587,786 active members*
4,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Wood Router Project Log > WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle
Page 53 of 91 343515253545563
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1805

Re: WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spi

And to think, I could have bought a nice Dodge RAM pickup for what the Monster cost me! (I'll take the Monster )
    I don't know.... I think I could have built two of those Monsters for what my truck cost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Truck.jpg  
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spi

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I don't know.... I think I could have built two of those Monsters for what my truck cost.
    Sorry Gerry, I prefer my pickup's old & covered in mud! Not new & fancy!

Finally, the new spindle has arrived!

To my surprise, the post office dropped off the new spindle this afternoon! So I quickly inspected everything, and found ZERO problems! On my first attempt to install the spindle, I noticed the OD was 0.04mm smaller than the Hyun Yang spindles! This "Rattm Motor" has a bigger plug & socket for the VFD cable too! So I put the spindle-clamps in the vise, and milled .005" off the tops. This tightened the clamp space just enough! Then I used an ohm-meter to see which of the four pins were being used. Next I removed the old plug, and soldered the cable to the new one. Now I can position the spindle in the z-slide, and tighten it. After connecting the water lines, I turned on the pump and checked for leaks!

With the new spindle installed, I need to set all the parameters in the Inverter. Then I turned on the monster, and ran the spindle with an exercise g-code until the spindle warmed up to 91.4°F (33°C) and the thermostat triggered an e-stop, shutting everything down! Now this was just a test, as I really do not know what temperature this spindle will level off at during a heavy work load. So I'll have to keep an eye on the temp's and raise the point at which the thermostat trips!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_2164.jpg   9x5_Router_2165.jpg   9x5_Router_2166.jpg   9x5_Router_2167.jpg  

9x5_Router_2168.jpg   9x5_Router_2170.jpg   9x5_Router_2171.jpg   9x5_Router_2172.jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

With all the safeguards you have on this sucker, you should not have any problems!

Now I am waiting to see that monstrous Myan Calendar that you talked about. Is it started yet????

Good luck
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    With all the safeguards you have on this sucker, you should not have any problems!

Now I am waiting to see that monstrous Mayan Calendar that you talked about. Is it started yet????

Good luck
    Hi Bubba!
    Well, I have the program written and have a brand new cutter! Just need to use the puck-up truck that I don't have to get the spoil boards
    The v-carved calendar will be here soon as the spoil boards are drilled, tapped & bolted to the frame!
    The only reason I haven't gotten them is the lack of funds and the constant rain!
    Widgit
    www.widgitmaster.com

I've got the pickup, but it is about a 13 hour drive to get there!
    Yeh, we have had some rain this week also and rain and MDF don't mix!
    If I still lived in south FL, would come up with some MDF just to put some eyeballs on that monster.
    Art

Today I ran the Monster for 4-hours, to heat it up and get some readings! So far, I like what I see!

Room temp: 80°F
    Spindle temp: 94.6°F
    X-Stepper: 132°F
    Y-Stepper: 130°F
    Z-Stepper: 144°F
    A-Stepper: 124°F

When I pinched the water supply line closed, the spindle heated to 100°F in 20 seconds, and the thermostat shut everything down except the cooling pump!
    When I restored the cooling water, the E-Stop condition went away, and Mach3 needed to be reset & started to continue.

The hot z-stepper is probably a result of too long a cable, but I don't think its anything to worry about, or is it?
    Widgit
    www.widgitmaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    Today I ran the Monster for 4-hours, to heat it up and get some readings! So far, I like what I see!

Room temp: 80°F
    Spindle temp: 94.6°F
    X-Stepper: 132°F
    Y-Stepper: 130°F
    Z-Stepper: 144°F
    A-Stepper: 124°F

When I pinched the water supply line closed, the spindle heated to 100°F in 20 seconds, and the thermostat shut everything down except the cooling pump!
    When I restored the cooling water, the E-Stop condition went away, and Mach3 needed to be reset & started to continue.

