587,311 active members*
3,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes
Page 29 of 38 192728293031

Re: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

Just a quick question, I have an old 48x96" Shopbot that I'm going to add a 4th axis to, I watched the video about adding my own machine, and creating the stls for base, x, y, z and so forth, was just wanting to make sure that size machine would fit in the software?

The size should not be a problem

I have gone back and worked thru your videos to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.
    I am using your version 5.0.6 on my pc with Win 10 64 bit.
    My machine is a SainSmart Genmitsu 3018-PROVer with a PGFUN CNC 3D Touch Probe.
    I use a small piece of construction foam as a test part so that I don't break anything (attached picture).
    One thing I am having trouble with is in your video "Aligning the work piece", I don't get the white outline you show. The toggle switch in the upper right doesn't seem to show it. So I am unable to select it as you show in the video.
    I am able to scan a surface as you can see in the attached picture. However the blue points and the surface are not at the probe location. I have set the workspace location after going through all the probing settings (work piece zero and aligning).
    I'm beginning to think that the machine default settings which are all the way to the right side of the table are ignoring the workspace settings.
    I have tried everything I can think of to correct this to no avail.
    I really like the program, I just need help with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0Gxu7RXHPYEQn6yA2.jpg   cnc1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by flyfish View Post
    I have gone back and worked thru your videos to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.
    I am using your version 5.0.6 on my pc with Win 10 64 bit.
    My machine is a SainSmart Genmitsu 3018-PROVer with a PGFUN CNC 3D Touch Probe.
    I use a small piece of construction foam as a test part so that I don't break anything (attached picture).
    One thing I am having trouble with is in your video "Aligning the work piece", I don't get the white outline you show. The toggle switch in the upper right doesn't seem to show it. So I am unable to select it as you show in the video.
    I am able to scan a surface as you can see in the attached picture. However the blue points and the surface are not at the probe location. I have set the workspace location after going through all the probing settings (work piece zero and aligning).
    I'm beginning to think that the machine default settings which are all the way to the right side of the table are ignoring the workspace settings.
    I have tried everything I can think of to correct this to no avail.
    I really like the program, I just need help with it.
    Does anyone have suggestions for this issue?

- About the video "Aligning the work piece
    To simulate the video you need an STL object (e.g. Plane_0.stl from the example files in the folder C:\ProgramData\toe\grblgru\ExampleData\STL) and a 2D object.
    Therefore just draw a rectangle in a DXF editor, save it as DXF file and load it with "File\Import DXF".
    In the video I saved both objects as a project file and loaded it with one click.

- About the scanning problem
    For scanning you don't need to do any aligning before. You only have to press the button "Set workpiece Zero Point" at the point where you want to start.
    The result of the scan is an STL object with the scanned top surface, which you can save again. The position of the STL doesn't really matter.
    You can change the position at any time with the menu item "Geometry Editor" from the 3D-Context menu.
    Select the STL with CTRL + left mouse button and then open the 3D-Context menu with CTRL + right mouse button.
    If you want, you can also display the measurement values in the measurement dialog after the measurement.

I recommend that you first try everything in simulation mode.

Let me know if anything is still unclear

OK, Thanks. This clears up a lot of my misconception of how some of this works. I have scanned a test object and it came out fine.
    Thanks for clearing things up for me.

OK, I understand more about the process.
    Now I have another question about digitizing. Is it possible to digitize an irregular shape and create an stl file? Like an oval (1/2 of an egg) or any kind of non rectangle.

I am not sure what exactly you mean by digitizing.
    Therefore, perhaps here again the available functions in connection with STLs.

1. Scanning
    The scanning process is only used to digitally capture the geometry of the surface of an existing object and save it as an STL.
    The second step is then to project a 2D sketch onto this STL and mill it.
    So for example if you have a small jewelry box with an uneven surface on which you want to engrave a name or anything else.
    I don't know if you have seen the video "Scanning uneven surfaces and turned parts" on my website.
    https://www.grblgru.com/VideoGallery

2. 2D -> 3D
    Another way to create STLs is to rotate / transform a 2D sketch.
    To do this, simply create a DXF sketch and use the 3D context menu item "-> 3D".

3. 3D -> 2D
    The opposite direction, 3D -> 2D can be achieved with the slicer. Here a STL object is sliced into individual 2D slices.

4. 3D-Templates
    Last but not least, there are the 3D templates that generate various standard objects. These can be configured via parameters.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to scan/digitize an existing object to create a stl (solid model) to copy it by cnc machining. Something like the attached picture. I'm sure this would be a monumental programing task.
    Maybe just moving the probe "manually" and creating points as a surface?
    I hope this explains what I'm trying to do.
    I will also revisit your videos.
    Thanks again.

