588,227 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Beware of build 769
Page 3 of 6 12345
    Chips,can you post an example file??

no disrespect meant...but no...this build is BUGGY! PERIOD! I just do not have the time to waste any longer... another 4 hours wasted on this trying to figure it out..

I gave it a fair chance with a open mind...at times i love it...but when i program and have all the issues i had noticed pop up yesterday and today...it is a mess...

man this thing is showing layers that are not there and plus on top of that subtract layers that are not there or not subtract at all only subtract partial layer...JESUS ! Tools being change to something in the default library after saving the file.. compound ops being introduced with i have that not selected to do... and the simulations killing my
    CPU and cores..(maxing out 100%)

Bobcad...Al & Sean and others this should be fixed...this update has many issues and it all are not regarding simulations... for real guys.... release BUILD 911 already...
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

Please Post a File

Big Chips

Please Post a file so someone can help, I`ve not had any issues so far with Boolean add/subtract etc, are you making the part you want to subtract a little "proud" of the bit you want to subtract from so you can "get a hold" of it better ? ?

I always leave some sticking out as it can be a major PIA trying to select the right solid if they have the same height surface

Question on the "maxing out", is it only when you try to simulate or is it when you are calculating the tool paths ? ?

Regards

Before I forget.. Thanks for the input guys. I have a ?functional? copy again.

Just to be fair, I only set V25 up 2 weeks ago. Is also the first real shot I have given BobCam. Too limited IMHO.
    Quite unhappy that the rotary axis would not post... Was lead to believe it was not activated... Spend more time to end up at "you need to install the update"

I am pretty pissed that the (BobCam) put me on a path (sold me the video instructions), that would all be made useless when I installed the update. Then lost another day trying to figure out why working files would no longer post.... And now the NEW videos, are obsolete.

I got most functions restored ONCE I set up a new BOBCAM machine using a BOBCAM post. Not one of the Fanuc posts I downloaded from the BobCam work. If you install the update (769), you will use BobCam 3mill post or you will not post!

Simulator works like crap now. Half the time, I get a "paper thin sheet" of stock on one surface of the part. (just surface stock with no depth)

Remote access was allowed for BobCam to see what was wrong...
    They said I was using a "slow computer"...
    I'm not using some old dog computer...
    I'm using an i7-3610QM @ 2.3 GHz with 12 gig ram, with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670m (super speed & graphics)
    No extras installed. No chrome, or outlook or even antivirus.
    Memory usage jumps to 800meg+ just attempting to load simulator. Not even Corel or Vetric Aspire pops my system that hard running at the same time. (I have a personal unit with lots of goodies loaded).

Very happy I use other software for personal use. I don't have enough time to play with this "pro" software

''"Simulator works like crap now. Half the time, I get a "paper thin sheet" of stock on one surface of the part. (just surface stock with no depth)""
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z height.JPG  

[QUOTE=The Engine Guy;1189214]Big Chips

Please Post a file so someone can help, I`ve not had any issues so far with Boolean add/subtract etc, are you making the part you want to subtract a little "proud" of the bit you want to subtract from so you can "get a hold" of it better ? ?

I always leave some sticking out as it can be a major PIA trying to select the right solid if they have the same height surface

Question on the "maxing out", is it only when you try to simulate or is it when you are calculating the tool paths ? ?

Regards[/QUO

when i simulate...

Question.. i am using a hass oem post.....and it works for me..SHOULD i try the bobcad xmill3 post? of course this has nothing to do with the bugs i am experiencing while drawing...right?.

Quote Originally Posted by JEST View Post

Simulator works like crap now. Half the time, I get a "paper thin sheet" of stock on one surface of the part. (just surface stock with no depth)
    I agree that the simulation isn`t as good as it used to be, I don`t get quite the same quality as before and it does seem to be using more of my PCs resources than before but nowhere near the "lock up/max out" stage

Quote Originally Posted by JEST View Post
    Remote access was allowed for BobCam to see what was wrong...
    They said I was using a "slow computer"...
    I'm not using some old dog computer...
    I'm using an i7-3610QM @ 2.3 GHz with 12 gig ram, with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670m (super speed & graphics)
    No extras installed. No chrome, or outlook or even antivirus.
    Memory usage jumps to 800meg+ just attempting to load simulator. Not even Corel or Vetric Aspire pops my system that hard running at the same time. (I have a personal unit with lots of goodies loaded).
    I would be inclined to agree that your PC isn`t running at the speed it should be with the specification it appears to have, I have "less??" than you but do not have the problems you appear to have, I have :-

i7 Quad Core split to 8 logical processors
    8Gb Ram
    nVidia Quadro 600 1Gb memory Graphics card

