587,163 active members*
3,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Milli a new composite mill kit
Page 49 of 109 3947484950515999

Re: Milli a new composite mill kit

Quote Originally Posted by ardenum View Post
    SK40? Where are you getting the cartridge from?
    SK40 is same as American CAT40 or BT40 with V notch for orientation.
    In europe most common is SK40 or on newer faster machines HSK63A.

I have some quotes from SWIFT machinery or FUKA spindle cartidges i think they are the same as in your link
    Product Line

i also have quotes from microlabs
    https://www.twspindle.com/direct-drive-spindle.htm

All have pretty much same price cca. 2000$ usd + shipping and 250$ pressure booster as they have hydraulic clamping.

I'm searching if i can get something similar local so i dont have to pay additional customs and taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by lukahr View Post
    SK40 is same as American CAT40 or BT40 with V notch for orientation.
    In europe most common is SK40 or on newer faster machines HSK63A.

I have some quotes from SWIFT machinery or FUKA spindle cartidges i think they are the same as in your link
    Product Line

i also have quotes from microlabs
    https://www.twspindle.com/direct-drive-spindle.htm

All have pretty much same price cca. 2000$ usd + shipping and 250$ pressure booster as they have hydraulic clamping.

I'm searching if i can get something similar local so i don't have to pay additional customs and taxes.
    Yea that's the same company, thanks for that microlabs info, I very much prefer to order in Taiwan than China.

SK(german) is quite different to BT(japanese). I was sure SK spindles are at least twice the price of BT. And HSK even more than that.

7:24 ISO Taper -- SK
    7:24 ISO Taper -- BT

By the way, impressive build you have there.

Hi All - Been side tracked with a Mum in hospital but all good now, so back to it. Prep the alox mould tomorrow... Peter

UHPC machines by ABEL

https://www.abel-cnc-design.com/beto...nenk%C3%B6rper

Evening all - More work on the plank moulds done. More wax needed and need to decide where the feeder goes. Now can measure volume and estimate alox and epoxy and get set for the pour.... Peter

I don't recall, are you going to do an ATC for milli?

Hi Jon - Didn't plan to but this has come up. Being my first mill I wanted to keep it really simple. But I could extend the gantry as a future ATC.. Off to do more waxing, enjoy Easter all you lot... Peter

Evening all - Today I filled the plank mould. The dry fill worked out to 60% solids volume so I'm happy with that. Could have added a little bit more but 60% is a happy figure. I then poured in the correct amount of resin and watched it seep thru. Seemed to be light on so added some more and closed up. There's gaps and cracks to fill so maybe that is needed. Will know tomorrow Prefer using vacuum for this sort of thing but in a bigger part a dry pour will be easier... Its only 20deg C here and high humidity, not good for epoxy casting but that's my lot for the day. I've just finished a warming cabinet for my wifes Honey will also make a great post cure oven for parts been running at 32C for the last day will need a bigger element for 60degs...

Haven't progressed Milli the design in a while, we've been very busy burrowing down the materials rabbit hole. So I went back and reviewed the thread in terms of design. What I have learnt is that the rail size is very important, bigger is best. The triangular gantry and carriage have been very successful. The machine base has been a sticking point in stiffness and weight. And in my head the moving table with the drive underneath has always sat uncomfortably with me. So I had a look at Datrons again and that's the style I really wanted in the beginning. So next time I start CAD I'll move towards a fixed table design. This means the gantry has to move in two directions which maybe an issue maybe not. Been there before but have new knowledge now so maybe a different solution will appear... Will release the plank in the morning, its like Xmas eve.... For this design I will need a 6 axis break out board if I want to include a rotary can anyone suggest a good one? Peter

I can't speak from experience but after some research I decided to go down UCCNC route. An alternative was Centroid. But I guess it's best to have someone who actually has experience with either to chip in.

As for a moving gantry, remember that one with 5 rails? Maybe that's the way to go(not with 5 rails but the frame design). Modig Rigimill.

https://www.hasmak-t.com/cms-uploads...ginal-ver1.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    ...For this design I will need a 6 axis break out board if I want to include a rotary can anyone suggest a good one?
    Isn't the first question more on what controller you are going to use? I've used Centroid Acorn with good results on my plate router, that doesn't need any breakout boards(only 4 axis if my memory serves me right)...for my current project i'm going with LinuxCNC and EtherCAT and that solutions doesn't require any breakout boards aswell... I went with ethercat to get rid of as many cables as possible and minimize possible sources of electrical errors...

