587,968 active members*
3,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

AgieCut HSS150 Error 481

Hi Zone Members,
    We've been working on this Agie 150 trying to get it into shape. It has been burning KINDA, but would not locate. I've pulled and cleaned boards, soldered some bad looking things here and there and started doing a general cleanup.
    I also retrofit some Cherry MX keyswitches into the numeric/arrow board. That all helped and we got to the point that no more messages were coming up, but still no location and no long burns. So yesterday we did a big cleaning taking the upper and lower heads apart and repositioning the contact pads. After the cleanup we fired her up and got a bang and a circuit breaker thrown. Now we get no burning and constant error 481. What should I be checking? Is that fiber optic cable the small blue cable at the lower head? Is it easy to damage if it bends slightly?
    3 steps forward and 5 steps back dancing with this old Agie is like walking on the Moon........................
    Thanks Bert

Off course first of all you should check power supply cards and their output voltages on test points.
    If it is possible you should check your two SBCxx (MS & CRT) boards at another machine.
    If these two are faulty , then you should check line driver and buffer IC's.

This is probably of no help since my machine is older (AC100) but it does not have a fiber optic cable in the tank. On my machine the only fiber optic cables (3 of them) go from the computer to the generator. There is nothing in the tank that would cause a bang on my machine except possible the U/V drive motor.

What is the 481 error? It happens I am on vacation and don't have an alarm sheet with me.

Oh and what breaker tripped?

Gary

error 481

Well it turns out I have been informed as Gary says, that no fiber optic goes from the tank to the control boards. So this error is not about that. The book shows a DATA communications error, check fiber optic. The bang is still unknown but I understand now that something happened in the generator box. The breaker that tripped was the MAINs FEED on the wall.

A little history on this EDM. It was very filthy and has had a strange problem with air and water being pushed into the +- lines in the generator box.
    Ok so the air here was getting some water in it and that is why the mist was spewing out from under the shrink tubing on those DC power lines. Sorry I do not know the proper term to call the lines. But these are the main discharge lines going to the lower unit.

So now the real goal is to understand how this air/air water mix is getting into the lines.
    Since this post I have disassembled the lower unit. I am attaching a picture that shows the discharge (is that the correct term) unit from the lower head with the 4 big lines running into it. At the very front of the Discharge Coupler box are the 4 line running to the discharge coupler and 1 line in that is full air pressure at anytime the EDM is powered up.

Here is what I need to know:
    1. Is air pressure what is supposed to be connected to that box? The schematics show the front of this box connected to the very first solenoid after the air supply and just before the manifold in the DA unit.
    2. Has anyone else come across a scenario like this whereby air was making its way all the way back through the line via the heat shrink wrap?
    3. Is there some type of small air relief valve on this box?

I did talk with Larry McNamee and he thought that no air was connected to this box, but that is not what I see on the schematic.

I am somewhat uncertain as to the best way to move forward. HELP PLEASE

I am thinking now that sealing the inside of the box just at the entrance of the discharge lines with silicone. Also I am thinking of using some small tie straps around the heat shrink and just inside the box. Are those bad ideas?

The coupler box.

The lines in the generator box and at the card where the air/water gets pushed out the heat shrink.

The second symbol from top is where this air line is supposed to go. Is that the lower head discharge coupler box?

Are you sure you have attached any file? I can not see any!
    I am sure there is not any compressed air connection to Generator cabinet. The only device in some Agie WEDM's that use compressed air to cool is Wire brake system on upper head. Please attach the schematic that you think shows any connection of compressed air to generator box.
    The 481 error means the optic communication between generator and CNC controller is broken . if your PRD41 board on generator cabinet (left up corner) have been damaged it can not send or receive any data to or from SBCxx board on CNC cabinet.
    I am waiting for your attachments to be able help better.
    sorry for my bad English. It is third learned language of me!

Air attachment

Thanks for your reply,
    The air attachment is at the lower head specifically into the front of the box which contains the large discharge/coupler wires. The air get into the generator box via the blow back all the way back through the heat shrink and insulation on those large wires. So far I am still not sure if this air connection was original.
    Feedback wanted!

Hi
    I as a service engineer of Agie machines tell you there is no compressed air attachment to generator cabinet or other parts except wire brake. Any attachment is not Agie standard.
    If you attach photo's of "lower head" and "box which contains the large discharge/coupler wires" I can help you better.
    I wish your machine be at service as soon .

I am back!

I was wondering if you got your machine fixed?

Been very busy and not really paying attention to posts but caught up and just doing followup!

Larry McNamee
    Web site: EDM Corner***************Sponsored by EDM Support
    E-mail: [email protected]

Solved but no positioning

Well this is strange. I posted here last week and the post is GONE.
    Turns out the 481 message was caused by a tripped breaker in the generator box.
    That tripped breaker was the result of moisture in the air line that got back to the generator box through those big discharge lines.
    At some point in the past somebody added an air line to the lower box in the pictures above. I added a regulator to knock that line pressure way down and also better filtering of the air lines.
    Now we can burn again and are up with no messages.
    If we could figure out how to position a corner or hole we would be on our way.

i'm going to make a new post about positioning on the HSS series.

Thanks for your replies.

Re: Solved but no positioning

Hello, I need help! I'm new to this forum and my English is not very good for that sorry.Maybe the topic is not on here but will risk.

My question is the following: I have several AGIE HSS150 and same AGIE DEM-315. want to link to at least one computer. Is this possible and is it complicated to make. Here in Bulgaria no information.