Here is my little test, I can run the BobCAD simulation and also run my Corel X5 Pro Video capture software and make a video (Native wmv file) of the simulation without any problem, then I can run the video back in Win Media Player and also run the BobCAD simulation again as the video is playing, now the clincher, I can again run my Corel X5 Pro and do a video capture of both the BobCAD simulation and the video playing

Pretty good eh ? ? But wait, while all that is going on I can watch a music video on You Tube at the same time

No BS here, it works ! ! !

To be honest I haven`t bothered trying to do any more than that, it would seem to say that if I can run all that on my PC with less spec than you then there has to be a problem with your PC.

The two (I think it is two) main differences between us not counting the RAM would appear to be :-

1) Graphics card, may not be handling the data in the best manner causing it to have to run too hard, Quadro series cards are recommended by several CadCAM software companies because of the way they handle data.

2) I don`t know if you are running one but I use SSD drives these days, the difference in speed over a conventional type drive is phenomenal, even my 15,000rpm SCSII drives don`t come close performance wise.

Before I tried the SSD drives I really didn`t think it would make such a huge difference but it does.

Just my opinion but to me those would be the two areas to look at first

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chips View Post

when i simulate...
    Graphics Card and or possibly Hard Drive, I use SSD drives

Question.. i am using a hass oem post.....and it works for me..SHOULD i try the bobcad xmill3 post? of course this has nothing to do with the bugs i am experiencing while drawing...right?.
    I have tried the HAAS VF post and it works fine here, same goes for any of the Posts in the V25 Mill Posts folder, FAGOR, FADAL, OKUMA etc, etc, yes, they would need some "tweaking" to get them spot on but they all post without any issues and no matter which I use it doesn`t seem to affect the Simulation at all

Not getting any saving issues or saving to layers problems here, sorry can`t help you there

Regards

Just so you know,same as Rob,except I have only used my Haas Post.

i have a issue with the hass vf post....maybe you guys can help...

the tool starts cutting before the coolant starts....i did not have this issue in last build... it use to come on a few seconds before the tool started movement towards workpiece

how would one fix this?

more and more i think about this...i feel i should just roll back to what works....but i am damn sure trying to get this to work right...

Watch for the selection post box to drop the millpst file extn. I had this on my laptop / the only machine with the update on it. The others we left on the old build for now.

In the event my install of the new build goes funky. Whats considered the easiest way to roll back to the previous build??

uninstall and reinstall old build.....u can save your post file and tool files ect...from the bobcad data file and just copy and paste

i have a issue with the hass vf post....maybe you guys can help...

the tool starts cutting before the coolant starts....i did not have this issue in last build... it use to come on a few seconds before the tool started movement towards workpiece

how would one fix this?
    I have checked the HAAS VF post that was in the previous build 678 and it is no different to the one in build 769, however if you need a small delay then you can easily modify your post to put one in between the coolant on command and the actual cutting begins, see below :-

n,rapid_move,"G17","G40","G49",cancel_drill_cycle, measure_mode,movement_mode
    " "
    "(FIRST CUT - FIRST TOOL)"
    system_comment
    feature_name_comment
    " "
    "(TOOL #",list_tool_number," ", tool_diameter, " ", tool_name, ")"
    n,t,"M06"
    output_rotary_angle
    n,rapid_move,absolute_coord,work_coord,force_x,xr, force_y,yr, p_rot, s_rot, s,spindle_on
    n,rapid_move,length_offset,d_offset,zr,coolant_on
    n,"G4","P2"
    machining_mode

3. Tool change
    n,coolant_off
    n,spindle_off
    n,rapid_move,incremental_coord,"G28","Z0."
    n,optional_stop
    " "
    "(NEXT CUT - NEXT TOOL)"
    system_comment
    feature_name_comment
    " "
    "(TOOL #",list_tool_number, tool diameter, tool_name, ")"
    n,t,"M06"
    output_rotary_angle
    n,rapid_move,absolute_coord,work_coord,force_x,xr, force_y,yr, p_rot, s_rot, s,spindle_on
    n,rapid_move,length_offset,d_offset,zr,coolant_on
    n,"G4","P2"

