest "new" addition is that any vector or text can now be warped or fit to an arc. I think V6 automatically compresses files, and that might be the compatibility issue. Other stuff like adding a border to a textured background, toolpath heirarchy, better tool management, toolpath optimization, view screen automatically resizes now... I can see if they charged $25 or even $50, I'd budge. But $150?

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    HAHAHAHA Good luck!

It's got to be better than doing kitchen and bath remodels!

I'm hoping to produce 'product' and place them in local stores.. let 'them' talk to customers... also sell them on line.. and then I only have to talk to them via e-mail.... Even with cabinets... I don't want to do the installation end of things... Let some contractor come to me and order what he wants.. I don't want to be there dealing with the wife ordering changes, and the husband freaking out when the bill comes.... I've had enough of that... I'm not a marriage counselor in addition to contractor...... pay me for one or the other....

Hmmm let's see... you can enter a distance as a fraction of the workpiece, you can make tool (job) templates... maybe the biggest "new" addition is that any vector or text can now be warped or fit to an arc.
    That's a pretty big one right there...
    I think V6 automatically compresses files, and that might be the compatibility issue. Other stuff like adding a border to a textured background, toolpath heirarchy, better tool management, toolpath optimization, view screen automatically resizes now... I can see if they charged $25 or even $50, I'd budge. But $150?
    I don't understand what that means...

One feature I wish V Carve had, is to be able to add custom textures.. They have the one, which is nothing more than staccato bites in over lapping straight lines... but it would be cool to be able to add an background image to be used as a texture...

Another feature would be to be able to select several nodes at once and then enter a value to move them to.. currently you can only do this one node at a time... Also the ability to select several nodes, and then align or distribute them... But probably the most maddening missing feature along those lines is not being able to enter exact values for the bezier handles.. You have to 'eyeball' it..

Mountaincraft stated: It's got to be better than doing kitchen and bath remodels!

I'm hoping to produce 'product' and place them in local stores.. let 'them' talk to customers... also sell them on line.. and then I only have to talk to them via e-mail....

This is my business model; works fine. Also sell services to cabinet makers, architects, interior designers. Sell services low enough that they can mark them up ..pay them to deal with the retail customer "chatter".

Even with cabinets... I don't want to do the installation end of things... Let some contractor come to me and order what he wants.. I don't want to be there dealing with the wife ordering changes, and the husband freaking out when the bill comes.... I've had enough of that...

I'm not a marriage counselor in addition to contractor...... pay me for one or the other....

My wife is a clinical psychologist; from listening to her for these last 20-years, stay a contractor!!! This may be telling: She no longer does couples therapy, says it is too much work for not enough money!!!! She is of the opinion that most couples come to therapy 5-years too late and therefore might as well just get a divorce.

[/QUOTE]

maybe the biggest "new" addition is that any vector or text can now be warped or fit to an arc.
    The Distort tool does a lot more than fit things to an arc.

And toolpath templates alone are worth $150, imo. Especially for doing cabinets, or other repetitive work.
    With toolpath templates properly set up, you can create toolpaths for a nested sheet of parts in seconds.

Here's a sample video I made when the feature was in beta testing.
    http://home.comcast.net/~cncwoodwork...s/cnc/nest.mpg

The full feature list is here:
    What's New in VCarve Pro
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Took your suggestion Gerry and went to site and that is a very competent piece of software.

So, since I needed to buy some 'food'... it was obvious I wasn't going to have enough to make the Cut 3D and Photo V Carve purchase this month.. so I went into town today and bought some of the other things I need...

Bought at harbor freight:
    6" digital caliper $15

(2) 1/2" pipe clamps $12
    to add to the (2) 3/4" and (1) 1/2" pipe clamps I already have

Dremel type tool with case $12

188 pc Dremel tool accessory kit $14

I also went to the hardwood wholesaler and bought enough soft maple (pretty cheap) to make three of those paradise boxes ($38)... I already have enough red oak to make at least one.. and enough old pine to glue up and finish the one I started..

Gonna order some hinges on line and make up the five or more paradise boxes and put them in some stores and see if I can get a couple sold to buy some more wood and earn towards the new software...

The coaster project is on hold for now as I experiment with methods and graphics...

Will also probably order a new small bit for finish routing these 3D files.. possibly even the 3 pc tapered 3D carving bit set from precise bits..

my relays should be here by monday at the latest so I can start on automating the vacuum, and the ability to turn on the entire system with one switch...

I currently have a 3/10 extension cord running from the laundry room, through the kitchen and living room into the rec room to power my table.. so thinking I've had about enough of tripping over that.. I'll probably run two new dedicated circuits from the panel to the wall next to the table in the next week or two as well...

Gonna start designing my vacuum sound box tomorrow... basically a box made out of MDF that the shop vac will sit in, lined with owens corning R705 sound board, and an exhaust maze also lined with the same stuff...

Solid State Relays

Hi,

I received my Solid State Relays and put together a box with 3 relays in it. One receptacle has the tab removed so each outlet can be controlled by a separate Solid State Relay and the other one is set up so that one Solid State Relay can operate both outlets. The Solid State Relays are rated at 25 AMPS. I ran an 8 conductor shielded control wire from my PMDX-126 BOB and control the Dust Collector, Vacuum Pump and other devices via Mach3.

