587,180 active members*
4,708 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

emc + keling compatibility?

evening all,

does anyone know about the compatibility of emc2 with kelling inc.'s cnc 3 axis stepper package?

i'm a super-new-b looking to set up a little cnc machine. and, after doing a lot of research on building my own boards (and realizing i have a ton to learn), i'm settling on getting a pre-soldered setup. i have been lurking for a while in this and other sites, but haven't found any threads on using these 2 pieces of equipment together.

the keling setup (http://www.kelinginc.net/ThreeXCNCPackage2.html) runs via parallel port - so i know it's compatible in those terms most simple terms.

it looks like keling uses cnc4mypc's c10 breakout board (http://www.cnc4pc.com/Bidirectional_Breakout_Board.htm) for signal control, and that the board has jumper settings to allow pretty discrete control over pin input or output. this along with emc2's involved (hal?) level of signal control seem to make me think i should be able to route signals where ever they need to go.

so, i'm figuring that emc2 and the keling setup should be able to work together. but, since i'm a super-new-b i figure i'm missing something big. can anyone comment?

thanks much.

i really like all the knowledge people drop in here. this is awesome stuff.

I think someone just posted about Keling Controllers
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47019

I'm basically using the keling package. I have (3) KL- 5042 (3) 425oz motors with the C10. So far its really nice, no problems.

Flyon

I hope it works well.. i have the same kit as you with the 425oz motors..

Mail 'em and ask.
    I think it shouldn't be a problem, it's just step and direction like any other steppers.

Suddenly, I found the same question at the EMC mailing-list. I'll tell you if something extra comes up.

EDIT: And now you joined the mailing-list.

yup. i emailed keling last week and they replied quickly but could not confirm that emc2 and keling work together - bummer. but i am feeling rather solid about their compatibility. i have to do a bit more homework with actual board schematics and the emc2 user manual laid out to confirm proper signal control, but i think all's good.

thanks much to all for the help.

Great Seth, if you go for Keling please reply with the info. It's high valued knowledge.

glad to. keep an eye out in the next week or 2 for info / issues / and more questions!

Keling KL-4030 + EMC2

I just finished my JGRO using a Keling kit with the KL-4030 drivers.
    After some experimentation I found these EMC2 settings work with the Keling drivers:

STEPLEN >15000ns
    STEPSPACE >15000ns
    DIRSETUP >15000ns
    DIRHOLD >15000ns

This was on an Athlon 3700+, when I switched to an older Athlon 1000 it seem to run smoother when I increased all four settings to 20,000ns. I tried reducing each setting and combination of settings below 15000ns but I could not get stable operation.

Have run several 10000+ line g-code files and am very pleased with the EMC2 + Keling combination.

Now I just have to solve some resonace issues so I can get my cutting speed up.

thanks mrpaw.

first suggestion for those of you new-b's putting together this setup, definitely have 512 megs of ram in your box. i had 256megs and ubuntu+emc2 kept crashing during install. the emc user group came through for me on that one!

now my keling setup, which has been sitting silent for a week while i waited for ram, can get some life! i'll keep your info in mind!

thanks again!