588,537 active members*
4,617 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Talking New Dust Shoe

After cutting a bunch of mdf with my new microcarve A4 copy that I built, I figured i needed some type of dust collection, the router really just turns this stuff to dust, it was all over everything!

So after looking around some and seeing what everyone else was doing I designed my own, essentially based on everyone else's design =)

It actually works really good, I was amazed that my first attempt at it was a good one.

heres a few pics

complete dust shoe

making parts

Bottom dust skirt

View from the bottom

brush from home depot

Ill share the cut files if anyone wants them, it was pretty easy to make, fits my router without eating any cut space. I am going to redo the brush with a brush from mcmaster, I just wanted to get something going this weekend

Nice! I have a question about the brush- you said you got it at home depot? Do you have a P/n or link to that exact product? I searched the HD website looking for that but couldn't find it. This would fit the bill perfectly for me.

Heres the number from the homedepot website
    Model # C35PH Internet # 100193136 Store SKU # 291722
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...&storeId=10051
    the specs are actually wrong on the website its 1.5 high with the plastic sleeve, the brush and metal strip its attached to is about 1 inch it just slides apart. Its in the door sweep section in the store.

It seems a little stiff to me, if I cut down really low the brush wont let my z extend all the way down, so what ive been doing is running a second cleanup pass with the skirt off, not much dust on the second pass. I plan to get one of the small brushes from mcmaster I heard they were horsehair? Anyone know the specs on those brushes? Doesn't list much info on their website

I have been using a product from Door Seals Weatherstripping Brush Door Seals Strip Brush Air Sealing Dock Leveler Seals Wind Stopper Seals which is a flexiable plastic/rubber backed brush which is flexiable (unlike the metal backed brush that is sold at mcmaster for example) and can be glued into a channel cut around the paramiter of your brush base.

Brissles are pretty light weight on this product but can be purchased from standard stock up to 3" in length..

I tended to use my brush skirt to also aply pressure to what I hold down. But the lighter brissle skirt I made for my machine 2 actually contains dust better then my really wide and more course skirt I made years ago.

b.

Looks good mmonti.

small box

Here's a small box I made from 3/4 maple the other day to test out the effectiveness of the dust shoe.

Cutting the top

Top complete

Cutting the bottom

Bottom complete

Box complete

The pictures don't do it justice, it came out much better than the pictures show. Ive been sanding it off and on, gonna finish it this weekend

feel free to share that Bosch Colt dust shoe I started making one out of acrylic and it didn't turn out. Yours looks like what I was attempting todo, but it worked.
    Colten Edwards http://www.cncsigns.ca

Quote Originally Posted by mmonti View Post
    After cutting a bunch of mdf with my new microcarve A4 copy that I built, I figured i needed some type of dust collection, the router really just turns this stuff to dust, it was all over everything!

So after looking around some and seeing what everyone else was doing I designed my own, essentially based on everyone else's design =)

It actually works really good, I was amazed that my first attempt at it was a good one.
    mmonti,

Very nice. I've been trying to figure out how to make one for my rig such that I can move it out of the way to get to my collet. Are you using super magnets to attach the bottom and top pieces?

I have some heavy clear vinyl shower curtain that I'm thinking of trying for my skirt. I would cut the lower parts into strips. That would allow full travel and I think still provide adequate cleaning if the material is strong enough; if not, same concept with heavier material and/or somehow weight the bottom of the strips.

Thanks for sharing.

Roy

mmonti,

Using your basic design, I made a shoe for my K2CNC/PC690 mount. Pictures here.

I'm presently using heavy shower curtain, which isn't heavy enough. However, it doesn't hinder Z travel and even with a it tending to flow toward the dust hole, it still seems to get most dust (I tried on some scrap MDF). I've located some heavier vinyl that I want to try out.

Roy

If you can find it at a local textile store, try some 1/4" thick neoprene (wet suit stuff). It fastens well with staples, cuts easily and resists the air flow under most conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRowntree View Post
    If you can find it at a local textile store, try some 1/4" thick neoprene (wet suit stuff). It fastens well with staples, cuts easily and resists the air flow under most conditions.
    Paul,

Thanks for that suggestion. I was thinking earlier that vinyl might not be the best material. I was also looking at clear or translucent silicone sheet material as a possibility.

Roy

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by roy_okc View Post
    mmonti,

Using your basic design, I made a shoe for my K2CNC/PC690 mount. Pictures here.

