588,380 active members*
5,345 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4th axis sound check

So I finished setting up my 4th axis today, lubricated and adjusted backlash according to manual and NYCCNC's video.

Jogging with the shuttle controller, it sounds good to me, but when I put in a120, or move it at say F40 or so, it sounds creaky to me.

Can anyone check out the video attached and let me know if it sounds right to you? First part is moving with the shuttle controller, second I put in a120 command in the MDI at F40

https://youtu.be/tFo3Yb2EBPE

Re: 4th axis sound check

It sounds like my units here, but maybe a smidgeon tighter. FYI- watch your oil level carefully over time. These units are slow, but they work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    It sounds like my units here, but maybe a smidgeon tighter. FYI- watch your oil level carefully over time. These units are slow, but they work very well.
    Great, thanks for the confirmation.

I can deal with slow, the weight is tough on this thing, I don't want to hoist it on and off regularly, not good for the back

Sounds normal
    You will hear a terrible grinding if it is not engaged properly.

Quote Originally Posted by AVRnj View Post
    So I finished setting up my 4th axis today, lubricated and adjusted backlash according to manual and NYCCNC's video.

Jogging with the shuttle controller, it sounds good to me, but when I put in a120, or move it at say F40 or so, it sounds creaky to me.

Can anyone check out the video attached and let me know if it sounds right to you? First part is moving with the shuttle controller, second I put in a120 command in the MDI at F40

https://youtu.be/tFo3Yb2EBPE

Quote Originally Posted by AVRnj View Post
    Great, thanks for the confirmation.

I can deal with slow, the weight is tough on this thing, I don't want to hoist it on and off regularly, not good for the back
    I installed a small trolley crane. I purchased a 100$ hf cable hoist 110v , some electrical unistrut from home depot and a couple 400 lb wheeled trolley brackets for unistrut from McMaster car.
    Lag bolted to ceiling truss bottom cord. Not designed to lift much more then 400 lbs but more then enough for 4th axis and or other fixture pallets. I extended the unistrut to go end to end in garage and I use the hoist for lifting sheet goods out of truck, lawn mower for service and so on. a real back saver and a extra helper when you work alone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trolley8.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	283238

Something to consider when you work alone and need to lift stuff under 500 lbs.
    The picture above I had just rolled it down into position above mill to hold the left side chip pan in place while I bolt it down.

MD's set up is about right for moving that beast. Be very careful when setting the rotary table on the table because the keyway will gouge your mill table. I try to set mine down nearly dead flat on the periphery of the table so the work surface doesn't get all chowdered up. As I examine the future of my 1100 w 4th axis I think that I am going to try a home brewed Tosa tool extension plate approach. I am using the 4th a lot these days so it would just make more sense to leave it installed.

Guys, thanks for the info, MD that is an awesome idea. Unfortunately I could not do something like that with the enclosure. I like the Tosa idea a lot, but another problem with that is I have the ATC and the 8" table, so even though I plan on milling off the top of the table for extra clearance for the ATC tools, every 1" or so is at a premium so the Tosa table may raise it up too much for me.

Hi - That doesn't sound as bad as mine did. I completely dismantled mine and found dirt and burrs inside, so I was glad I had stripped it. I polished, deburred, cleaned all the parts, reassembled, lubed and reset... and now it runs quietly.

Worth doing if you have time. Keen

Sounds OK to me. F40 is a very low feed rate with the 90 to 1 ratio of the table.

Dave

Its not sealed either... If you use coolant, you'll need to flush the thing constantly - Quite a PITA.