587,699 active members*
3,647 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > New Owner of Novakon NM-200 series 1
Page 4 of 4 234

Re: New Owner of Novakon NM-200 series 1

Now that I might even come in on. I have a round column type mill that takes up space. Light rust everywhere due to a fire. Otherwise brand new Chinese machine. Clarification. It was not the heat of the fire that cause the rust. It was mainly the fire ext. I used and then had a bit of water added by the FD.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by hayes View Post
    Dan,
    If you're serious about this, please let me know, I'm very interested! Also, we might consider a new column casting or polymer concrete filled steel column. I can't believe how much flex there is in the column. I'm getting .002" in either Z+ or Z- directions just with hand pressure. I've checked torque on all the column bolts, and everything is tight.

Cheers,
    Josh
    My professor was out sick tonight so I had a little time while "watching" the video the sub put on. I started over on the new head casting. It may not look like much but its a very solid start, 3 vertical and 3 horizontal ribs and plenty of cast iron to allow the end user to build to the way they want. I will keep plugging away at a complete design with the intent of being used just for the BT30 spindle cartridge. It will require a new top plate and the end user to design their own draw bar release method.

-Dan

Attachment 272604 Attachment 272606

Attachment 272608 Attachment 272610

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Headstock Casting 5.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	272612 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Headstock Casting 6.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	272614

I dig it! I do have a question though as I just don't know the answer - what would be better from a manufacturing, cost and rigidity perspective - a steel weldment or aged and hardened cast iron casting?

Quote Originally Posted by hayes View Post
    I dig it! I do have a question though as I just don't know the answer - what would be better from a manufacturing, cost and rigidity perspective - a steel weldment or aged and hardened cast iron casting?
    Well aside from the cost of making the pattern for sand casting, a casting should be much cheaper than a fabrication like this. But making a pattern basically takes as much effort as a fabrication except in wood. I am hoping to I might be able to use the lost foam method and fabricate a copy of the headstock with the foam that is then packed with sand and when the iron is poured in the foam vaporizes.

A weldment will not absorb and suppress vibrations like a casting will. Plus a weldment will need a thorough stress reliving before machining. Additionally to make a mill headstock like this will take a fair amount of time and some expensive pieces of steel. I took a quick look for the steel stock (all higher grade than A36) and I came up with $400-500 in raw stock before cutting, fabricating, welding, heat treat. Stepping down to A36 cuts the cost down to $250-400.

Sometime in the next couple weeks I am going to stop a local foundry that does small odds and ends parts too see what they think of the design I have come up with and see if they can give me a ball park price. At that point I will take a serious look at what path I want to go down.

-Dan

Page 4 of 4 234