588,263 active members*
5,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Want to control your spindle with Mach3 but can't.. Maybe this helps.
Page 8 of 23 67891018
    My oh my..... I'm not sure what to say about all that...

The motor has "Hall Effect Feedback Sensors" so they consider it a "Sensored Motor" and not "Censored", unless that was a joke because of it's poor performance In the USA we do not Censor anything or do we? I better be careful before I get Censored, or would that be Sensored

There is a critical timing between when the hall effect logic changes to when you activate the next winding. This timing is very critical. The dwell changes on speed and torque exactly like a spark ignited engine.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf69 View Post
    'sensored'. Is this a new word?.

'Censored' is what this excuse for a motor control system should be.

These motors have revolution feedback only, there is no way they have any timing sense.

However please ask Sangmutan/Zhang this question and post the response.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cwe454 View Post
    I have 2 of the samutang 2200 watt motors and found them to be excellent performers until I Upgraded my machine to the newer versions of Mach3 and a smoothe stepper. then I had weeks of frustration trying to get the darn things to get near target spindle RPM, They also seemed to be developing less power.
    This last weekend I downloaded Machstdmill screen sets. and it seems that my problems have been greatly improved. My spindle now runs dead on RPM and some of the other quirks and bugs have smoothed out. it seems the torque has improved also, Spool up time is still a little slow about 5 seconds to hit 2000 but better than 8 or 9.
    I don't know if it is coincedental but I am happy!!
    I would suggest miraculous as opposed to lucky.

So please tell what feed and speed and material you are cutting that causes you to be so impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by mmprestine View Post
    Any luck with getting some close up pictures of the controller?

I had initial concerns about the software in the drive so I asked zhang the following question in the other thread:

Drive adjustments

Zhang,

I would like to know more detailed technical information about the drive and features.

What is the method to connect to the drive on the RS485 port?

What is the communication protocol used? Modbus?

Can drive parameters like accel, decel, and PID tunning be adjusted?

His response:

HI Matt

please send E-mail to me ,my E-mail address " [email protected] "
    i will send the motor and controller specification to you ,our motor and controller is use in CNC milling and drilling machine match with MACH3.
    Or you can contact kelinginc,i have sent dozens of motor an controller to Chicago,you can buy from him,his e-mail "[email protected]"
    1100w 6000rpm motor and controller
    2200W 6000rpm motor and controller

Best regards
    zhang

ShenZhen Sangmutan Motor Co.,LTD|BLDC Pump|BLDC Motor|Brushless DC Motor|Brushless Motor controller|Brushless DC Pump|Pump|WaterPUMP|???--????? |?|??|?||||?||?||pwm|???|??| - index
    [email protected]

The specifications tell you nothing about the internal feature set of the drive so I guess they are not available to be adjusted.

Matt
    I am very disappointed with Sangmutan. They do not support any more.
    Zhang does not reply email and phone call.
    They do not send working Controller.

Becareful if you buy from them directly

John, I really hate to hear that.

I'm getting by with my 1100 watt set, but I wouldn't dare dream of using it to cut steel. I can do ok in Aluminum as long as I am careful, but it is really disheartening to look back over this thread and see how close we were to a working SX3 updgrade.

Everyone, I want to apologize for getting people wound up in this before I actually got to cut with it. The first few posts were simply making it work with Mach3 and not in the mill. I have many more items I want to post about that I have picked up and started using, but after this, I am hesitant until I can do a long term review.

Quote Originally Posted by cjdavis618 View Post
    John, I really hate to hear that.

I'm getting by with my 1100 watt set, but I wouldn't dare dream of using it to cut steel. I can do ok in Aluminum as long as I am careful, but it is really disheartening to look back over this thread and see how close we were to a working SX3 updgrade.

Everyone, I want to apologize for getting people wound up in this before I actually got to cut with it. The first few posts were simply making it work with Mach3 and not in the mill. I have many more items I want to post about that I have picked up and started using, but after this, I am hesitant until I can do a long term review.
    Hi Chris

Thank you for your support.

I will call him again to see what is going to do

Stepper Motor Driver Power Supply Kit | CNC Router - Keling Technology Inc, USA

Thanks John.

i really do hope he gets these boards replaced..

Thanks

whats the latest on these?
    I am very disappointed with Sangmutan. They do not support any more.
    Zhang does not reply email and phone call.
    They do not send working Controller.
    Becareful if you buy from them directly

I saw that john recommends not buying them, but he has them on his website...or is he recommending not to buy from sangmutan?

I was planning on buying LMS 3900 brushless motor (SX2) and using this motor to replace smaller stock motor but if it doesnt work properly and with Mach3 yet...kind of pointless.
    Would I be better off buying http://littlemachineshop.com/3900 LMS 3900 with their brushless motor (SX2) and belt conversion and be done?

EDIT Nevermind on advising me to go with either X2 or SX2. I just found out from LMS that the SX2 wont accept the pulley modification...so I guess It's the X2 with noisy motor.

Any more updates on these boards?

What (if any) other boards will work with this motor?

I was really excited about this combo for the price...anyone move on to another setup in this range?

still waiting for an update

Yea...me too. I have been waiting to see if there were any advancements or if this sangmutan motor is a flop, scam no reliable customer support or what.

I guess this thread is dead now

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Any more updates on these boards?

What (if any) other boards will work with this motor?

