587,138 active members*
3,705 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Where to find Machinable(CNC) Wax for molding ?

Where to find Machinable(CNC) Wax for molding ?

I'm looking for a machinable Wax for molding a fiberglass.
    after I create draft shape with foam I would like to cover it with Wax in any shape(not flat nor horisontal), then I can use CNC to reshape the final mold.

is this Possible ?
    all I want to do is making molds with machinable(CNC) material wax.
    the problem is I need to "luquid the wax" so I can paste the draft shape before I Use CNC for final finish mold.

the shape is not horisontal and flat, I need sticky Liquid wax so I can apply anywhere in the shape without melting down.

Can I use this beside Wax ? Epoxy ? as far as I know they are melting down, so it's impossible to apply to angle/vertical shape.

Help pls...

rud

What about polymer clay? They use it in the auto industry for machining of prototypes. You can make your own for cheap, and by carefull selection of ingredients (wax, oils, clay etc) you could tailor it to your specific requirements. You can formulate it so it is still plastic when warm but it firms up at room temperature so it can be machined.... just a thought.

Polymer Clay ?

That sound good, where can i find detail info about Polymer Clay,
    I did try googling but no detail info of how to do it

thanks
    rud

MSC has that, it seems a bit expensive to me though.

http://www1.mscdirect.com

I looked up "machinable wax" and it gave me about a dozen different part numbers.

Jim

Check out e-bay. I picked some up their.

machinabel wax

well what I found is the solid machinable wax.
    what I want to do is apply the "machinable wax" in draft cutting foam with irregular shape (the wax must be liquid).

after I apply the wax i will run CNC again to cut the final mold.

rud

In that case I'd say that something like automotive filler such as Bondo would be your best bet. The price would be right as the stuff is pretty cheap and you can find it everywhere even Wal-mart.

Jim

Just a thought..... jewelry casting suppliers sell several grades of wax color coded for their hardness. Back when I was involved in that the "KERR" company offered it in blocks,tubes, rods etc. The hardest (blue or purple)was machinable but melted to a goo for reshaping.
    Southwest Smelting, another supplier of that time may still have a comprehensive supply catalog.

Bloy

Unhappy

Half the battle in online searching is knowing what something is called.

I contacted Freeman Wax Co I mentioned polymer based clays used in the auto industry and the rep says they have it. Its called Chavant clay.

http://www.freemansupply.com/ChavantIndustrialS.htm

Also look here:

http://www.sculpturetools.com/chavan...sstandard.html

On this later page look under descriptions for J-525 and CM-70 and you will see that they are suitable for milling purposes. They vary in hardness at room temperature. You may want to contact the companies directly to decide which version would work best.

Alternatively, you can make your own. Let me know if you want to do this and I will dig up a sheet on the various additives used. Be forwarned that this will require testing.

I hadn't even thought about Bondo and it may work for your application. The reason I would go with clay is because it can be reused, and if you screw up in applying it to your model, it can be resoftened with heat and reapplied (unlike Bondo).

Quote Originally Posted by Calico
    I'm looking for a machinable Wax for molding a fiberglass.
    after I create draft shape with foam I would like to cover it with Wax in any shape(not flat nor horisontal), then I can use CNC to reshape the final mold.

is this Possible ?
    all I want to do is making molds with machinable(CNC) material wax.
    the problem is I need to "luquid the wax" so I can paste the draft shape before I Use CNC for final finish mold.

the shape is not horisontal and flat, I need sticky Liquid wax so I can apply anywhere in the shape without melting down.

Can I use this beside Wax ? Epoxy ? as far as I know they are melting down, so it's impossible to apply to angle/vertical shape.

Help pls...

rud

I make molds all the time..

What's wrong with wood???

Murphy

Murphy,
    well the wood is expensive here in indonesia, they required layering/polishing before making into production.
    I was thinking wood type for RC aeroplane, but it very costly here.

Cbass,
    Thank you for your reply, Yes CM50 is the one I'm looking for except the price.
    so high.
    thank you for calling them for me, appriciate that.
    did you say I can make my own ? like CM50 ? please let me know if it cost much much cheaper.
    I'm been googling about the word "bondo", excuse me, I'm from Indonesia, so it's alittle outta box.
    anyway can't find bondo product like CM50. I wonder how strong can it be ? I know it won;t be as strong as epoxy but this mold come in sections, so it must be strong enough otherwise .. you know.
    If I can mix the epoxy with something so I can apply like "clay" or CM50 that would be wonderful. or other resin which is cheap.

regards
    ruddy

The two recipies represent two different grades of plasticene. They vary in their ratio of wax, oil , and grease. Changing any of these (ie. using beeswax instead of microcrystalline) or their respective amounts will affect the overall properties. This is only a starting point, and these are not specifically designed for machining. They may work as they are or witha little tweaking. I think the 80# will set harder and may be better for machining because it contains a larger proportion of wax. I had a sheet that outlined many differnt typres of wax, oil and grease and their effects on the material but I can't find it If I do I will post it.

One other thing. The clay you use will determine how fine the material is. I don't know what clays you have access to but you definitely want a clay that is fine and is sold already screened in a bag as a powder. I suggest you call some ceramic suppliers and ask for a "ball clay" or "kaolin", not a "fireclay" or "earthenware" as these latter clays are much coarser. The powdered clay you choose should have no noticeable grit as this will cause striations when it is milled. I am waiting for my router to arrive and when it does, I will probably be headed down this path. I'll let you know what I come up with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan0001.jpg  

thanks again for the formula,
    let me find the material on the list here... it's very hard to find it because of the standard here is different than in USA.
    they mostly don't understand the name either.
    I don;t think the clay will be available here. I have to import it from usa.
    this is the problem I use to have.

let me see what I can do.
    regards
    ruddy

I believe the wax that MSC carries could be melted down and applied.

If not, what about fiberglass? I'm not sure it would be too good to breath around a machine cutting it, but I think a few layers would work.

DAB,
    yes I agree with fiberglass or epoxy will work, just apply layers.
    now I'm experiment with other material to make it softer and thicker to apply.

the problem is I can not aplly it at once with 1 cm thick.
    all I need is 1 cmm thick that can be apply to any surface/angled.
    i still have a problem w that.

rud