588,674 active members*
6,916 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 49 of 460 3947484950515999149
    Yep! Bottom dwellers, catfish, carp, oysters, clams, mollusks of all stripes, crab, shrimp.....

Sh@#t Sharks all!
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Shotout View Post
    ....Seriously though, hats? You mean people put something made out a possum on their heads?!?....
    Well up here they were coonskin hats but coons don't live in New Zealand.

Actually there is a big business down there for possum fur; all the tourist shops have gloves, mittens, slippers, jackets, etc to flog to the American tourists on the cruise ships.

And actually kidney is better than liver, healthwise. Kidneys just process stuff and get rid of it, livers store it. Eat livers from any long lived fish and you get a good dose of mercury.

Road kill, yes done that, with a pheasant I hit with a car; at least I knew how long it had been dead.

And why not divert this thread to something more pleasant than bashings idiots.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Dear One of Many,

Sorry, but I will have to disagree about liver. If well cooked in a good sauce, lambs liver is an excellent main course. Pigs liver is not so good. IMVVHO, it does tend to be a bit rubbery, so we do seem to have agreement.

(If you have read this far, I would imagine that you may think that the post comes from some kind of Hannibal Lector). Heh heh heh.

Anyway, let us return to the gross habits of the creatures that live in the sea.

There is a location in the Solent, (a stretch of water that is between Southampton and the Isle of Wight at the south end of the UK), where it was an absolutely dead-cert that you could catch large bass . The name of the the buoy that marked the spot was "Sewer". Yes indeed, the end of the pipe that discharged all the crap from a large city into the sea.

Great tasting fish though...

Best wishes,

Martin

Hay Martin,
    Apparently the discharge from a local nuclear plant was suppose to kill the marine life.Apparently some of the workers catch fish for lunch.Being 20 below to day if I was a fish I would shurley like the warmer waters.I cannot say for sure,but I hear they glow in the dark
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Quote Originally Posted by lgalla View Post
    I cannot say for sure,but I hear they glow in the dark
    Larry
    Dear Larry,

This is excellent news. All you have to do is hook them up as bait, and go night fishing.

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post

<snip>

More pleasant than bashing them and more pleasant than they themselves.

And besides, you can be sure of the fact and fiction in these missives!
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Actually there is a big business down there for possum fur; all the tourist shops have gloves, mittens, slippers, jackets, etc to flog to the American tourists on the cruise ships.

And actually kidney is better than liver, healthwise. Kidneys just process stuff and get rid of it, livers store it. Eat livers from any long lived fish and you get a good dose of mercury.

Road kill, yes done that, with a pheasant I hit with a car; at least I knew how long it had been dead.

I couldn't agree more......we idiots(uhhhh civilized conservatives) take enough heat for things beyond our control as it is. Not that we don't ask for some of it(as any duped voters can be blamed), but hey, there is plenty of that stuff to go around for all walks of life. No broad brush required!

I've never tried kidney, but beef tongue, heart and chicken giblets were common in the early 70's when my Father was laid off in the Boeing down turn of those years. You guy's might not remember, but around here billboards read.... "Will the last person to leave Seattle, please turn off the lights?" (with a billboard sized light switch in the picture). Scary for a 10 year old and a questionable future.

We did survive those lean years some how. I recall Mom getting cases of chicken in a big gallon can the size I had never seen before but paint and coffee. Fast forward 10 years later when I had married and forgotten all about chicken in a can. Mom was inviting us over and making these really tasty chicken filled biscuits we all looked forward to. For some frugal reason my Mother had not used a few of those institutional canned chicken commodities, but she eventually found something to do with them.

Once I figured out where that chicken came from, I renamed her "secret recipe" "Botulism Biscuits" from that day on! No, we never did get food poisoning, the chicken was fine. 30 years later the name has stuck, but the recipe is still a top pick with my own children.

DC

Mmmmmmmmm.........giblet gravy over bread stuffing with cranberry sauce and a chicken thigh!
    My Dad, his dad and his dad before him are all spinning in their graves just because I just had such vivid thoughts of their favorite dishes!