So, with the mods above the machine will rapid to the X,Y work offset coords, then rapid down to the Z offset begin feed coords, it will then hold (G4 is a dwell command) for however many seconds you have put in the "P*", I just put it at "P2" just as an example.

or you can just move the coolant on command to a different line, see below :-

n,rapid_move,"G17","G40","G49",cancel_drill_cycle, measure_mode,movement_mode
    " "
    "(FIRST CUT - FIRST TOOL)"
    system_comment
    feature_name_comment
    " "
    "(TOOL #",list_tool_number," ", tool_diameter, " ", tool_name, ")"
    n,t,"M06"
    n,coolant_on
    output_rotary_angle
    n,rapid_move,length_offset,d_offset,zr,
    machining_mode

3. Tool change
    n,coolant_off
    n,spindle_off
    n,rapid_move,incremental_coord,"G28","Z0."
    n,optional_stop
    " "
    "(NEXT CUT - NEXT TOOL)"
    system_comment
    feature_name_comment
    " "
    "(TOOL #",list_tool_number, tool diameter, tool_name, ")"
    n,t,"M06"
    n,coolant_on
    output_rotary_angle
    n,rapid_move,length_offset,d_offset,zr,

In this mod the machine will do the tool change and then switch on the coolant before it goes to the first X,Y work offset coords, so in actual practice by the time the machine has done the rapid moves to the cutting X,Y,Z cutting coords the coolant should be in full flow

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by tubeguy View Post
    Watch for the selection post box to drop the millpst file extn. I had this on my laptop / the only machine with the update on it. The others we left on the old build for now.
    Tip, always do a good "copy and paste" of Post files, never do a "save as", that`s usually when the .Millpst extension is lost, usually defaults to a .txt extension

Regards

tried again today.
    BobCam staff was friendly for sure. Unable to help so far, but appear willing to try.

I promised that if and when they are able to help me manipulate the part and post it, I would at least retract a public "oh hell no". Maybe even refer/recommend it

Jest,

I was able to get the part to post out the value correctly. Using the 4x machine definition and post.

Part of what we are working on like I spoke with you about is the work offset correctly aligned with the part so that the Rotation axis would be parallel to you X...

The other part was adjusting the work offset values in the machine setup for the setup of the index. Which is measured by the work offset location on the part to the axis center of the indexer calculated in world coordinates.

Yes another fun topic to go over... But really it's not all the bad once you understand what is going on ( still learning myself)

Side Note:

If you want to manually put an index in ( because it may be easier to calculate the rotation value by hand) do not use an index system just set your work offset and manually put the Rotation value in the posting section of the feature you are working with.

Also if you are using an index system the value that is populated for the rotation may not be the value that is posted in the code. The main reason why is machine definition and post processing.

Jest in your example the rotation value showed 173.. or something like that but when posted came out to 17.5 or something like that. So just more things to learn.

The good news is I am excited to work with you on this part and the overall setup of your software. I know you are busy and I really appreciated you taking the time to talk with me today. I am sure we can get you going in the right direction soon enough.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

EG, Thanks for the tip, that explains alot.

Al & Jest, I sure would like you guys to post your resolution on the 4th issue when you get there. Im very interested in this area and Im sure there are lots of lurkers as well.

Interesting, I noticed last night at around 10:30 Pm there were 70+ viewers on the BC forum. I think thats most I have ever seen at once?

Just found this thread today,

So, How many are running the new build?

Is it working correctly, and is it worth installing?

Thanks

time is short today so...
    Most features seem to be coming into line now.
    I will try to get some pics/instructions on what I have been able to get done.

Biggest problem seems to have been the changing to 3x/4x Bobcam Post/Machine in order to get ANYTHING to post. Too much time spent fighting with a setup, when a warning about a total reset would have been quite helpful!

Al saw some of the problems I ran into... Solved several so far.
    All in all, looks usable now. Will have to wait some more for a recommendation...

Same here. Things are going ok. Found some minor irritation issues but nothing major. Although I'm not using it as complex as some here do, so their input would be good also. As stated previously, getting the post tuned to your machine with this new build is one of the keys.

Page 3 of 6 12345