I'm presently using heavy shower curtain, which isn't heavy enough. However, it doesn't hinder Z travel and even with a it tending to flow toward the dust hole, it still seems to get most dust (I tried on some scrap MDF). I've located some heavier vinyl that I want to try out.

Roy
    I've used heavy vinyl on mine (stuff used to cover table cloth)mostly for transparency. Just use some velcro strips to mount directly on router holder.
    I hate not being able to see my work while its being cut.
    My next one might be a combination of plastic and brush, although I had problem with brush and static electricity , they became too bushy after a while. (I had recycle old paint brush)

I'd appreciate the design for your dust shoe as I made one but I'm guessing I'd have to make a few more mistakes before I get a functional one

OK, sorry for the delay in posting these

I made 3 files because my cut area isn't that large, you can add everything to one file if you need to. I'm no vcarve pro expert yet, matter of fact I dont own it yet. I'm lucky to have a few friends with the software that let me use it when I need. the middle file is ugly but it cuts properly, you'll see what I mean when you open it.

A few notes,
    There are 2 rings that are 1.25 in diameter that are cut from the interior of the parts, stack and glue with CA to the top piece, this is where my vacuum hose goes, I had to lightly file them flat on the side next to my router mount so it would be easier to get on. I glued it all up and just hit it with a file to make it flat. I also cut a notch out of the end of my vacuum hose end so it would orient correctly to the inner hole that's created. Ill get a picture of this later.

the top and middle pieces are glued together with CA, except in the area where the nut and bolt clamp together and along the lower left (if you were looking at it from the top down) I needed the squeeze action from the clamping so it would hold on, although it is tight already.

The magnets I used are from Harbor Freight, 10 pack of rare earth magnets, 5/16 x 1/8 for 1.29 right now on sale, i used 12 total.
    Rare Earth Magnets - 10 Piece Rare Earth Magnet Set

I used my drill press to complete those holes, there's a tool path for them but it just basically marks them, would be easy to complete I guess. last bunch of holes I tried to drill on this thing came out like triangles? anyways...

the brush was from HD, I posted that link earlier you need to form it by hand, this was the longest part but was easy, just used my needle nose pliers, took my time and formed it along, careful or you'll break out the track the brush sits in, mdf isn't that strong when its thin. (this was actually a prototype, real one is gonna be made out of clear acrylic). I used CA glue and covered the outside edge of the bottom with it to strengthen it then pushed the brush in place then ran a thin bead of CA along the metal track on the brush to hold it in place. You can get 1oz or larger bottle of CA cheaper than the hobby shops at HD or lowes nowadays. Brand I used was titebond.

Hope this helps. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, ill do my best to answer as soon as I can
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dust Shoe.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dang I don't want to use Bittorent to get Vectric(any paid software ), the trial won't work with anything but the examples.
    From what I can see you did 3 1" slices.
    Maybe you could export 3 DXFs from Vectric ?
    I'd be greatly appreciative of it

Thanks so much for posting your files. They look great!

BTW A DXF versions might be nice but I didn't have a problem with the trial version of VCarve Pro, I may have a different version though. The one I downloaded from Vectric a couple of weeks ago opens the files just fine, and I could even edit them. I didn't generate any G-Code, however, as I don't have a machine yet. Perhaps that is the limitation? I've been playing with VCarve Pro a lot lately and I think that may be the way I go when I plunk down the money for CAM software.

Thanks Again. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mdstrial.jpg  

Its made from 1/2 mdf, 3 pieces total, ill get a dxf posted later when I get back to my computer this evening

Quote Originally Posted by jm82792 View Post
    Dang I don't want to use Bittorent to get Vectric(any paid software ), the trial won't work with anything but the examples.
    From what I can see you did 3 1" slices.
    Maybe you could export 3 DXFs from Vectric ?
    I'd be greatly appreciative of it
    The trial will most certainly allow you to work with the files. What you can't do is save or export your cutting paths. Seems reasonable to me. If all you want to do is cut sheet goods then consider cut2d. You can always upgrade to vcarve later with only a $30 difference in price.

Quote Originally Posted by jckstrthmghty View Post
    If all you want to do is cut sheet goods then consider cut2d. You can always upgrade to vcarve later with only a $30 difference in price.
    Where are you finding cut 2D to VCarve upgrade for $30? The Vectric site shows $480.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

It's only a $30 dollar difference when you buy Cut2d first and then pay the price to upgrade to V-Carve later as opposed to only buying V-Carve to begin with.

I would recommend V-Carve Pro. It will make your machine a lot more versatile. True, you can do most all of your sheet goods operations with Cut 2D.

Page 1 of 3 123