587,263 active members*
3,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Trouble with 2.2kw Chinese spindle, need help with VFD settings
Page 2 of 4 1234

Re: Trouble with 2.2kw Chinese spindle, need help with VFD settings

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    I was referring to the pic he posted. He has a white wire(neutral) on R, told him to move to ground.

I'm sure you know this and only posting for others, these VFD can be used for 3 or 1 phase, R,S,T are for line connections. For 1 phase RS RT will work.
    Yes I repair these drives I know them inside out, all VFD drives are can be used for 3 Phase, except the VFD Drives that are for 120v AC input only

I'm well aware of what you said, You never tell anyone to move a Neutral to Ground, you should of used other words other than Ground

It was already to late, to save his VFD because he had run it with the Neutral attached to the R Terminal, as soon as I saw the photo, I knew it was over, many have done this before, & he won't be the last to do this
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You never tell anyone to move a Neutral to Ground, you should of used other words other than Ground

It was already to late, to save his VFD because he had run it with the Neutral attached to the R Terminal, as soon as I saw the photo, I knew it was over, many have done this before, & he won't be the last to do this
    Why not?? It was good advice. A neutral is only needed for 120v. So... When a neutral wire is run with/for a dedicated 220 circuit its the same as a ground. Didn't think it was necessary to go into details other than what he did wrong and how to wire new VFD.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    Why not?? It was good advice. A neutral is only needed for 120v. So... When a neutral wire is run with/for a dedicated 220 circuit its the same as a ground. Didn't think it was necessary to go into details other than what he did wrong and how to wire new VFD.

Dan
    It was Bad advice

Dan A Neutral run with a 220v/240v circuit is a Neutral, it can never be a Ground or referred to as a Ground, it is not legal to use a Neutral wire as a Ground

( It is a very common thing to do, to run a neutral & Ground wire with a 220v/ 240v circuit )

You have a Ground Bus & a Neutral Bus they both serve a different purpose, in an electrical system, don't get them mixed up or you will be in trouble

I had already said in posts before your post, what he had done wrong, and he had already, corrected the wiring problem, but the damage was already done
    Mactec54

I have the Huanyang 2.2 VFD,

Cannot get it to run more then 2750 RPM on Bridgeport Clone mill, tried everything any guidance would be appreciated

Did you get this resolved I have similar issue?

Quote Originally Posted by lt00273 View Post
    Did you get this resolved I have similar issue?
    Your motor/VFD can not be set as these were set, you have a totally different motor to what these spindles motors are, need more details of your motor
    Mactec54

Your motor/VFD can not be set as these were set, you have a totally different motor to what these spindles motors are, need more details of your motor
    Thanks for the help,

The motor:

3 HP
    60 Hz
    Volt 230/460
    Amp 8/4
    RPM 1720
    Phase 3
    KW 2.2
    Pole 4

Thanks for the help,

The motor:

3 HP
    60 Hz
    Volt 230/460
    Amp 8/4
    RPM 1720
    Phase 3
    KW 2.2
    Pole 4
    Your settings want to be close to this list, note that where all the 120 setting are start out at 80, 120 is the max frequency you can run your standard Ac motor, no other settings are needed, so if you have set other Parameters do a Factory Reset before you start, and then do these settings

Your are using 240v single phase and have 2 Hot wires connected to R & T and Ground connected to the Ground Terminal

Huanyang Mactec54
    PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock ( Must be 0 to do a Reset )

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0

PD003=120 (Start at 80 )

PD004=120 (Start at 80 )

PD005=120 (Start at 80 )

PD007=20

PD008=220

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=50 (Minimum Setting 50)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Accel=15 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deccl=15 (Adjust to suit)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142=8 ( Motor Max Amps)

PD143=4 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) ( 3000 will allow the motor to reach it max RPM 1720 x 2 )

For Remote Pot use

PD002=1

PD70=0

PD72=120 (Start at 80)

PD73=50
    Mactec54

Thanks

So did you not have the parameter settings in the VFD that I gave you,

You can not use different from what I gave you, if this was correct and you got a error with the wiring corrected, then you also have a spindle motor problem as well

Thanks
    Using the quote in your last post is unrelated to your motor setup, I'm guessing you live in the USA, if not then your wiring would be different, to what I posted also
    Mactec54