Quote Originally Posted by One of Many View Post
    .... You guy's might not remember, but around here billboards read.... "Will the last person to leave Seattle, please turn off the lights?" (with a billboard sized light switch in the picture). Scary for a 10 year old and a questionable future.....DC
    You are dating yourself, and yes I remember it quite well. If you were only 10 years old you maybe don't know the underlying reason. As far as I recall/understand it was mostly related to the cancellation of the SST project coupled with the Iran hostage affair and the 'Energy Crisis' of the mid '70s due to OPEC turning off the taps.

And I suppose I am dating myself.

Incidentally: 'Botulism Biscuits' is bacteriologically wrong; they would be 'Salmonella Biscuits'. Which can be just as terminal; the difference is with botulism you are paralyzed whereas with salmonella you have abdominal pains and violent diarrhea.

Tongue, heart and giblets were common in my diet as a youngster; the reason I don't eat chicken or beef now is that it is not necessary because I do eat fish for protein, and I refuse to support the intensive beef and chicken industry because I think the treatment of animals in feedlots and intensive chicken batteries is inhumane.

You are dating yourself, and yes I remember it quite well. If you were only 10 years old you maybe don't know the underlying reason. As far as I recall/understand it was mostly related to the cancellation of the SST project coupled with the Iran hostage affair and the 'Energy Crisis' of the mid '70s due to OPEC turning off the taps.

And I suppose I am dating myself.

Incidentally: 'Botulism Biscuits' is bacteriologically wrong; they would be 'Salmonella Biscuits'. Which can be just as terminal; the difference is with botulism you are paralyzed whereas with salmonella you have abdominal pains and violent diarrhea.

Tongue, heart and giblets were common in my diet as a youngster; the reason I don't eat chicken or beef now is that it is not necessary because I do eat fish for protein, and I refuse to support the intensive beef and chicken industry because I think the treatment of animals in feedlots and intensive chicken batteries is inhumane.
    Geez Geof, sometimes you can be so technically banal.

It was just a light hearted food related story that required no pinpoint accuracy in all facets of history or food related dangers, but I do appreciate the clarified history and FDA lessons topped off with your personal conviction. Maybe I'll try harder next time to cover every minute detail. Nah!, not gonna happen. I'm too much a laymen for that!

I suppose chewing the fish and savoring it's flavor can be considered inhumane too? Do you verify it is not farm raised fishy or verified not branded with a hot iron, net caught not hooked somehow? The way you put it, it sounds so esoteric for a mere mortal like myself. Glad that choice is working out for your sensibilities. Though now, I feel us land grazing carnivores don't meat your standards of protien eat-a-cut without considering the animal rights aspect of a meal!

The only meat I won't eat is if I can't recognise what it used to be in the fridge and don't wiggle going down! Although donor organs I am still a bit squeamish on!

Giving credit where due. A lot more would follow suit if they had to kill it, clean it and package it rather than just pick it up at the store where all the gruesome work is out of sight, out of mind.

DC

..........A lot more would follow suit if they had to kill it, clean it and package it rather than just pick it up at the store where all the gruesome work is out of sight, out of mind.

DC
    As a farm raised boy, the only difference between the kill of domestic and hunt killed animals was the distance from the house. Sensibilities in this area leave me bewildered.

Arctic chill stretches coast to coast
    A little more GW news!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GW1.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Geez Geof, sometimes you can be so technically banal. ....DC
    Technically banal people are the ones who keep your highly technical society running smoothly; it is much better to be at that end of the spectrum of knowledge than at the other.

Have you ever been in an intensive chicken, beef or pig farm? Do you really consider the way the animals live is natural? Free range I am perfectly happy with, hunting for food I am happy with if indeed it is for food. It is not the method of killing that I disagree with it is the method of living beforehand.

Technically banal people are the ones who keep your highly technical society running smoothly; it is much better to be at that end of the spectrum of knowledge than at the other.

Have you ever been in an intensive chicken, beef or pig farm? Do you really consider the way the animals live is natural? Free range I am perfectly happy with, hunting for food I am happy with if indeed it is for food. It is not the method of killing that I disagree with it is the method of living beforehand.
    While that may be true for specific discussions which need emendation. Applying it to silly little stories tends to be old school anal retentive where it diminishes the joy in sharing it. Kind of like getting cracked on the back of the knuckles with a ruler, for not pleasing your headmaster. As if there were more of a superiority thrill in the punishment and hierarchy than any other lesson.

