587,998 active members*
2,368 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end
Page 134 of 184 3484124132133134135136144
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 3662

Re: Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end

Hi Dan.....BTDT.......XML file is in the Mach 3 folder....no problem.....if the plugin is defective, how come other people are having fun with it presumably?

Waiting to remote link up with Sales now for the Mach 3 driver test install.

I have to wonder, what is the least computing power you would need to run Mach 3 with.....486?.....386?? a 286???......my pocket calculator.....how low can you go.....LOL.

You can get Win 7 motherboards (when a driver is available for Mach 3) in various flavours from working computers for as little as $5 on EBAY.

Maybe a stripped down basically basic bare bones set up would be a good project build for running the CNC machinery......the hard drive would be solid state and pretty small at that.... practically just an SD card and a teensy weensy power supply too.....no need for a CD drive if you only use a flash drive USB input for the G code program installs......the biggest component on such a set up would be the multi pin socket for the monitor.

I'm not into computers as such, but in the same vein, you don't need to be an engine builder to yank a working engine out of a scrap car to build a hot rod.

I can't find a thread that indulges in that scenario, but someone must have though of it.

Maybe Defeng, with his expertise, could dream up a basically simple motherboard to do the trick......laptop motherboards have too much junk on them to be a practical solution for CNC use......who needs a sound card on a CNC machine or a mini built in DVD burner or stereo amplifier and loud speakers etc etc.......music while you work?....LOL.
    Ian..

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Not sure what circuit you are talking about here where you want to limit in-rush current, but a 100W light bulb won't work so well. Can't carry enough current for any significant load, wrong resistance, and short-lifespan. The ICL that xjdubber linked are in the 1-10 ohm range, a 100W lightbulb resistance is about 20 ohms when cold, 600 ohms when hot.
    Hi, I wasn't thinking in terms of carrying any amounts of current.......the method I proposed was purely to slow down the amount of current that the trannie needs initially to get up to 240 volts on the primary.....a few minutes with a 100 watt light bulb would be all it takes..... then it's out of circuit via the relay.

You wouldn't be wanting to switch the trannie on and off frequently....that occurs on the secondary....no problems there.........and any incandescent light bulb last ten times as long if you apply the current slowly as would happen with the circuit I proposed..........I think a 500 watt or 1000 watt quartz halogen light would do the same in a more compact form and with less start up time......they are all just resistances in the end but don't burn out due to the vacuum in the bulb..
    Ian. .

Mach3 Minimum Recommended Requirements:

Requirements if using the parallel port for machine control:
    Desktop PC (Laptops are not supported) with at least one parallel port
    32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (64-bit versions will not work)
    1Ghz CPU
    512MB RAM
    Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Requirements if using an external motion device for machine control:
    An appropriate external motion controller (options can be found on the Plugins page)
    Desktop or Laptop with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
    1Ghz CPU
    512MB RAM
    Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    ...You wouldn't be wanting to switch the trannie on and off frequently....
    ahh, we are talking about a transformer?

And what is the load on the secondary side of the transformer?
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

you can run M3 on a pie. the older the XP computer the better M3 run's for some people as long as the jitter is very low it's fine.

what you need to think about Ian is the future if you can get a win 7 32 bit computer ( as long as it has low jitter and does not have a Nvidia graphics card and the brand name does not start with A) it will be all good.

you may just be missing a USB driver or it needs a update they will hopefully find the problem.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    you can run M3 on a pie. the older the XP computer the better M3 run's for some people as long as the jitter is very low it's fine.

what you need to think about Ian is the future if you can get a win 7 32 bit computer ( as long as it has low jitter and does not have a Nvidia graphics card and the brand name does not start with A) it will be all good.

you may just be missing a USB driver or it needs a update they will hopefully find the problem.
    Hi dan....a pie?....you mean a Rasberry Pie....got one of those but didn't know what to do with it so it stayed in the bottom drawer.....I didn't realise you had to be a computer wizz kid to use one....and it runs on Linux.........that has to be a small ( compact) processer if it can handle Mach 3.,,,,sounds exciting, but don't like the Linux idea.