Mactec54 (or anyone else who can assist me in this matter),

I had posted in another thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-ro...cnc-forum.html that resulted in no help just yet. I have this same VFD and the matching water cooled spindle that I had purchased from Automation Technology, Inc. I have all the parameters set properly and your recommendations confirm that. I also am confident I have all the wiring correct (30+ years experience and understanding of wiring and electronics both industrial and residential). I can run the spindle fine from the VFD on manual mode. Where I'm having a problem is with how to setup my system to drive the VFD and spindle using Mach 3, through an Ethernet Smoothstepper (ESS), and a Gecko G540 drive when I've changed the VFD to PD001=1. I have the latest version of the ESS plugin and am running the recommended version of Mach 3. If you are anyone else can give me details on the setup in Mach 3 and the ESS plugin to get my spindle working through Mach, I would be greatly appreciative. When I set up according to the scattered (and often conflicting) info I've been able to find for setting up in Mach for this drive, I get zero reaction when trying to start the spindle. In fact, I can enter for example, 24000 in the spindle speed, and when I select the CW F5 button it resets to 0 and the button stops blinking. There is no error code as a result either. I appreciate any help that can be offered so I can get my machine up an running. (side note: I can manually jog XY&Z in Mach, but can't turn the spindle on).

Quote Originally Posted by RhemaG View Post
    Mactec54 (or anyone else who can assist me in this matter),

I had posted in another thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-ro...cnc-forum.html that resulted in no help just yet. I have this same VFD and the matching water cooled spindle that I had purchased from Automation Technology, Inc. I have all the parameters set properly and your recommendations confirm that. I also am confident I have all the wiring correct (30+ years experience and understanding of wiring and electronics both industrial and residential). I can run the spindle fine from the VFD on manual mode. Where I'm having a problem is with how to setup my system to drive the VFD and spindle using Mach 3, through an Ethernet Smoothstepper (ESS), and a Gecko G540 drive when I've changed the VFD to PD001=1. I have the latest version of the ESS plugin and am running the recommended version of Mach 3. If you are anyone else can give me details on the setup in Mach 3 and the ESS plugin to get my spindle working through Mach, I would be greatly appreciative. When I set up according to the scattered (and often conflicting) info I've been able to find for setting up in Mach for this drive, I get zero reaction when trying to start the spindle. In fact, I can enter for example, 24000 in the spindle speed, and when I select the CW F5 button it resets to 0 and the button stops blinking. There is no error code as a result either. I appreciate any help that can be offered so I can get my machine up an running. (side note: I can manually jog XY&Z in Mach, but can't turn the spindle on).
    If your spindle is a water cooled 2.2Kw your parameters are different than what is posted in the above posts, it's important that you have the correct parameters for your spindle, I have posted them in other posts for this spindle

I don't use a G540 or any of there products,I know others have had these problems as well, to test Mach3 out you want to use MDI type in S500M3 enter, you will see this appear in the spindle operation in Mach

If this does not work then there is a problem with your Mach 3 configuration M4 entered the same way will turn the spindle off, get all this part working first then check the output from the ESS
    Mactec54

Thanks for your reply Mactec54. Do you have a specific link regarding your posts you mentioned? I'm a one man operation and have very little time to spend searching forums. I tried what you said to type in Midi (S500M3) and got no spindle movement. What exactly is this supposed to do?

My VFD settings are as follows (in numeric order):

PD000 = 0
    PD001 = 1
    PD002 = 0
    PD003 = 400
    PD004 = 400
    PD005 = 400
    PD007 = 20
    PD008 = 220
    PD009 = 15
    PD010 = 8
    PD011 = 120
    PD014 = 12
    PD015 = 12
    PD141 = 220
    PD142 = 9
    PD143 = 2
    PD144 = 3000

~~~Bill

Thanks for your reply Mactec54. Do you have a specific link regarding your posts you mentioned? I'm a one man operation and have very little time to spend searching forums. I tried what you said to type in Midi (S500M3) and got no spindle movement. What exactly is this supposed to do?

My VFD settings are as follows (in numeric order):

PD000 = 0
    PD001 = 1
    PD002 = 0
    PD003 = 400
    PD004 = 400
    PD005 = 400
    PD007 = 20
    PD008 = 220
    PD009 = 15
    PD010 = 8
    PD011 = 120
    PD014 = 12
    PD015 = 12
    PD141 = 220
    PD142 = 9
    PD143 = 2
    PD144 = 3000