Re: Surfacing tool and wrong picture

This should work. Imagine a frame or rectangle that encloses the subject.
    Position the measuring probe in the lower left corner of the rectangle and start the scan.
    Of course, a lot of measuring points will be measured on the base area, but you can remove them later, so that only the actual motif remains.
    You just have to set the parameter "Max. move" so that the measurement is not stopped when the probe hits the base surface.

With such smooth surfaces there is always the problem that the probe is pushed away especially at the edges and thus falsifies the measurement.
    If the object is made of metal, I recommend a simple electrical measurement.
    So e.g. a pointed needle instead of the probe, which is connected to the measuring input. The object must then be connected to ground.
    If the object is not conductive, you can also wrap it with silver foil. A slow feed during scanning also improves the measurement.

Re: Surfacing tool and wrong picture

I have been working with the scanning as you suggested and it works very well. However, it creates an stl file, which is fine, but I can't save just the points. You state in your reply that "lot of measuring points will be measured on the base area, but you can remove them later, so that only the actual motif remains". I'm not sure how to do that. Is there a setting that I'm missing when I scan? I don't see where I can save just the scan points.

Can you please save your measurements and provide them to me here.
    I will try to create a new function to elimate the base points.

Quote Originally Posted by GrblGru View Post
    Can you please save your measurements and provide them to me here.
    I will try to create a new function to elimate the base points.
    I'm not sure what you need but I'm attaching a 3d model (zip file) of a small test portion of what I scanned. Also the probing values of this model. I couldn't send the xml file. I hope these files are what you need. If these don't work for you let me know and I'll create a new set. Thanks for your help.

On second thought, I will create a new scan and see if I can get all the information to you.

Hi,
    I am testing your wonderful program to control a 5-axis polystyrene cutting machine (4 linear axes and one rotary axis).
    To do this I use GrblHal installed on STM32NucleoF411. everything seems to work correctly, however in GrblHal I named the axes "X Y a b" while in GrblGru the machine "FoamCutter" uses "X Y Z u" as axis name.
    My question is: should I reprogram GrblHal by changing the axes name or can I change the axes name directly in GrblGru?
    Thank you for all the work you have done with GrblGru.

I was able to create a new scan and all the information that I think you can use (I hope). I'm attaching a zip file with that information in it. Let me know if it's OK or if can do anything else. The scan is the bottom half of the grip 38mm x 60mm.
    You are doing a great job with this program and sharing it with everyone.
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

@flyfish
    thank you very much for the files. I have now understood the problem correctly and will create the base point deletion function mentioned earlier.
    Please give me a little time to do it. I'm on vacation next week and don't know if I can do it before then.
    I do have one question for you though. What do you need the STL for, what do you do with it ? To engrave the handle, for example, the existing STL would be sufficient.

@Ferdinando
    I am in the process of creating a way that you can freely choose the axis designations.
    But this will take some time, because this is going through the whole program.
    Until then I have to tell you to change the axis names in GrblHAL accordingly.
    The axis names a, b, c are usually used for rotary axes, while x, y, z, u, v, w are reserved for linear axes.

Hi, I am in no hurry, so whenever you get it done is OK.
    What I am trying to do is create a stl that I can machine in wood and be able to duplicate it multiple times. Final finishing is done by hand, sanding and filing. I also have some other grips that are more complicated. Might have raised figures (birds or animals) on them.
    I'm going to run a tool path on the sample that I sent you to see how it comes out.
    Thanks again for your time.
    Is it possible for me to send you a link to my website in a private email?

hi,
    thank you for your reply.
    I have already renamed the axes on GrblHal, but being able to define them on GrblGru as well would be great.
    I will now try to draw my polystyrene cutting machine in STL format to understand the various issues.

I have two questions:
    can I by myself define in GrblGru two buttons that allow me to move two axes simultaneously? (vertical-vertical, horizontal-horizontal).
    Can I define a button to turn the wire heater on and off?

I saw the section for programming macro buttons, very nice.

Thanks again for your time

And it is possible to use it with a 5-axis foam cutting machine.

@flyfish
    I tried to send you a private message here in the forum.
    But you did not enable the reception.

@Ferdinando
    Yes, you can make the buttons yourself.
    Here 2 examples to move 100mm with both axes together:
    [Cut_Up]
    G1 G91 F500 y100 z100
    [Cut_Down]
    G1 G91 F500 y-100 z-100
    Here is an example to switch a relay at the coolant output A3
    [Heater on]
    M8
    [Heater off]
    M9

@Slidinghawk
    This is a nice model. If you provide me with a Step or Iges model, I'd be happy to make you a model for GrblGru of it.

Page 29 of 38 192728293031