The hot z-stepper is probably a result of too long a cable, but I don't think its anything to worry about, or is it?
    Widgit
    Eric,

Apply heat sink compound between the stepper and its mounting surface, it will help transfer heat away from the motor.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

widgitmaster,
    Glad to see it is running and from the tone of your post, you must be smiling and dancing a jig:}) Glad to see things are going your way now.

As for the temp of the stepper, a quick google turned up this:

"A. Most stepper motors have class B insulation which is rated at 130 degrees C. Motor case temperatures of 90 degrees C will not cause thermal breakdowns. Motors should be mounted where operators cannot come into contact with the motor case."

So 90°C is about 194°F and your well below that. It is something that I would keep an eye on, but in all likely hood as the machine seats in the temps may actually settle down to a lower value???

Now, lets see that calendar:})
    Art

144 is nothing, you are good to go

Eric,
    Look for the spoil boards on Tuesday. I have to open up Remo's Tuesday morning so I will get them to you as soon as my Dad shows up. Sorry it took me a few extra days.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jzarski View Post
    Eric,
    Look for the spoil boards on Tuesday. I have to open up Remo's Tuesday morning so I will get them to you as soon as my Dad shows up. Sorry it took me a few extra days.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks so much Jzarski!
    Widgit
    www.widgitmaster.com

After searching through the MACH3 forum, I found the best way to get the Z-tool zeroing to work is to get Gerry's Mach3 2010 Screenset! So I bought it
    That will finish one more piece to the big Monster puzzle!
    Thanks Gerry!
    Widgit
    www.widgitmaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    After searching through the MACH3 forum, I found the best way to get the Z-tool zeroing to work is to get Gerry's Mach3 2010 Screenset! So I bought it
    That will finish one more piece to the big Monster puzzle!
    Thanks Gerry!
    Widgit
    If you don't feel like tweaking and writing Macros then Gerry's screen is a great way to go. There are other options out there as well.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Last night I looked at the mess of water lines on the floor, and decided to do something about it! So I made up a manifold to bridge the frame behind the VFD box, then I can put a better water line to the pump! The manifold has 3/8" ID tubing, so I put 1/4" NPT threads in the end blocks. One end near the Delrin block will have the push-connect fittings for the 1/4" ID vinyl tubing, the other end will have the connections for the pump!
    So This morning I dropped the parts off at the welder, and told him what needed to be done! They should be finished by this evening, as they are extremely busy!
    Widgit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_2173.jpg   9x5_Router_2174.jpg   9x5_Router_2175.jpg   9x5_Router_2176.jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

The manifold is back from the welder, and the push-connect fittings are on order from McMaster-Carr! This morning I drilled & tapped the holes for mounting the manifold, and everything looks much neater! The tubing on the pump end of the manifold will all be 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID, as that's the input size of the little radiator!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_2177.jpg   9x5_Router_2178.jpg   9x5_Router_2179.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

The spoil boards arrived this morning, but they are 1/16" too wide! So I have to make a setup on the router to cut one edge on all the pieces! Then I ordered a box of 100 flat-head brass screws, to attach the spoil boards to the frame!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_2180.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

I thought you made this monster big enough to hold a full sheet of MDF? What Happened?

Quote Originally Posted by kuroguy View Post
    I thought you made this monster big enough to hold a full sheet of MDF? What Happened?
    Be patient!
    Actually the table is bigger than a 4x8 sheet, so I have had 4-pieces cut to cover the entire table and have all the seams parallel to the cross beams.
    This creates the 1st sub plate, then after the router's wheel's are removed & replaced with the leveling feet, I'll level the monster! Once it's leveled, then I mill the sub plate flat, and use yellow wood glue to attach a full sheet of MDF in the exact center of the work area. Then I'll surface the top of the 2nd sheet, and it's now ready for use!
    As the 2nd sheet shrinks from re-surfacing, it can be replaced with little effort! The Monster has a Z-axis travel of 10", so loosing 1 1/2" is not a problem!
    Widgit
    www.widgitmaster.com

Widget, Those new aluminum pipes will actually add some additional thermal relief. Really looks good. Glad the new spindle is working so well. Like the temperature sensor and the fact it shuts things down if they start to get warm.. Very Nice
    Russ

Page 53 of 91 343515253545563