587,832 active members*
3,462 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need more speed from computer to drivers

I can only get a reliable less than 100k Hz on my parallel port. Is there anything I can do to get 125K hz or more from my parallel port? Or is there a hardware or somesort that will alow me to do much more than 125K hz?
    I will be needing that for my microstepping speed.
    Thank you guys

That's some serious microstepping......Mach only lists 100khz as the top option.

What does a smoothstepper go to?
    Keith

I can't really say if PC hardware could support more than that. Perhaps on a really hot, overclocked PC. Even so, you're bound to run into some timing issues because there just isn't any margin for error.

Why not use a step pulse multipliers and take the load off of the CPU? Do you need to run the machine at full resolution, or is it more of an issue of trying to squeeze high speed movements out of fine tooth screws?

Another option might be to move to a Smooth Stepper and go with USB, rather than parallel port. That should give you the highest step frequency with full resolution. I think the SS docs state 4MHz pulse frequency.

Steve

Thank you guys! Like you said Steve I'm just trying to squeeze out that high speed movement at full resolution. I haven't heard of a step pulse multipliers can you tell me about it?

There may be other companies making them, but Gecko has one that will work with the G201 and G202. It doesn't work with the G203V. It allows you to set the microstepping mode to full, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10 step.

G901 Step Multiplier

Essentially it takes the step pulse coming in from the computer and then multiplies it by whatever you've specified and then sends that many pulses to the drive. Those drives operate at a fixed 1/10 microstepping so this gives you the ability to control it.

Steve

Thank you Steve I'll look into it.