The only thing that I concern myself with is whether the food is safe to consume. So, in like analogous terms. It is much better to be at one end of the food chain than the other; These truths I hold to be self evident over living things. If I began taking pity on how meat gets to the local grocer, it will snowball into tears for corn and oats, then go protesting for ethical treatment over HEADS of lettuce! Where does the internal agony stop?

In one sense, I can relate. My Grand Parents had a small farm with cows and chickens. Errrr Bovines and Foul to be technically correct. LOL!

One summer visit we all ran out to see Bessie the milk cow we would ride around like a horse, but she was nowhere to be found. Grandpa was out working in the barn, so we asked him where she went. With a slight chuckle he said, "Well....the last time I seen her she was in the freezer down in the cellar!"

The shock lasted until about dinner time. That was some of the best darn good Roast Bessie I ever had!:violin:

DC

While that may be true for specific discussions which need emendation. Applying it to silly little stories tends to be old school anal retentive where it diminishes the joy in sharing it. Kind of like getting cracked on the back of the knuckles with a ruler, for not pleasing your headmaster. As if there were more of a superiority thrill in the punishment and hierarchy than any other lesson......DC
    Well you have not completely missed the point; I thought for a while you had.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails attachment.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    A little more GW please!

So.....Geof, what do you propose to those millions that get fed by intensive chicken, beef or pig farms? Do without? I understand where you are coming from, but to put this in light of this thread, where is the answer?

Did you read on the net this past week about the chimp in (????) someplace in Europe, where people were attempting to have it declared legally a person so he could receive benefits??? Just like gw, if the camel ever gets his nose under the tent, it will be like floodgates opening. Animals do not have rights other than to be cared for humanely. How much more humanely can you be cared for that to get fed every time you think about it? The chickens and swine are kept in temp controlled conditions and have it much better than the homeless that inhabit the bridges in every large city in the US. I am sure the same problem is in other places as well.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    So.....Geof, what do you propose to those millions that get fed by intensive chicken, beef or pig farms?
    <snip>
    Animals do not have rights other than to be cared for humanely.
    <snip>
    Mike

Two things.

I think Geof was expressing a personal preference, not trying to impose his precepts on the rest of us.

In order to have rights one must be able to inter into a contract. Cognizance is the key.

The first of your rights, life, can be rescinded if you violate the contract with society. (ie; death penalty) No contract/no rights!

(human right are recieved from GOD!)

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    So.....Geof, what do you propose to those millions that get fed by intensive chicken, beef or pig farms? Do without? I understand where you are coming from, but to put this in light of this thread, where is the answer? .....Mike
    Okay to put it in the light of this thread. Food is unavoidably going to become much more expensive and the economic difference between free range and intensive will get smaller. It may even go the other way with free range being less expensive; certainly the energy used to grow the free range is less. Free range also has far less wide ranging detrimental effects; go read about the so called 'Dead Zone' from eutrophication in the Gulf of Mexico which is largely a result of fertilizer run-off from corn operations. And those millions who currently get an over abundance of low cost food? Actually more expensive food in less abundant supply will be good for a great many people. Somewhere in this (wide ranging) thread there was mention of medical services. One of the largest loads on the medical system in any developed country is the burden from people suffering the detrimental health effects of too much and the wrong type of food. I find it rather stupid for a person to insist on their 'right' to gorge on whatever they want and then pop-off from a massive heart attack in their fifties.

It does not matter what way you look at it and what you believe there will be significant changes. Either due to direct government interference, indirect government interference as in subsidizing ethanol and diverting food grain away from food production, or due to economic forces. You might object to government interference, you might be able to influence it; you are not going to have much effect on economic forces.

EDIT: I actually skipped over the bit about animal rights; a lot of that is idiotic. My view is that humans have a responsibility to treat other living creatures humanely; failing to live up to this demeans us as humans. Rearing animals in comfortable conditions and then slaughtering them quickly and as painlessly as possible is humane. Rearing them in conditions where they peck or chew each other or themselves is not humane.

Page 49 of 460 3947484950515999149