588,285 active members*
4,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Engraving with the Torus PRO at 200 ipm

Engraving with the Torus PRO at 200 ipm

I wanted to test the Torus PRO (Servo Edition) at an extreme movement speed. I chose a complex line art image and used Visual Mill to create a file to engrave the image at 200 ipm with 300 ipm rapids. The spindle was set to 6000 rpm. Notice how fast the braking resistor stops the spindle at the end of the YouTube video.

MOV02047 - YouTube

The video is actual footage and has not been modified in any way.

The pictures show the finished engraving. The product is Corian and required less than two minutes to engrave.

The TorusPRO is definitely the best CNC mill in its price range.

Pretty cool. At that feed, and only 6K RPM, you were effectively doing drag-engraving. I wouldn't try that on metal.

I'm surprised there aren't more people buying these machines - they are the best deal going for the money. I haven't once even turned on my knee mill since I got the Pro going - it's more accurate, MUCH more convenient, and just as fast. In a couple of months, when I have the tool-changer on it, it'll be just about perfect.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I'm jealous.

I asked John at Novakon to delay my Torus Pro again, to give me time to test drive the Pulsar.
    I just could not see me devoting sufficient time to the Pulsar when the Pro was beckoning my attention.
    Hard decision to be without the big one (work area mostly) BUT I'm learning to appreciate the Pulsar's other attributes.
    I have a few other Pulsar projects planned then I will re-order the big guy (he better have some left).

Should be interesting to do a few side by each comparisons.

John

That does look good.
    Are you sure the video wasn't modified? It looks like you may have used the Youtube machine bender app.
    When your video is uploaded, it tells you that the video is shaky. If you tell it to fix it, it will bend and distort the video. I first saw this on my plasma cutter video. It really turned my machine into rubber. I'm pretty sure the steel I used isn't that limber under normal temperatures.

The Torus and the Pulsar spindle stop on a dime and reverse instantly because of the servo. Without that though, yours does well.
    Lee

Waiting to place an order on the Torus Pro.

I have not spoken to John yet but I wanna give him a call. I'm concerned about getting the machine in my shop and all the little details.

Nice video btw.

-Jason

Welcome aboard SpeedsCustom; welcome aboard!

I'm going to send you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Welcome aboard SpeedsCustom; welcome aboard!

I'm going to send you a PM.
    Please do

And thanks.

Very impressed with that video in terms of the speed. Excellent

-Jason

Oops... I didn't mean to put two "welcome aboard"s in there. I edited that post about five times too. I'm losing it.