I was really excited about this combo for the price...anyone move on to another setup in this range?
    This sangmutan experience has pushed me to find another source for my BLDC motors.

I'm working on getting an equivalent system available. Should only be $40 more than the Sangmutan kit, shipping from New Zealand will add more to the price though. PM me for more info.

I received an upgraded VFD board from Novakon for my NM-145 cnc mill. The mill has the Sangmutan 1100w / 1.5 hp 4 pole motor installed. With the original VFD the machine had virtually no torque at low RPM. (Moderate finger tip pressure on the spindle would stop it at 400 RPM)

With the new VFD the same motor has plenty of torque at low speed and even seems to accelerate faster. A new glitch did however come up with the new VFD. Originally when the PWM signal to the VFD fell below the minimum speed the motor would stop. With the new board it goes to the slowest speed instead (400 RPM). There is a provision for a spindle stop signal. Shorting K1 to K2 is the spindle enable so opening it stops the spindle. Novakon chose to use the relay output that was configured for spindle direction as spindle enable so the motor can be stopped. However this leaves the spindle only able to spin in one direction under cnc control.

Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by sabastion View Post
    Yea...me too. I have been waiting to see if there were any advancements or if this sangmutan motor is a flop, scam no reliable customer support or what.
    Visit http://www.shadowspawnllc.com to see what enhancements I have available for the NM-145.

You have a link to the one you are using?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cteufert View Post
    I received an upgraded VFD board from Novakon for my NM-145 cnc mill. The mill has the Sangmutan 1100w / 1.5 hp 4 pole motor installed. With the original VFD the machine had virtually no torque at low RPM. (Moderate finger tip pressure on the spindle would stop it at 400 RPM)

With the new VFD the same motor has plenty of torque at low speed and even seems to accelerate faster. A new glitch did however come up with the new VFD. Originally when the PWM signal to the VFD fell below the minimum speed the motor would stop. With the new board it goes to the slowest speed instead (400 RPM). There is a provision for a spindle stop signal. Shorting K1 to K2 is the spindle enable so opening it stops the spindle. Novakon chose to use the relay output that was configured for spindle direction as spindle enable so the motor can be stopped. However this leaves the spindle only able to spin in one direction under cnc control.

Charlie.
    The torque and spindle RPM time to get to targeted RPM is a good advancement...but the single spindle direction seems like a huge compromise
    Richard

Is the new board made by novacom? Or did it come from Sangmutan?

Dan mauch
    Camtronics, inc. -- CNC with Dan Mauch
    Quote Originally Posted by cteufert View Post

Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by dmauch View Post
    Is the new board made by novacom? Or did it come from Sangmutan?

Dan mauch
    Camtronics, inc. -- CNC with Dan Mauch
    I believe from the way he posted "I received an upgraded VFD board from Novakon for my NM-145 cnc mill." that it came from novacon

More about the revised VFD...

Novakon shipped the board to me but it was made by Sangmutan. Novakon replaced the original board under warranty for me. I don't have a link or any additional official technical information about the board.

However I can compare it the original VFD. The original VFD is silk screen NOVAKON but appears identical to photos I have seen of Sangmutan's board. Very likely it was simply private labelled for Novakon. The original VFD is actually a two board set, one stacked on the other. Mounting hole wise the revised and original are similar but different. The revised boards mounting holes are further apart along the length of the board. The standoffs holding the VFD on what ever it is mounted to will need to be relocated.

Yesterday I did notice something I missed before. When the spindle is running there is herringbone noise on my VGA flat screen monitor. I have not checked more closely but suspect it is electrical noise that is fed back in to the AC power line or radiated noise that the computer / display board pickup from being mounted in the same cabinet as the VFD. The noise was NOT present with the original drive.

Besides the loss of reverse (which can be overcome with a manual switch or a bit of mach3 VBScript programming.) the drive seems to change speed in steps. I detailed the tests I ran in a thread under the Novakon section but here is some basic info. I programmed the spindle at various speeds then measured them with an RPM meter. The speed didn't change continuously but in discrete steps. On my machine the spindle would run at 400, 480, 660, 840, 1020.. in steps of 180 RPM all the way up to 5880. It did take some configuration changes to get the full range of 400-6000 RPM with mach3.

Charlie.
    Visit http://www.shadowspawnllc.com to see what enhancements I have available for the NM-145.

Then they really havent fixed the problems. Instead they're introducing new ones Lol. They're still nursing it along trying to keep it alive.

I've been following this thread for a while now. Sangmutan were good about posting about their product in the beginning but I haven't seen any posts from Sangmutan for a while now. Seems to me they knew about the problems and they released it too early anyway. It appears that they lost faith in their product as I have lost interest and faith in both Sangmutan and their product.

I am still interested in a higher horse power and higher torque brush-less motor with a small foot print that I can put on my X2. So I am still looking.

Good luck guys, I think that this sangmutan is a dead end and with their business practices that this thread should be removed and/or put in the deadbeat thread.
    Richard

Just go with a 3PH motor and a VFD.... This system is useless for a mill. I was hoping it would come around but looks like it will not.

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    Just go with a 3PH motor and a VFD.... This system is useless for a mill. I was hoping it would come around but looks like it will not.
    Exactly what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    Are there 3 phase motors small enough for X2? I also dont have 3 phase line.
    Richard

Page 8 of 23 67891018