BTW, Win 7 computers with 32 bit are quite cheap on EBAY....aprox $110...ask me how I know........I was after the small compact one like the Veriton 1000, but the one I got is a big desk top 64 bit which is unsuitable for Mach 3.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    ahh, we are talking about a transformer?

And what is the load on the secondary side of the transformer?
    Hi...at switch on there would be no load on the secondary of the trannie of the size I refer to....it's the inrush current on the primary that trips the mains......once the voltage is up to 240 volts the trannie is stable.
    Ian.

yes a Raspberry Pie the new model as far as I know it only has been tested with a ESS with the win10 IOT core
    it can run on more than just Linux there's about 9 different programs it can run with

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi....the one I have is the first one that came out.......if this device is capable of working with Maxh 3 to control a mill, who needs XP.....I'll have to do some reading up on it....it could have possibilities.
    Ian.

I think I would get it working the way it was designed and intended to start with rather than looking to a Pi in the sky.
    Lee

Some actual info..

Mach 3 will just run on a 666 Mhz processor at 25 kHz with PP.
    But, you really dont want to do so (wizards are slow to start, cant use graphics for zooming while running unless it has a good graphics card, etc).

64 bit versions of windows work very well with Mach3.
    But the PP driver wont work on 64 bit.

Tiny integrated computers, like a Hp cube (50-120$) will work fine, using Xp, but getting them to run is pretty hard, and 9/10 wont be able to do so.
    1. Upgrade SS Hdd to 4 Gb or up..
    2. You need to adjust the MRB (cant be done with windows tools, you need a linux freeware utility to fix the bootable bit in the hard drive).
    (It will say Hard drive error, wich is not correct)
    3. Install a possibly streamlined (winlite is one option) version of Xp depending on HD size
    4. Copy from net and put into the right directory a suitable graphics driver .ocx iirc

A running semi-modern (win 7) pc is the easiest option.
    Cheap, too.

Ok......no Pi for the guy.....I'm just happy to get the mill running with XP on whatever box of tricks it comes in......I'm that kind of person....plug and play and as simple as you can get.......the machining part is the end product I'm really aiming for not computer programming or trouble shooting.

At the moment I have a spare ACER Veriton 1000 computer with Win XP, but it keeps switching off as soon as it gets turned on and then reboots continuously, so now I have to use my old big and bulky loaded with lots of stuff tower generic computer with Win XP as the mill controller, but it needs the driver to start working......sales say it's OK to use for the mill, but this is going to be for a temporary usage.

Eventually I might be getting another more compact computer with just the XP OS, and that means downloading the Mach 3 program once again and installing the driver and XML file, but this time I'll know why it didn't go right the first time......can't think why it isn't going right at the moment.

If Win 7 32 bit is OK to run the mill, I might try and get the Win 7 64 bit one I bought exchanged as it's a big and bulky desktop and the 32 bit models come in a much smaller package casing for almost the same money........that model is the Acer Veriton L670G with Win 7 32 bit for $120 on EBAY..
    Ian.

Hi Dan.....BTDT.......XML file is in the Mach 3 folder....no problem.....if the plugin is defective, how come other people are having fun with it presumably?

Waiting to remote link up with Sales now for the Mach 3 driver test install.

I have to wonder, what is the least computing power you would need to run Mach 3 with.....486?.....386?? a 286???......my pocket calculator.....how low can you go.....LOL.

You can get Win 7 motherboards (when a driver is available for Mach 3) in various flavours from working computers for as little as $5 on EBAY.

Maybe a stripped down basically basic bare bones set up would be a good project build for running the CNC machinery......the hard drive would be solid state and pretty small at that.... practically just an SD card and a teensy weensy power supply too.....no need for a CD drive if you only use a flash drive USB input for the G code program installs......the biggest component on such a set up would be the multi pin socket for the monitor.

I'm not into computers as such, but in the same vein, you don't need to be an engine builder to yank a working engine out of a scrap car to build a hot rod.

I can't find a thread that indulges in that scenario, but someone must have though of it.

