587,543 active members*
3,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Injection Molding Help
Page 2 of 2 12
    TAB - the only problem with that is the setup cost -your right though, a knife handle should be strong. pressure would really improve the process, but a high-tech resin will have very good properties also. it may cost alot more over time though. For prototyping a diverse array of handles I would invest in a vacuum pump for degassing, a tub of silicone mold material, a can of good mold release, several decent mold boxes "cope & drag". I have all of this, and can make models of aproximately any reasonable properties, from metal filled epoxy faux-metal parts, to low temp melt (upto 400deg) metals. and plasticfrom very soft silicone rubber upto very hard and brittle cheapo epoxy resin.

if you dont have a good CNC machine, you will have to pay thousands per mold set.. id rather make 10 molds out of silicone if im prototyping... also, if you need real parts, www.protomold.com could be interesting... do inhouse Rapidprototyping, then out source low-count production.
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Yneeb- the design was requested. i dont know if i agree with the products concept. it had to be able to be delivered for $20 retail. so it was lowend. supermarket stuff. think asian manufacturing

:|
    ******** never paid either. "if we sell it, we will call you"
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Quote Originally Posted by vacpress View Post
    this process i mentioned can be improved by using a machined wax pattern, and silicone mold material to make the mold. no release is needed, and the part will come out with amazing surface detail. better make that wax pattern right!

what i outlined is a fairly basic starting point to how prototype parts are fabricated many times. even whena big cnc or SLA machine is used to make the patterns, some engineers end up mixing resin, degassing bubbles, pouring, oven curing, etc.. whats nice is: a DIY type can get the same results at home with minimal fuss.

the drawback:thes echemicals are expensive!

how do you degass bubbles

degassing bubbles

the basic procedure is to put the mixed mold silicone or latex into a vessel and then use vacuum source to remove the air from both chamber and mold material.

an 'inexpensive' chamber can be made with a spray gun paint vessel from harbor freight... if anyone is curious i will link the product.
    Design & Development

Hi,
    Try this link they also have agreat book, that explains how to make simple molds, You can find used machines on ebay, but they are not cheap, since they run on air and 110Volts.
    http://www.morganindustriesinc.com/

Best of Luck
    Frank

wow, MG, this thread is from 2003, can't believe it.
    We are a mold maker in China, by the way.

Page 2 of 2 12