587,481 active members*
3,066 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bar feeder question

Has anyone tried using the bar feeder with sqaure bar stock? Just curious how well this would work.

Edge,

I didn't forget about you. I just got very busy all of a sudden. I am not sure about the square stock and a barfeeder. Orientation of the stock and collet will be extremely critical. I am sure there is a way but not sure. You said the stock was 22mm? My thought on it (using a Mori, of course), use round stock and mill it square. Barfeeder problems will become 0! We make parts that are square and hexed also. We are about to stop using shaped material altogether. The Mori software makes shapes easily and the round stock is so much easier to hold. What specifics would you like to know regarding the Mori?

I was thinking that about the bar stock also. Do you think if you rounded the edges of the bar it would align when you feed it through? If you want just PM me the price for the mori and what options you have. That would be awesome. Thanks for all you help!

I will put something together Monday morning. The quote for the machine is on my work station. The machine comes loaded to the gills. The only thing that i have been told to do in order to run unattended is add a 1000 psi coolant pump. As far as the square stock, Trusty Cook makes some pretty cool spindle liners with shapes and custom designs. The biggest deal would be to find a barfeeder that would align the bar properly in the liner. Then again round stock is so much easier to use.