When you posted that Modig mill weeks ago, I did a mockup, just dug it out.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2xljc...hiiie.sat/file

Morning All - I use UCCNC and that can handle 6 axes so no prob there, but need a BOB. This morning I decided since I have the honey warmer I should post cure the plank. So I set it up at 45C and will release it tomorrow. If it gets to 45C and is steady I'll bump it to 50C. The 40C cure time is 16 hrs and 60C is 8hrs. I'll see how hot the warmer can get to today... Peter

Morning All - I noticed that on of the steel reinforced blocks I made nearly two months ago has spot rusted on the surface. If I use steel I intended to coat the parts in epoxy so this probably wouldn't happen. But good to know. I'll have to find a use for the 25kg of steel fibres I have left over... Peter

Afternoon All & Sundry - The warmer is working well. Its an old commercial vertical freezer we were given. Holds 50C no problem with a 250W element... So my future parts can be easily post cured...Gantries maybe a bit big though and I have to tidy the wiring now I know it works.... I've made several ovens over time so maybe make a big one later...So will release the Plank lunchtime tomorrow...Peter

ARGGGGGGGG - One of my website emails has had intermittent issues since it was set up. My provider keeps saying its all good at their end>>> Today I went on a rampage and sorted it. 1) a typo in an address hidden deep in a microsoft menu, one letter missing and 2) a password issue and its fixed!! But then over 100 emails came through up to a year old!! So now I have to send out some apologies and some people must think I'm rude!! Tomorrows breakfast then release the plank!! Peter

ARGGGGGGGG - One of my website emails has had intermittent issues since it was set up. My provider keeps saying its all good at their end>>> Today I went on a rampage and sorted it. 1) a typo in an address hidden deep in a microsoft menu, one letter missing and 2) a password issue and its fixed!! But then over 100 emails came through up to a year old!! So now I have to send out some apologies and some people must think I'm rude!! Tomorrows breakfast then release the plank!! Peter
    Yikes, all those potential clients.

Morning All - I use UCCNC and that can handle 6 axes so no prob there, but need a BOB. This morning I decided since I have the honey warmer I should post cure the plank. So I set it up at 45C and will release it tomorrow. If it gets to 45C and is steady I'll bump it to 50C. The 40C cure time is 16 hrs and 60C is 8hrs. I'll see how hot the warmer can get to today... Peter
    Is this any good to you Peter?

https://www.cncroom.com/interface-cards/ub1

Hi Sash - The diagonal bracing is not needed at the back. This plane is outside the loadpath for machining so is not efficient use of material. Better to put the weight into the machine bed vs the frame. Design it in two pieces A) The machine bed and B) the frame. In this way its easier to break down for transport and its easier to true the machine bed vs the entire frame which will be massively stiff... The frame can be quite light but the bed has to be stiff.. Peter

There are two considerations in the bed 1) plunging stiffness and 2) XY stiffness. If your only doing profile panel work then XY is important. If your doing moulds and lots of heavy plunging then you will need more cross members to create a stiff bed....Plunging takes a lot of load!

Good Morning All - time for those clichés - the good, the bad and the ugly, all care but no responsibility, try try again, if at first etc etc.... so the good news is; its out of the mould. The worst news is that when I was dressing it, I dropped it on the floor and broke it!! Damn but I suppose this may have happened during test as well so even stephens. Its about 6.5-7mm thick and that explains the extra resin needed so the top mould didn't pull down on the mould proper. The primed timber I used for the edges is odd. The wax solvent must have lifted the primer and the epoxy got thru and it went very weird... I was going to use plastic edges and should have.

so now I'll dress it and then have a look at deflections... Probably plan a new test piece with 20/20 hindsight vision.... Peter

Hi Sterob - Yes the UC line of stuff is good and I get it from a local supplier.... Peter

Evening all you motley lot - well here's some photos of the deflection. The 60% by volume alox should be the same density as aluminium (3950x0.6)+(1050x0.4) and gravity should be the same so the difference should be the material modulus (and geometry). The geometry of the alox plank is poor but I think its not up to 70GPa plus. I modelled the aluminium in FE and under gravity it should deflect 5.9mm. I measure average to be 7mm so close given the rig errors. Its easy to move the end up and down a bit by adjusting the clamp....The alox is about 12mm so maybe 35GPa. So I'll think it through and do another test plank. Under partial vacuum would be much better as this would clamp the mould much better... The plank feels quite good but the gravity test is clear at the moment... Rome wasn't built in a day as they say... Oh its hard stuff, the emery linisher and drum sander didn't like it much today when I dressed the bits... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plank delta 2.jpg  

With a fear of ending in yet another "mother vs. daugther"-discussion on this subject: Why the obsession with the dry-packing when you have such poor results? With such an easy form, why not just wet mix and then vacuum-bag it? I've never had these issues and results turn out close to perfect 99% of the time...

Page 49 of 109 3947484950515999