587,547 active members*
3,502 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Cheap 1500W Chinese spindle, experiences?
Page 8 of 68 6789101858
    They just need a ~220V AC supply of the correct current rating. (7-8A for the 1500Watt spindles, 10A to be sure though.) Either 50 or 60HZ will be fine.

A 220-240 clothes dryer connection will provide more than enough power for the spindle VFD.

A typical electric dryer consumes over 5000 watts and requires a 30-amp outlet.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

thanks, will have to keep these in mind if/when my router dies from dead bearings.

Hi All, this is how I did the water cooling

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04a_FtbR44"]YouTube - cooling setup for the CNC spindle[/ame]

Having trouble with HY02D223B VFD setup

Hello everyone,

I've just joined the chinese spindle club.
    Purchased a 2.2 Kw spindle with the matching inverter and I don't know how many poles is the motor. Couldn't find this particular spec about the spindle.
    And I am worried because the spindle gets quite hot after just 20 seconds of running. Can someone shed some light?
    Thanks, Adrian

P.S. Managed to set the rated current at 8 amps and everything else seems ok. Spindle runs smooth and quiet with the default 4 poles setup in the VFD.

its mostly 2 pole spindle if its rated upto 24k rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianni View Post
    Hello everyone,

I've just joined the chinese spindle club.
    Purchased a 2.2 Kw spindle with the matching inverter and I don't know how many poles is the motor. Couldn't find this particular spec about the spindle.
    And I am worried because the spindle gets quite hot after just 20 seconds of running. Can someone shed some light?
    Thanks, Adrian

P.S. Managed to set the rated current at 8 amps and everything else seems ok. Spindle runs smooth and quiet with the default 4 poles setup in the VFD.

Ok, here's the answer that I give to myself:

I adjusted PD011 parameter (frequency lower limit) to 120 Hz, based on the motor specifications regarding RPM (8000 - 24000). This took care of the motor heating. I figured that if the rated RPM is 8000 - 24000, then the minimum frequency should be somewhere at 133 HZ. I set it to 120 Hz. The setting for the number of poles remained the same as per factory setting (4).
    I started the motor and kept it running for 3 minutes. Absolutely no heat! That is to say, the spindle didn't even get warm!

My general impression about this spindle: It is built quite nice, but you can observe some imperfections, like the black flange in the nose of the spindle (the one which does not rotate) which is not centered or flush with the spindle body (the polished metal cylinder). Also the collet nut which is simply plain junk. It wouldn't hold the collet in it when unscrewed, so I replaced it with one taken from a Command BT30 tool holder.

Haven't set up a cooling system yet to check for leaks. I hope I will not have this issue.
    Otherwise, the spindle runs quiet, smooth as silk - as someone here put it - and the inside cone for the collet does not vibrate at all even at 24k. Although I haven't measured the runout, I do not suspect any surprises. I turned a 1/2" endmill held with the Command nut and a precision collet (Maritool) at 12000 RPM and couldn't feel any strange vibration.

Bottom line, it is great value for the money, I will leave positive feedback to the seller.

Yours, Adrian

Adrian, I am a little confused, you said your spindle was getting warm, but you have not set up your water cooling yet? Without cooling I would expect it to get warm in fact I would expect it to burn out.

I also have a 2.2kw spindle as well as a 1.5kw air cooled. The first air cooled one I had, I burnt out with lots of smoke because I did not know that under 100hz the cooling fan does not come on and it overheated in a few minutes.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Da Costa View Post
    Adrian, I am a little confused, you said your spindle was getting warm, but you have not set up your water cooling yet? Without cooling I would expect it to get warm in fact I would expect it to burn out.

I also have a 2.2kw spindle as well as a 1.5kw air cooled. The first air cooled one I had, I burnt out with lots of smoke because I did not know that under 100hz the cooling fan does not come on and it overheated in a few minutes.

David
    David,

It is as I said. Before setting that parameter to 120Hz, the spindle was getting hot even after 20 seconds of running. After setting that parameter, I let the spindle run for a few minutes and indeed the spindle remained cold. I felt a little bit of warmth in the collet seat (probably from the bearings).
    The spindle was ran in both cases to the same RPM.

The spindle is 2.2 Kw, water cooled spindle. Go ahead and experiment with this setting. The manual says that this setting is to prevent overheating due to running the motor at too low of a frequency.

Anybody else can confirm this?

Adrian

Sorry Adrian, I should have been clearer, are you saying that after setting PD11 to 120hz the spindle was running cool without water cooling?

Thanks

David

Sorry Adrian, I should have been clearer, are you saying that after setting PD11 to 120hz the spindle was running cool without water cooling?

Thanks

David

Exactly.

Thanks

David
    Remember that is without load.

If I remember correctly, this kind of motor only tends to draw the more serious current when it's under load.

Also I think setting the number of poles correctly to 2 will allow the VFD to display the speed in RPM instead of just Hz. Not tried messing with mine though, I'm still waiting for a long earth strap.

Quote Originally Posted by yngndrw View Post
    Remember that is without load.

If I remember correctly, this kind of motor only tends to draw the more serious current when it's under load.

