588,251 active members*
4,936 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > How to draw this?

How to draw this?

Here's something that I think will try the skills. We have all seen what a 1932 Ford, 5 windowed coupe looks like right. Well, I want to draw the front fenders and have no idea as to how I could do that. Does anyone know how to do that?. I don't have a picture of one so I can't post it but I'm sure we all know what it looks like. I think it uses several deform and path moves, but the subject of auto body design, was never covered at school. Can anyone show my how this is done?? PM me if you can provide a tutorial like solution. Thanks

This one?

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classi...ndow.Coupe.jpg

I would do a lofted spline. Make cross sectional view lines using splines every 1-2 inches from front to rear. Loft them all together. You can then thicken that loft if you want sheetmetal thickness, and add other details.

Arrow Fenders Removed

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDRE View Post
    1932 Ford, 5 windowed coupe front fenders. I don't have a picture of one
    These pictures of the fenders removed, might help some of your viewers to visualize the many contours.

A web search will show many on a vehicle.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Weldtutor View Post
    These pictures of the fenders removed, might help some of your viewers to visualize the many contours.

A web search will show many on a vehicle.
    I will stick with my answer, but step 1 is to have it scanned in with a 3D scanner so that you can pick points off the scan to make the splines. If you send me a fender, I can do this job. Model one side, mirror for the second side...

Thanks for the quick reply I'll check it out. This is not for a resto, it's for a concept car model, so having the real thing is out of the question.

I would think a couple guide "like" curves and a few profiles would produce a boundry surface which would be pretty close off the hop.
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the quick reply I'll check it out. This is not for a resto, it's for a concept car model, so having the real thing is out of the question.
    "Real Thing" doesn't need to be a "Real"-"Real Thing"... Foam, clay, etc. formed to the shape you want, scan it in, voila. That's how the "big boys" do it, for a reason ; )

Start with a small scale and model it physically. It can then be sent out for scanning and/or reverse engineering in to a 3D model, that can be scaled at will. I find it much easier to create "organic" curves in the real world and pull them in to the digital world, rather than starting in the digital world. Digital designs are great a smooth consistent transitions, fit, etc, but not so good at organic shapes (though it is getting better).

the only thing you need to model a car is three view ( front, left, up) (blueprint) and many perspectives

Hey thanks for the input. Decided to buy a 1/8th. scale model and work my magic on that for the prototype model.

Hey thanks for the input. Decided to buy a 1/8th. scale model and work my magic on that for the prototype model.
    If you want it scanned in once you are done, let me know!