~~~Bill
    It looks like you have the most important one's set here it is to compare

Huanyang Mactec54
    PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD007=20

PD008=220

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=120 (Minimum Setting 120)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Accel=12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deccl=12 (Adjust to suit) ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage ) (120 for VFD Rated for 120v )

PD142=9 ( Motor Max Amps) (Set for your motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp Max)
    (Set for your motor Amp Rating 1.5Kw Spindle 7 amp Max)

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD002=1 ( For Remote Pot use )

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 for normal use )

PD72=400

PD73=120
    Mactec54

Thanks, Mactec54.

Looks like I have all set correctly in the VFD as per your post above here. So there is still the issue with settings in the ESS plugin config and the Mach 3 settings if there's anyone willing and able to provide me solid info on that.

Mactec54, a couple questions regarding PD013 and PD070. I'm a bit confused about the "Factory Reset of 08" on PD013 and the setting of "1 for normal use" on PD070. What should PD013 be set at in order to prevent factory reset? I've not done anything at all with that particular setting. And on PD070, do you mean I need to try the setting of "1" to run it in Mach 3? Or should I leave it at "0" where I currently have it? I assume I need to also leave PD002 at "0" since I'm not using a remote pot, correct?

Thanks again for your help in understanding this.

Thanks, Mactec54.

Looks like I have all set correctly in the VFD as per your post above here. So there is still the issue with settings in the ESS plugin config and the Mach 3 settings if there's anyone willing and able to provide me solid info on that.

Mactec54, a couple questions regarding PD013 and PD070. I'm a bit confused about the "Factory Reset of 08" on PD013 and the setting of "1 for normal use" on PD070. What should PD013 be set at in order to prevent factory reset? I've not done anything at all with that particular setting. And on PD070, do you mean I need to try the setting of "1" to run it in Mach 3? Or should I leave it at "0" where I currently have it? I assume I need to also leave PD002 at "0" since I'm not using a remote pot, correct?

Thanks again for your help in understanding this.
    PD013 you set it to 8 to do a Factory reset, once the reset is done, it will change it's self back to the Default setting, nothing to worry about after you have done a reset, so don't put an 8 in there, unless you need to, or it will reset all your parameters to the Drive Default

With PD070 some drives don't work correct if set to Zero, this is usually only to do with the pot control on the VFD, so I now say to try it both ways 0 or 1

For using MDI in Mach3 to try your spindle this will turn on your spindle Relay to start the VFD running, you will be able to test the output pins to see if you have the 5v needed to turn the relay on, you can also measure the PWM output this will be 0-10v this controls the speed, the Relay turns it on
    Mactec54

Thanks again, Mac.

This is no longer an issue, I changed a couple of settings in ESS config and Mach 3 config according to a YouTube video I found and all is now good.

Thanks for your time,

Bill

Thanks again, Mac.

This is no longer an issue, I changed a couple of settings in ESS config and Mach 3 config according to a YouTube video I found and all is now good.

Thanks for your time,

Bill
    Post what and how you set Mach 3 and the ESS, this can help others that have the same problem, screen shots Etc of the settings
    Mactec54

I posted a link to the video here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-ro...cnc-forum.html

Mactec54,
    Maybe you can help me. The VFD is wired correctly and I have the four-wire shielded cable running to the spindle. My spindle is a 2.2 kw Chinese, 220 v, 8.5 A 400 hz & water cooled. The VFD settings are the same as what you posted earlier. The problem is as the spindle starts spooling up, it emits a high frequently squealing noise. It get louder as the rpm increases. Rpm reaches about 6k before I stop it. The Chinese provided "Manual Guide" says if "strong noise reminds spindle needs more grease, ". To me, this implies the bearing need grease. This spindle has "4 Germany bearing" and about 60 secs of total run time. Any ideas? Also, how do I know if my spindle has 2 or 4 motor pole? Thanks Dave

Page 2 of 4 1234