588,084 active members*
4,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Opening 3D files in V24

Opening 3D files in V24

Hi. I recently got V24 (I'm new to Bobcad). How do I open a SW part file (sldprt) or an .iges or even a .x_t? Every time I try to open one of these it locks up Bobcad and I have to close it and re-open it.

Thanks!

Scott

Try File-Merge instead of File-open.

Jessebobcad Guest
    Do you mean the program freezes? Have you run systems updates and graphics card updates? Running the latest version of the software?

You should just be able to do a File> Open> All BobCAD files at the bottom. Is this where it crashes?

Yes. That is where it locks up. I tried the merge option, tried opening from bobcad, tried opening a sldprt file with bobcad. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm using V24.

Thanks,

Scott

Post a sample file that doesnt open in BobCad.

Here is the file in zip format.
    Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

So I looked at your file and there definitely is a problem, but I am still unclear on what it is. Here is some conjecture.

It seems to be made with Version 2007 Solidworks? (Old and buggy with translators)

The solid has some bits malformed,, BUT, I opened it with Edrawings Viewer, though the clipping plane has trouble with the display (Most likely due to the malformed surfaces) I tried an import into Another Modeler which failed, though I updated it to a just released version and it imported.

I left it sit for awhile.. It didnt lock up. It was crunching away. Just way too long to expect anything..

Did you make this with your solidworks? Can you export the file as an IGES or STEP and try that?

I have seen some others fix issues by replacing their swdocumentmgr.dll with the one from the installed version of Solidworks, but I wouldnt recommend doing that.

Sorry, I've got nothing for you.

Thanks! I'm not sure what software created the file (I didn't create the file, it was reversed engineering with CMM and drawn by a pattern shop). But I did use SW 2007 to open it and view it. Now trying to get it into Bobcad. I tried iges and x_t, but after SW. Maybe I can try to open it from them without SW. I'll try that. Glad to know it's not me!

Thanks alot!!

Ok, good luck with that.. If you can post the IGES file, it could help to see whats inside.. Whats the format they are sending? Maybe attach that if you need to look any further.

I have found, especially if your computer does not have MANY Gigs of memory, certain processes act like it locked up, when in fact (even if task manager says not responding) it has not locked up. Go get a warm beverage, back rub . . . and come back. It helps to shut down all non BobCad related memory hogging utilities, and processes, I E TSRs, realterm, skype . . . anything which lives at the bottom right on the task bar. I have an old Pentium III,WIN XP at the shop from which I deleted everything useless to the job and it works better than the new win7 here at home, has WAY less memory too.

I opened the model and went out and washed my car. The model came in, but had several badly formed surfaces (The underlying issue). It wouldnt save any other format out. I unstitched the model to surfaces and went out and waxed the car. The exported IGES was so badly formed that it would be easier to rebuild it than to try to repair it..

The original model needs to be looked at before saving it out. (That said, Some newer apps imported it well enough to justify repairing it to move on.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails import_1.jpg   import_2.jpg  

Thanks guys!! I didn't realize it would/could take that long. I have a 1G graphics card and 4g RAM. I assumed it would open faster. It only takes 7-8seconds in SW 2007.

All I'm trying to do is create a few machining fixtures from this file, so 2D is all I need. I only have a 2-axis CNC mill. I was just trying to see how it worked in Bobcad versus SW 2007.

Maybe I just need to be more patient? That's what my wife always says too!

Thanks for all your effort!!

Hi Sach,
    Well, it shouldnt take that long. Thats not something indicative of what you would see working with various files and BobCad.. It is just particular to this file..

Tell you what Sach, I always draw my part in Bob cad. I've gotten pretty darn fast at it and only occasionally blow a dimension (nobody's perfect). I find doing complex drawings is easier in smaller bites, as opposed to moving geometry to a bunch of different layers on some engineers drawing. Importing drawings always seems to bring problems due to , I don't know, maybe the originator drawing had tiny errors in it's formatting, I E arcs are really unconnected splines . . . but look correct to the eye.