Maybe Defeng, with his expertise, could dream up a basically simple motherboard to do the trick......laptop motherboards have too much junk on them to be a practical solution for CNC use......who needs a sound card on a CNC machine or a mini built in DVD burner or stereo amplifier and loud speakers etc etc.......music while you work?....LOL.
    Ian..
    Ian, you have you facts mixed up. Mach3 runs fine under Win7 32bit or 64bit. The only issue with 64 bit is the Parallel Port driver,which you don't intend to use anyway.
    As for PC size and cost, I built a Intel Atom Dual-Core based Micro ITX MOBO, 2GB memory, SS Drive for like 130.00. Running Win7-64, and it's mounted on the back of a 17" monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    it has a lot of little problems
    Is there a list of the problems anywhere? I am using Mach3 version .066 on our cnc plasma machines at work. Still working on a custom screenset for our machines, with loads of options in it. But if there are a lot of problems that I need to know about I would sure love to know it.

Quote Originally Posted by skillalot View Post
    Is there a list of the problems anywhere? I am using Mach3 version .066 on our cnc plasma machines at work. Still working on a custom screenset for our machines, with loads of options in it. But if there are a lot of problems that I need to know about I would sure love to know it.
    I think those who have problems, seems to be mostly an individual machine and setup thing, I have run them from .022 to .066 and have never had the problems with any of the different versions, that others talk about, also have never used any Mach controls with a stepper systems, only with servos whether this makes a difference I don't know, but they have all run sweet
    Mactec54

some computers handle M3 better than other`s .062 is the version that works good with the ESS, never had a problem running pp with .062 on a very old XP computer what is now dead, I am running .062 on win 8.1 with a ESS with no problems.

skillalot if it works don't worry or change

high side Ian can only run a 32 bit computer it's what his bob need's

hanermo Ian know FA about computer stuff all he needs is the driver to work, on a 32 bit whatever flavor win computer he can't run 64 bit anyway how your machine building going

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by high-side View Post
    Ian, you have you facts mixed up. Mach3 runs fine under Win7 32bit or 64bit. The only issue with 64 bit is the Parallel Port driver,which you don't intend to use anyway.
    As for PC size and cost, I built a Intel Atom Dual-Core based Micro ITX MOBO, 2GB memory, SS Drive for like 130.00. Running Win7-64, and it's mounted on the back of a 17" monitor.
    I'm with you I have built many of them, these photo's is number 147 I mostly only use the Atom 2700MUD this is the best one in the series of Atom ITX Intel Boards It depends on what components you use as to how much it cost, this Atom 2700 MUD Board can cost from $80 to $110, without Ram SSD Case & Software, and yes these can mount anywhere you want to put them, this case has a mounting plate on the back for mounting on a monitor
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I'm with you I have built many of them, these photo's is number 147 I mostly only use the Atom 2700MUD this is the best one in the series of Atom ITX Intel Boards It depends on what components you use as to how much it cost, this Atom 2700 MUD Board can cost from $80 to $110, without Ram SSD Case & Software, and yes these can mount anywhere you want to put them, this case has a mounting plate on the back for mounting on a monitor
    Hi Mac......I got your PM.....did you have any results with the driver and XML files I sent you?
    Ian.

Hi Mac......I got your PM.....did you have any results with the driver and XML files I sent you?
    Ian.
    I was looking out for them but they have no arrived at this time, I will check the spam folder, I just checked nothing from you

PM me your email and I will send you one to see if it is working
    Mactec54

Hi all.......at last the good news........my SVM-0 mill is now operational and firing on all cylinders.

Jan, the Skyfire sales team go to guy, spent a couple of hours with a remote link up to get the software installed, but he got there at last.....now all it needs is to gen up on the Mach 3 working procedure, learn the G code and lay out some more money for tooling.,,,,.......it can't get much better than that........Defeng will be pleased.

It's a bit unnerving seeing the table move under jog control when you're used to turning the handles on a manual mill.

It also pays before a mill arrives to have a dedicated computer formatted and with just the operating system and Google Chrome for internet access to load the Mach 3 program..

In my case I had to use my old XP desktop with loads of "stuff" still on it because the one I wanted to use developed a problem.....I'm told it might be the power supply, as the computer switches on and after 15 seconds switches off and then reboots continuously.

Not having a Lan access in the garage meant I had to dismantle the computer and re-assemble it in the study to get internet access.....now it's stand alone.

Thank you to everybody who offered advice and tips to get the install going.
    Ian.

Page 134 of 184 3484124132133134135136144