588,548 active members*
5,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    well I have to look at the plans again and see what home depot has (price wise also). I tihnk I may go with MDF. I might have some plywood around for other stuff though.

I ordered 5 bearings and a 12"x12"X.75" HDPE slab today from mcmaster so I should be able to start work tuesday on the blocks. I have some stuff at work I can use too. I think this weekend once I do some house cleaning, I am going to hit up the home depot for the wood and start cutting.

well my HDPE and bearings came today. And I just picked up the wood tonight. I already have 2 pieces almost done!!! No pics yet of any work. I may have one tomorrow night of the pieces of wood (and hopefully blocks) all cut out. Unforuntatly our table saw isn't working. Either needs a new bearing or a new motor. Luckly my dad has a friend that is a retired carpenter that is going to help me cut them tomorrow and I great new saw with a dust collector system.

Also I plan to modify the plans.

1/4 acme threaded rod (is this a good choice?)
    DumpsterCNC antibacklash nuts and maybe some other stuff.
    And that is all I can think of right now.

Well I have finally got some pics to show.

Other then 2 pieces that need a 1/2 inch cut off (easy to do) all the wood is cut to size. I just (read: 5 minutes ago) cut the HDPE for the blocks and anti whip piece on my band saw. I am heading to the shop to start machining them to size on the mill. I have have to determine some things.

I plan on acme threads, in my haste, I order 1/4 bearings. Should I take the 5 dollar lose and get new one and go with 1/2 acme, or should I stay cheap (read: my budget) and just get 1/4 acme rod?

I am getting anti backlash nuts from dumpster cnc. I feel its worth the 15 bucks each.

Here is some pics of what is done:
    pic 1 is cut wood (taped by number via size) and the plastic and the 3ring binder in which the plans are in.

pic 2 is my really old bandsaw that I got for free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jgrobuild 001.jpg   jgrobuild 002.jpg  

I vote, get the 1/2 -10 acme and scrap the 1/4 inch bearings. Nice band saw.

I think I am going to keep the 1/4 inch on the Z axis, as the load isn't the same as x and y.

That way not all the bearings are a total waste.

I got the large adjustment blocks squared (for the most part) and 5 holes drilled (5th is for the 1.5 hole so I can do it on the lathe). I was sharing the mill with the machinist who had real work to do but he helped me the whole time.

Your blocks should have 9 holes right? 4 tapped adjustment bolt holes located radially to the pipe, the hole for the pipe, and 4 more mounting holes.

I know I've said in the past to drill on assembly, however, I would drill all these holes in this detail part.

I have the mounting holes and a starter for the pipe done on the 8 blocks, and thats all I got done today.

I am debating leadscrew size

1/4-16 has the advantage of percision
    1/2-10 has torque and speed

That has to do with mechanics of the screw, nothing the motors can do about it.

1/4-16 would be cheaper, and I am working with stuff where the percision would be nice. Also less modifactions to the plans

I need to make up my mind

This might help and please correct I'm if I am wrong.

mim move = lead of screw / steps per rev of motor:

1/2-10TPI ACME has a lead of 0.1/200 spr(typ) = 0.0005" travel per step of motor
    1/4-16TPI ACME has a lead of 0.0625/200 spr(typ) = 0.0003125" travel per step of motor
    1/4-20TPI ACME has a lead of 0.05/200 spr(typ) = 0.00025" travel per step of motor

Add in microstepping from the driver and you can see that the travel from 1/2-10 ACME will have more than enough resolution for a home build MDF machine and the speed increase will be: 50% over the 20TPI and 37.5% over the 16TPI.

I think the slight increase in cost for 1/2-10 is more than worth it.

I hope all my calculations are correct and everything I have said is right, can someone confirm.

Robin
    A much wittier reply came to mind immediately after I clicked the 'Send' button

for now I am going to do everything according to 1/4 acme thread. If I change it at sometime, I can upgrade it to 1/2 easily.

I went through the plans to see how many acme nuts I needed to buy and I counted 9. These are just ones I saw on the leadscrews. Is that the right amount?

I havent built mine yet but 9 sounds right, 3 per leadscrew. I ordered 20 just to be safe

Robin
    A much wittier reply came to mind immediately after I clicked the 'Send' button

I think I am ordering leadscrews and nuts today from MSC. Hopefully I can finish up most of the blocks today and tomorrow, as it will be hard to do that after spring break, where as I can do the wood part any day after 4 with my dad (I have to use his tools)

I am still debating using wood screws or bolts like the plans call for

I would rather use the DumpsterCNC Acme couplers and thread clamps, they are more secure than Acme nuts and the standard set screw couplers available.Im going to use the Dumpster CNC goodies in my Jgro buildup, they are well worth the extra money

Yea I was deffinetly looking that the dumpster cnc stuff. So if I got the clamps I wouldn't need the nuts?

Thats right, if you use the dumpster CNC acme couplers you can also eliminate the nuts that go up against the standard couplers.Good Luck

well I thought I had made some progress but I haven't

The stock sizes in the back and the info on the actual page is wrong and more then a couple sheets.

stock size says 16.25 when the drawing shows 32.5

I know have to recut 4 pieces somehow (our bandsaw and our friends are both broken).

I am really starting to hate this. I may be able to get away with cutting 3 new pieces, maybe 2 depending how strong theglue is

stock size says 16.25 when the drawing shows 32.5
    trust me, those parts got a few guys pissed i'm sure, good thing for me i picked up on it early, but then the way i see it, no obstacle is greater than the goal, a cnc router is more than worth it even if you make a few mistakes, keep at it, i'm telling you, the satisfaction of finishing it is really rewarding.

yea I can't wait. I have a few older guys (who have helped me cut the wood) waiting to see it up and running.

I am getting tons of help.

Now what is real fun is using a spade bit to drill the whole in the adjustment blocks on a lathe (HDPE)

Luckly I had enough extra (never scrap) left over to fix my mistakes. About to hit the garage and get building.

plans?

im having a problem finding these plans. im toying with the idea of making a mutirouter type machine and what the heck maybe cnc. thank to anyone that could point me in the right direction.

http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?n...ewarticle&id=4

there is the link to the plans in PDF

Print them off and put them in a 3 ring binder (I used page protectors)

They work very well

But make sure you double check dimensions. The ones in the diagram is what you should use.

gluing the motor mount side of the x axis this afternoon. I hope to finish the large adjustment blocks tomorrow and probably start on the small ones

oh man so its been too long away from this project. Every time I go into the garage this things bugs me to be worked on, and I think I finally have some time.

So I finally have some spare money laying around (about 400 bucks) and I still need to purchase motors and stuff

I was thinking a hobby cnc kit with 305 oz steppers (296 or something after shipping)

Is that a good idea?

Also 1/2-10 acme from enco. And antiblacklash nuts from dumpster cnc.

Page 2 of 3 123