588,221 active members*
4,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Removal of the drill press depth stop threaded rod

Removal of the drill press depth stop threaded rod

Bloy, I see you have removed the threaded rod that was the drill press depth stop. How did you do this? I can't see how the rod is attached to the arm.

I have decided I should move my Z-axis DRO sensor, and I intend on doing a similar mount to yours, but need to remove the rod.

Hi there...
    Gee ...I missed this question....
    The threaded rod is held in place by a taper pin that should drive out from right to left as it is on the machine. Then, the threaded shaft can be driven up and out as it is turned to 10mm on the inserted end(no threads). Be carefull to provide backup if doing this on the machine... The parts are pretty tight on mine.
    Actually, to get the rod out after removing the pin, I grabbed it with a visegrip and twisted it up....didn't want to knock anything out of kilter.

Thanks. I chiseled my way through the 1/8" of paint and apparently bondo on that portion of the machine, and found the pin. Once I get through my next production run tomorrow, I'll start on the next modification.

Hah! This part I stripped when rebuilding the machine and that is when I discovered the pin....otherwise I had initially been under the thought that the rod was screwed into the bracket...

Quote Originally Posted by Bloy2004 View Post
    Hi there...
    Gee ...I missed this question....
    The threaded rod is held in place by a taper pin that should drive out from right to left as it is on the machine. Then, the threaded shaft can be driven up and out as it is turned to 10mm on the inserted end(no threads). Be carefull to provide backup if doing this on the machine... The parts are pretty tight on mine.
    Actually, to get the rod out after removing the pin, I grabbed it with a visegrip and twisted it up....didn't want to knock anything out of kilter.