588,238 active members*
4,592 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z axis losing steps

I have a sieg kx3. Recently while machining aluminum with a 3/8 two flute endmill, the spindle stalled during a plunge cut of only 0.1875". I immediately hit the ebrake and retracted the tool. Since then the z axis randomly loses steps. I have checked the ball screws and every thing appears tight. Everything is lubed up well and I wrote a short code that brought the head up and down from z0 to z3 repeatedly without it losing its zero. What am I missing here? Sometimes it machines perfectly with a 0.125 endmill, other times it loses a step, and drags the endmill into the material on a retract and breaks it.

Is the Z axis coupling broken? Crack can hide nicely in those wire cut ones if that's what you have.
    A coupling slipping on shaft is another thing, that no amount of tightening will fix. Pull it apart and examine closely.
    A screw digging a hole in the shaft and moving back and forwards in the fretted groove it has made.
    Couplings that clamp on the shaft are generally less of a problem.
    A loose wire in a connector to the stepper is a likely electrical problem.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

I pulled the mill apart again and checked the coupling. No cracks, very tight and is of the clamp on type. Did notice that if I push on the stepper shaft, it moves in and out 0.125 inches or so with a lot of resistance, due to magnetism? Never noticed that on a stepper motor before, but never pushed on one either.

Gas strut also has no spring to it

That won't help. Original was too strong at 60KG. You only want 40KG.
    Car strut supply people will do a custom one.
    Make sure thin part of strut is down so the oil covers the seal and it never leaks.
    Mount skinny end up, and it will fail in a short amount of time, as well as getting crud in the seal.

Look here...
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ighlight=strut
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Everything else looks fine. Ball screw is tight, couplers look good, no cracks. I have no clue what could be causing the lost steps.

Just for info, most steppers I have played with will move in and out a little bit. That being said the screw should be secured via a thrust bearing or AC of some type prior to any stepper connection so that movement will not be an issue.

Thanks, I thought as much. I've decided to polish the gib, then reinstall mach 3.

If you have a bent gib (I did), it can be tight and can still have play.

Don

Do you know wha t caused it to bend?

Bent or not flat?

Just pulled out the gib. It was flat, gave it a polish on a surface plate anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
    if I push on the stepper shaft, it moves in and out 0.125 inches
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
    Gas strut also has no spring to it
    These are the problem. Re-installing MACH3 won't solve a thing.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Thanks for the reply. I got ahold of a gas spring for an X3. It's 3.5 inches shorter than I need, but should work to see if it solves the problem. Just waiting for my garage it return to above freezing temperatures to test it out!

It sounds like everything is mechanically sound from what your saying. My next step I would lower my motor timing and acceleration values in mach and see if that helps.

Re: Z axis losing steps

Finally got back to the mill since the weather has warmed up. When moving the z axis up and down while looking at the Z stepper motor, I noticed that the stepper itself looks to be the cause of the problem as it randomly seems to stuter and get caught up. No idea what is causing this.

I pulled off the side panel to watch the stepper driver lights while cutting air. I then noticed that the X and Y stepper driver overheating lights were slowly coming on. Touching the heat sinks showed that they were warming up, though the Z axis was not, probably because the program had fewer Z motions. Machine was run for about an hour and did not loose any steps in the Z axis. Could this possible be the culprit?

Absolutely. You must run heat sinks on many drivers. The overheating will cause errors. Try a fan blowing directly on your electronics.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Thought I would relate my progress thus far. I removed the saddle nuts for the x and y axis and ran a program with only the stepper motors moving , not the table. This was to see if the gibs were over tight and causing excessive drag. To my surprise, the stepper drivers still began overheating. Currently looking for a fan that I can wire in to cool the drivers. I find it odd though that this is a problem. Is it just a poor layout of the drivers. There is one fan at the top of the compartment drawing air up, but apperently its not enough.