588,396 active members*
5,301 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Coolant Recommendation for a hobbiest
Page 1 of 2 12

Coolant Recommendation for a hobbiest

I am about to get my Tormach... want to order some coolant but don't know what to get. I've heard some coolant smells bad after sitting for a few days/weeks in the tank... some even smells bad when fresh. I'm a hobbiest and won't be running the mill every day. I imagine sometimes it will be left off for weeks or even a few months at a time. Which would be the best coolant to use? Want something that won't stink up my warehouse.

Ken

Coolant

What do you plan on machining the most ?
    When I get set-up I will be using two types of coolant.
    I will use mineral oil for machining aluminum supplied by flooding.
    We used this in our 5 axis machine and it worked great.
    We also use Hocut 795 for steel , it is water soluable and I think I will set up a mist coolant for that .

I've been using Hangsterfer S-500 for about a year now on aluminum and acrylic and been pleased with the results. No odor or biological growth.

I'd suggest taking a serious look at oil skimmers - the tramp oil quickly forms a layer in the coolant tank and it's awkward to get out manually.

Mike

Thanks for the replies... I mainly machine alu and some mild steel. All prototype stuff. Never thought about getting a oil skimmer... I will have to look into that. Thanks!

How is Trico's Tri-Cool or Tri-cool TC1?

Ken

Here's the web info for Hangsterfers S-500:

http://www.hangsterfers.com/productdetails.asp?1=134

and from that it seems that it should work well on steels. I think that there are a lot of coolant brands that work well. Search on "coolant" on www.practicalmachinist.com and you will find some informed opinions. AIR, the most highly recommended brands only seem to be available from lube distributors and few from places like MSC, Enco, Travers, etc.

The 5-gal pail of S-500 ran me around $100 and will probably last years in my home shop.

Mike

I use liquid Ice and it works great! There's no nasty smell, not hazardous (well you can't drink it ), and doesn't leave a filmy/greasy surface.

http://www.liquidicecoolant.com/

For occasional use on steel, I would recommend something like a Mist Buster or something that sprays droplets of coolant that more or less goes out with the chips.

For aluminum the Trico Microdrop MD1200 system is great, except that it is very expensive. But you'll have virtually no coolant to clean up. The nozzles will clog if sitting for months without use as the oil turns into cheese, but a small drill run up the nozzle will open it up again.

For flood coolant, I'd recommend a stand-alone coolant collection system, so that the whole thing is based on a 5 gallon pail that makes cleanup less aggravating. An oil skimmer and an aquarium bubbler, run on seperate timers, will help with odor control as dead-still used coolant will stink a bit after you stir it up.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have been looking into the Trco MD1200 and I see the details on their website (http://www.tricocorp.com/products/product.aspx?c=5&p=31). I see that it says "inlet air pressure: 60-125 PSI". Does that mean it requires an air compressor (versus the unit creating its own pressure?)
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    I have been looking into the Trco MD1200 and I see the details on their website (http://www.tricocorp.com/products/product.aspx?c=5&p=31). I see that it says "inlet air pressure: 60-125 PSI". Does that mean it requires an air compressor (versus the unit creating its own pressure?)
    Yes

Any way to get by without an air compressor? maybe a pond aquarium pump? I'll get evicted for having an air compressor in my NYC apartment...
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    Any way to get by without an air compressor? maybe a pond aquarium pump? I'll get evicted for having an air compressor in my NYC apartment...
    You would have to check the CFM requirements and if the pump would even operate at the PSI you need. I would be surprised if it would work well given the cost.

I know it is a bit of work to setup but if there is anyway you can do flood cooling in even a light amount there is nothing that is going to be quieter or more efficient in terms of heat transfer or more economical in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by rwexec View Post
    We also use Hocut 795 for steel.
    I have been running Houghton 767 in my Tormach for about 4 or 5 months with no problems at all, I is a fully synthetic with no smell or skin irratiations.

I am switching the Tormach over to Hocut 795 when im finished the 767. My Daewoo and saw are already running the 795 and I am very happy with it as well.

Most really cheap coolants are not bio-stable which is what you need for your situation. A full synthetic may be a good option for you, I will not develop a skin at all even when left for long periods fo time.
    Live free or die

thanks for all the recommendations. I got a gallon of Trico TC1 from a friend to try. I guess I will try a few to see which works best for me (not running the mill daily).

Anyone used Trico TC1 before? Any comments?

Ken

I am using Trico TC1, my machine may set for a few weeks at a time, and I have had it for a over a year and no smells. I only have an aquarium bubbler in my tank.

thanks fg... is the TC1 hard on the skin?? Do you have to wear gloves?

Ken

I have been using Koolmist 77 as a flood for about a month. It seems to work very well and no smells so far. It does mix with water. It is fairly inexpensive as well. I think it was about $17 a gallon. It says to mix 4 oz per gallon of water.
    Lee

I don't wear golves, it hasn't bothered me, but I only use it occasionally.

Where can you buy this stuff online? I searched but was unable to find a supplier. -Adam
    www.adambrunette.com - Converting My Harbor Freight X2 And My Jet Jvm-830 Knee Mill, As well as many other projects.

I get the Koolmist from McMaster Carr.
    http://www.mcmaster.com

Enco also sells different types.
    http://www.use-enco.com
    Lee

Page 1 of 2 12