586,915 active members*
2,284 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: JPG / MeshCAM

I believe it can generate a heightfield mesh from a JPG; that's where it analyzes a grayscale image, placing points on a vertical scale that (usually) sends dark pixels low and light ones high. Then it constructs a mesh that connects the dots and a program that will carve the mesh. This would typically be used to create low-relief decorative effects on the surface of a form, rather than the form itself. So if you wanted, say, rattlesnake scales on your grips instead of the normal checkering, it could do that, using a high-def photo of the snakeskin. But you wouldn't use it to construct the grips themselves; you'd use CAD software for that.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I believe it can generate a heightfield mesh from a JPG; that's where it analyzes a grayscale image, placing points on a vertical scale that (usually) sends dark pixels low and light ones high. Then it constructs a mesh that connects the dots and a program that will carve the mesh. This would typically be used to create low-relief decorative effects on the surface of a form, rather than the form itself. So if you wanted, say, rattlesnake scales on your grips instead of the normal checkering, it could do that, using a high-def photo of the snakeskin. But you wouldn't use it to construct the grips themselves; you'd use CAD software for that.
    Thanks awerby
    As I say I'm really new ..so I am far behind the curve of knowledge ..not even knowing which machine (small for sure) I will settle on ..but the education to this point is saying spindle not router ..full screw on XYZ ..with a lot more questions ..like start lesser machine wise to learn then step up ..so CAD program may or may not be tied to the first machine ..just thinking as a newbie that the more factory support with my limited knowledge that the CAD tied to the machine of choice might ease the start up process ..though I don't see the CAD stuff particularly tied to any one certain CAD but more in which/what type file the CAD can issue ..then that gets the question of which CAD and it's capability I actually need... 2D, 2.5D or 3D as at this point I am not sure where each of these levels stop or start with in building a wood grip with curves,straights, angles a variable thickness

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Thanks awerby
    As I say I'm really new ..so I am far behind the curve of knowledge ..not even knowing which machine (small for sure) I will settle on ..but the education to this point is saying spindle not router ..full screw on XYZ ..with a lot more questions ..like start lesser machine wise to learn then step up ..so CAD program may or may not be tied to the first machine ..just thinking as a newbie that the more factory support with my limited knowledge that the CAD tied to the machine of choice might ease the start up process ..though I don't see the CAD stuff particularly tied to any one certain CAD but more in which/what type file the CAD can issue ..then that gets the question of which CAD and it's capability I actually need... 2D, 2.5D or 3D as at this point I am not sure where each of these levels stop or start with in building a wood grip with curves,straights, angles a variable thickness

Bear