588,657 active members*
5,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Hello Eugene,

Let me clarify that I am not a headhunter and don't have a job to offer. I'm just expressing my opinion on job search.

First, you have 20 years of experience in your field. That's nothing to shake a stick at. Companies everywhere would love to have someone that sticks to their duties that long. It shows persistence, determination and an obvious talent in what you do - after all, you have made a living doing what you do for this long.

You have supervisory experience. That tells hiring managers that you can do your work and somebody else's work too. You are responsible at what you do and can guide others at theirs.

Forgive me for getting my nose into this but, I hope you meant that you "make in the 20s..." dollars an hour. If you're making in the $20K a year then you definitely need a new job. Money talk is always tough because you obviously want the most they will give you but don't want to overprice yourself out of the position. Do a little research before you get there. Just because you know what you're getting paid now doesn't mean that's what the position should pay. Give them a range of salary you are willing to work with. This will be the figure you expect to negotiate within. From your current salary to a fair maximum. There's few reasons why you would change jobs for less money

Realize that you will bring a set of skills and dedication to the company that hires you and that your work will make THEM money. You are THE most important asset that a company can have and you resume and demeanor should reflect this. I'm not suggesting arrogance but a common understanding that says that if they hire you, they will have an advantage over their competitors. Like when they buy that new CNC machine... it's an investment they know will make them money.

When you're interviewing let others know how you can improve their bottom line. Simple as that. Talk as if you are already in the position. Be confident (but not puffed) and honest. You don't have to - and is not expected that you - know everything. If there's a skill they need and you don't have show that you are ready to learn it as you have done in the past 20 years. Have an open mind to new challenges and be willing to step outside your comfort zone in terms of what your looking for.

Boy, I sure hope I'm not overstepping the lines here.

Best of lucks,
    JR

Hi:
    Things are not entirely what they seem to be in China: The prediction was that China was going to overshadow the US economy by this year. Not so, the numbers (guesses that the world bank made) are close to 40% lower than anticipated. There are close to 100 million people, and growing below the poverty line in China). So what does that mean? China and other developing nations like India cannot and will not bypass the growth/recession cycles that it takes to become powerful like N.America. There is a huge disparity (no big middle class) between have and have not in China. How long before there are huge internal problems?
    So here's my point: We had about 15 years of amazing growth and prosperity, we borrowed heavily into our future (guess who bought the debt?), and now we're in a recession, that in turn will effect China's growth, as we're the primary consumersof their exports...... we've got to weather it out.
    I'm a blue collar guy through and through, and I feel really bad for all the skilled trades being laid off, or taking a drastic cut in pay.

regards

I don't understand worldwide trade, deficits, etc. I will say this. Company I work for has purchased several companies in China including at least one foundry. We had this one brass casting originally all American made. Now the part comes to us from China with the one end finished and the other side having the O.D. turned to size and the shoulder finished. The thru hole is finished, face grooves are done, 2 sets of peripheral holes are drilled. I was told the price for us with all this work done (including shipping) was less than what we could buy the casting for in this country.

Quality is poor. A brass hex job machined complete in China requires us to rework 100% of them before we can use the parts. Thousands of pieces.

Money is a sore spot with me. Almost 23 years with the same company. I know this doesn't mean much. I work with a couple guys with over 30 years at this company. I knew more after a year than they will ever know. Took a college course a few years ago with a guy who said he had 23 years experience and was a first class machinist. We were taking a Mastercam course. He was wanting to get into programming. I knew from the questions he was asking that I would never hire him to program for me.

Had a guy come in a few years ago when we were looking for another programmer. Said he had been programming Okumas for 2 years. Must have been conversational programming because he didn't know that a drill was programmed at X0. So much for experience. It often doesn't tell you much about the man.

I asked for a raise last summer after going 5-1/2 years without one. Was told that I could work more hours if I needed more money. I get up at 4 a.m. and get home anywhere from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Don't need more hours of work. I worked untold number of hours overtime for free over the years before I went on hourly. The owner, and the son now running the business, both know this. They have stopped in at 9 to 10 p.m. to check on things, and found me there still working. I don't feel I should have to ask for a raise in the first place. I don't work the hours I use to. Company raised he$$ when I first went on hourly wages. They didn't like paying me for the hours I had been putting in. They were now concerned about my health and the 50 mile drive home I make after work. Haha.

I don't think it unreasonable to at least get a cost of living increase every year. I don't mind not being a millionaire. However, I would like to keep up with inflation if at all possible. Like most Americans, I think our buying power should increase with any luck...and hard work.

However, I am not alone. Don't know if it is just our company or if all are this way, but it is very hard for anyone making decent money to get a raise. Some have gone longer than I without one. New employees hired with no experience get a raise easier because they are making next to nothing anyway. Trouble is the 3 of us with some knowledge have to be responsible for everybody else. Not necessarily fair, it's just the way it is.

One of the lathe set-up guys has called me Dr. Dale for years. Got a problem...see me. Problem solved. Maintenance guy and head of QC often call me the same name. All the lathes currently in our shop have been purchased since I started. Often I was the first one to set them up, and then showed the foreman or operator how to run them.

I always tell anyone thinking of getting into this business to forget it. Find something else to do. A good waiter or waitress can make more money.

End of rant.

Quote Originally Posted by cncjobs View Post
    Hey this is just my job, The shops in michigan will only pay them so much they dont care how much skill they have
    Then, they will get what they pay for. YOU specifically asked a question: Why is it so hard to find CNC people? Answer: Because the $$$ isn't there. Experienced guys are not going to even bother with $15/hr.

There is no real impetus or drive for young people to even go INTO this line of work, the amount of resources needed to train them is usually not available nor sought after (ie: vocational schools, apprenticeships, etc). When I graduated High School, I didn't even know what a Tool and Die Maker WAS, now I am one.
    The amount of knowledge and experience it takes to be really good at this work is immense. It merits compensation.
    Shop owners that complain about it and bleat on about how hard it is for THEM, need to re-evaluate their situation. YOU bought/started the Shop, YOU take the good with the bad. If YOU can't find good help, YOU started your shop in the wrong location.

Page 3 of 3 123