This is really sweet. Of course, I owe my Florida Friend a big thank you for helping me out with the selection of the Solid State Relays and also the hookup to the PMDX and Mach3.

Basically, life is good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1322a.jpg   IMG_1323a.jpg   IMG_1324a.jpg  
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Hi,

I received my Solid State Relays and put together a box with 3 relays in it. One receptacle has the tab removed so each outlet can be controlled by a separate Solid State Relay and the other one is set up so that one Solid State Relay can operate both outlets. The Solid State Relays are rated at 25 AMPS. I ran an 8 conductor shielded control wire from my PMDX-126 BOB and control the Dust Collector, Vacuum Pump and other devises via Mach3.

This is really sweet. Of course, I owe my Florida Friend a big thank you for helping me out with the selection of the Solid State Relays and also the hookup to the PMDX and Mach3.

Basically, life is good!
    Hi John.. For future reference, you gotta link to those relays? The ones I ordered are mechanical.. I ordered 2 socket bases, and 3 relays (one spare).. they are 12VDC control and 20A contacts... SPDT

Solid State Relay Link

Hi,

Here is a link to the solid state relays. I bought them on e-bay. A package of (5) each USED. I don't know how many he has but he continues to put listings on for the same item. They start out at $9.99 Plus $6.00 shipping. How much you pay depends on who's bidding. The ones I installed all worked perfect.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

FYI I made a 20 foot long 12/3 extension cord and also a 20 foot long 8 conductor cable for the signal wire with shield (that's what I had). That way I can move it around the shop and hook up different items by just plugging them in to control box I made. I purchased the Plastic Junction Box at Lowe's Electrical Department. It is 4" X 4" X 4". Fitting (3) relays in there gets pretty tight but it can be done.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Okay.. So here is the finished prototype unit... I plan to create files with four or five variations, and the ability to cut all the parts for two or more boxes at a time (however that best works out)...

I just ran some pine through my table saw and edge glued them without planing or further dressing the edges... seemed to make a strong joint.. The construction of the box adds further support to the glue joints.. so I'm not worried about failure..

This one is in pine, and has quite a few blowouts, but surprisingly, after finishing with lacquer, they're not that noticeable... Future boxes will be hardwood.. starting with red oak and soft maple... then more expensive woods once that it's all dialed in...

I need to get some decent 3D carving bits (will probably get the set from precision bits), and dial my speeds and feeds in, and get some experience in finishing.. I also need to find a way to process sand this stuff as that is where the most labor is involved once the program files are made...

Anyways, the idea is that once I get the quality to the level I want, to make several styles of this box and start cranking them out.. It's something to start putting in the local stores on consignment, and sell at craft shows...

I gotta order some hinges yet..

Then onto the next 'product' work out the kinks on that, and start selling them, and then the next product, and so on.. hopefully improving quality and knowledge and inspiration all along the way...

Nice Work

Hi,

That really looks nice. What degree V bit did you use for cutting the artwork?

John

The V Carving was done with an Amana 60 degree insert bit...

Well, now that I bought a pair of calipers, I realize that the thickness I 'thought' my auto-zero plate was, was actually a 32nd thinner than I had entered.. So I was carving/cutting 31 thousandths deeper than planned...(wedge)(chair):withstupi(nuts)

Just read (most of) this build. Very good work !
    I am just starting to plan/buy parts for my 1st build, and this thread will be a useful reference for debugging . Thanks for posting it all.

Rich

cut down on sanding time...use harder woods. Makore for one works really well almost zero sanding from machine. Carving directions also help, I cut a lot of pine across the grain with 6-8% stepover and it comes off table really clean. With v bits I slow the plunge way down to reduce blowouts.I use standard endmills for carving from Web Specials from Discount-Tools.com. Absolutely the lowest prices on great cutting tools.

So I had a little time this morning to look into the Z axis and look for problems.. Got in there and grabbed the bit and gave it a yank or two... looking to see if anything wiggled..

Hell yeah it did.. pretty good.. The bearings in the router are totally shot... So I pulled it all apart, got the good router out of my plunge router and proceeded to embark on switching top ends.. so that I don't have to go through remounting the S-PID sensor... The paint is currently drying on the good armature... and will be reassembled in about an hour or so...

I put the old armature in the newer top end and fired it up, and it doesn't sound as good as it did with the newer armature in it...

So hopefully, I don't need to use the jobsite router or my portable router table much for the next month.. Looks like I'll be budgeting for that 892 motor sooner than I had planned...

Anyways, switching out the armatures should help some.. probably a lot really.. Gotta order some new bearings for the old one.... The slop is pretty bad......

Damn!

While taking the old router apart, I must have damaged the S-PID sensor.. because now it doesn't work!

Is there a 'standard' sensor that I can buy locally here in the US, so I don't have to have my machine down for a couple weeks waiting for a new one to arrive from Australia?

I think somewhere in this thread was mentioned what type of sensor it is and that you could get it locally ie USA but you might have to do some searching of this thread..
    sorry i meant searching in the superpid thread

Oh well.. I guess while the table is down, I can work on building that sound box for the vacuum, and setting up the relays to control it and power the table.. and maybe even run those two new circuits over from the panel so I can get rid of this extension cord running through the house..

And I can always work on creating some of the files I need... Which is what I seem to spend the most time doing with this table anyways...

Page 35 of 40 253334353637