Also I think setting the number of poles correctly to 2 will allow the VFD to display the speed in RPM instead of just Hz. Not tried messing with mine though, I'm still waiting for a long earth strap.

You are absolutely right. That's why I was worried when I saw the spindle getting so hot in 20 seconds without any load.
    I didn't check the RPM display with the 4 pole setting, but most probably you are right again. I'll correct that setting first thing tomorrow and let you know.
    I run the inverter at 220 volt 1 phase 50 Hz.
    Adrian

Hey all, put me down as a member of the Chinese spindle club too.

My 1500W air cooled spindle arrived today, though I am having some problems setting it up, the manual is rather cryptic to say the least.

Would anyone be able to help with the settings for the VFD (huanyang HY01D523B).

Here's what I tried

PD004 -Base frequency - 400Hz
    PD005 - Maz operating frequency - 400Hz
    PD008 - Max Voltage - 220v
    PD142 - Rated Motor Current 8A

Everything else I left at factory default, the motor gets to about 110hz before the VFD cuts out and displays the error "E.OC.A"

Help???

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Hey all, put me down as a member of the Chinese spindle club too.

My 1500W air cooled spindle arrived today, though I am having some problems setting it up, the manual is rather cryptic to say the least.

Would anyone be able to help with the settings for the VFD (huanyang HY01D523B).

Here's what I tried

PD142 - Rated Motor Current 8A

Everything else I left at factory default, the motor gets to about 110hz before the VFD cuts out and displays the error "E.OC.A"

Help???
    I had the same error when, because I thought the spindle heating was caused by the PD142(factory default 11 amps), I adjusted this parameter to 5 amps even though the spindle motor is rated 8 amps. So, it seemed like the motor couldn't ramp up to the MAIN FREQUENCY (PD003) and I got the error.
    So, I adjusted the parameter to 8 amps and it went ok. By the way, what is your setting for PD003?

Check the PD006 (intermediate frequency). If you're running the inverter at 60 Hz, set the parameter at 3. If running at 50 Hz, set it at 2.5.
    The manual says if set improperly, this parameter may cause over current or under torque or even tripping the inverter.

Check PD009 (intermediate voltage). Improper setting could cause same as above.

Finally, check PD011 (frequency lower limit). I set this parameter to 120 Hz because the rated RPM of the motor is not from zero to 24000. It is from 8000 to 24000. I suspect that what is happening is because of the frequency too low during the acceleration phase. Doing so, I managed to avoid spindle getting hot in the first 20 seconds of operation. Instead, with this setting, the spindle runs cold even for 3 minutes of operation (with no load). Mine is water cooled (but I didn't set up the cooling system at all), is 2.2 Kw, 220 volt. I run the inverter at 220 volt, single phase, 50 Hz.

Good luck!
    Adrian

E.O.C.A mean over-current

On the 1.5kw air cooled spindle if the speed is lower than 100HZ, then the fan in the spindle does not come on so I agree about setting PD-11 to 120Hz.

The rest of your settings look okay and my 1.5kw spindle runs with them, however on my original spindle when I did not set OD005, PD004 and PD003 to 400 on my initial run I burnt the motor out in minutes (with smoke) and after that is when I got the EOCA error.

David

There is a another thread with information about the Huanyang VFDs, including links to translated manuals.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74592

Manual in Word doc format:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=17

Steve

Ok, so far I have this list of settings:

PD003 - Main Frequency - 400Hz
    PD006 - Intermediate Frequency - 2.5
    PD009 - Intermediate Voltage - 15
    PD143 - Motor Pole Number - 2
    PD142 - Rated Motor Current 7A

I checked PD142 again and it seems 7A is as high as the VFD can go so this may be the source of the problem, I tried increasing the acceleration time to see if a slower startup would draw less current and yes the spindle gets to a higher speed before it cuts out.

Time for a new VFD I think

*Edit*

After reading all the replies, my motor did get very hot on its first run, though this was only a few seconds at 50hz (no magic smoke but the casing got to about 40C) so maybe the motor is damaged, did your motor continue to run after letting out the magic smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Ok, so far I have this list of settings:

PD003 - Main Frequency - 400Hz
    PD006 - Intermediate Frequency - 2.5
    PD009 - Intermediate Voltage - 15
    PD143 - Motor Pole Number - 2
    PD142 - Rated Motor Current 7A

I checked PD142 again and it seems 7A is as high as the VFD can go so this may be the source of the problem, I tried increasing the acceleration time to see if a slower startup would draw less current and yes the spindle gets to a higher speed before it cuts out.

Time for a new VFD I think

*Edit*

After reading all the replies, my motor did get very hot on its first run, though this was only a few seconds at 50hz (no magic smoke but the casing got to about 40C) so maybe the motor is damaged, did your motor continue to run after letting out the magic smoke?

Check PD011 ! set it to 120 hz and the spindle will run ok.

The 7 amps is not the problem, my 1.5kw air cooled spindle has the same VFD at 7amps max and it is fine. My suspicion is that the spindle is faulty

David

Page 8 of 68 6789101858