Register for free
Login

Problems with SDS software update.

Working in a factory of bodies and we have a plasma cutter:

Plasma: Hypertherm Powermax 900
    Koike Aronson Monograph Model MN-2000
    Part # Interlogic ATC 732,005
    Cleveland CNC Machine Control

This machine has the SDS software since we bought it in 1998, but that software only runs on Windows 98 and compatibility mode. I just vacate a machine with Windows XP and contact SDS (Shop Data Systems) to quote me the software.

Well the price of software seem excessive to me, for it came bundled with the plasma cutter. But anyway, I'm looking for a cheaper option.

I wonder if there is something like this, or have to resign myself to continue using the old software and computer.

Regards.

Once you are in the proprietary "bed" of a vendor your options are to dance with them or completely redo the controls. It probably would have been less to upgrade several years ago but for every year you squeeze out of a version the more the final cost is. It will never get cheaper.

At this point you may just need to keep running it like it is and get some more red off the lollipop. At some point (if it breaks or you can't find a PC old enough to run it) the decision process will change. As long as it's cutting parts and making money upgrading won't get much consideration in the front office.

As we say in Texas: "If you can't run with the big dogs don't even get off the porch" :cheers:

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

I'm assuming you called Shop Data Systems to see how much an upgrade is......another option is to call Burny to see what they would recommend for software that fits your needs that will work with their cnc control. You have a nice industrial rated cutting system their.....and their are dozens of software options that will work with the Burny.

MTC software has an entry level version.....they are now a division of Hypertherm.

Jim Colt Hypertherm