587,735 active members*
3,407 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Ordered a Torus Pro-S yesterday.
Page 2 of 2 12
    And it just get better....

Got my Hertel 2 flute 1/2" end mill in and gave it a run. I have to say I'm really impressed for $12.00 end mill !. I ran several cuts progressively faster each pass to see how the spindle load held up. I couldn't find a torque curve for the motor, so I went with 75% of max speed (4500 rpm). So these cuts were .5" DOC .2" step over. I ran from 25 to 40 IPM with a slower/light finish pass at the end. How much more can she take ?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzRli_x_mic

You can set the display on the VFD to display current. Monitor code d-1 I believe for the C300 VFD.
    That will give you a better idea of how much grunt you have in reserve.
    Examine the chips under high magnification, and if still well formed you can probably push it harder.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by LAKESNAKE View Post
    And it just get better....

Got my Hertel 2 flute 1/2" end mill in and gave it a run. I have to say I'm really impressed for $12.00 end mill !. I ran several cuts progressively faster each pass to see how the spindle load held up. I couldn't find a torque curve for the motor, so I went with 75% of max speed (4500 rpm). So these cuts were .5" DOC .2" step over. I ran from 25 to 40 IPM with a slower/light finish pass at the end. How much more can she take ?.

torus - YouTube

Further, how did it sound performing that cut? (edit-- hah. i'm an idiot. I'll turn sound on and hear for myself.)

That's about exactly what I was looking for, and it certainly looks adequate.

Whens that tool changer coming out?

Looks sweet.

With HSMWorks you can have lots of fun with adaptive clearing. With a 3 Flute Carbide tool I've found that around .25" DOC and .20" WOC at 100 IPM is pretty sweet as well. With the servo version you can link your rapid moves at 500 IPM as well.

This video of my machine is full of stuff not to do, but at 2:26 there is roughing like described above at 100 IPM. The initial profile is also done at 90 IPM and at one point gets into a 4 HP cut due to my poor stock cutting.

3 things not to do while machining - YouTube
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

I said (almost) the exact same thing (I threw in an expletive for emphasis) when I used the wrong height parallels one time. That was exciting!

The worst* thing is: the scar on the jaws is a constant reminder.
    * actually, this might also be the best thing.

Hmmm. Measure twice, cut once.
    I did that to my magnetic chuck with the surface grinder.
    Lucky mine was low on HP.

Quote Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
    This video of my machine is full of stuff not to do, but at 2:26 there is roughing like described above at 100 IPM.
    Kinda scary how much the head moves around when doing those high-speed cuts....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Been there done that (more times than I would like to admit). I did find my aluminum end mills do a good job on steel clamps though

Page 2 of 2 12