587,865 active members*
2,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boring head on a TAIG mill

To a novice like me it seems like boring is a pretty common operation with CNC milling. The prospect of creating perfectly round holes and pins is pretty appealing to me so I'd like to pick up a boring head. I just have no idea what to look for and what the TAIG is capable of.

Here's a boring head adapter for the TAIG ER-16 spindle. It says it's for a "standard" boring head. Can anyone point me toward a standard boring head that might be appropriate for the TAIG? I have done so little machining I don't really know what I need, but I don't see making many holes smaller than 0.25" or larger than 1.5" in diameter. I only have plans to make stuff from aluminum for the time being, but it would be nice if steel was an option too.

Maybe they are all capable of creating both ID and OD cuts, but if not I would like to be able to do ODs too.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0NXQLz8r0c"]YouTube - "019" SERIES BORING HEAD - OD TURNING[/ame]

Here's one that LMS sells. It would be nice to get the head from the same store as I get the ER-16 adapter.

Hirudin,

The adapter and the Boring head from LMS fit your Taig.

The boring head mounts on a shank with a 7/8 - 20 thread.

The adapter is 7/8-20 on the boring head side and ER on the Taig side.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Smile

Hirudin,

Something like this is also a kewl alternative.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S34fe7JHkSo&NR=1"]YouTube - Taig Mill to Gang Tool Lathe Conversion[/ame]

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Wow both are real cool.

MLP

Boring Head

Most boring heads are configured for internal boring - to do external dowel / pin 'sizing' you'd have to turn the tool 180 deg and then run machine anti clockwise or backwards.......I think?

Boring heads are very complicated or very simple. Be sure the dial is reader friendly and the head graduates in .0001

Might shop ebay!

Jim

If the head is screwed on to the holder you do not want to be running it backwards.
    One reason why they make right and left handed boring bars.

Unhappy

Andre' B,

That is a very important tidbit of information, a careless operator may be hurt or damage something badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre' B View Post
    If the head is screwed on to the holder you do not want to be running it backwards.
    One reason why they make right and left handed boring bars.
    It may unscrew itself and become a high speed projectile.

Jeff...

Sorry to go a little off topic for a moment...

Would y'all say it's dangerous to run any tool CCW with the TAIG ER-16 spindle?

Is there something that can be done short of using some-kind-of cotter pin to keep the nut from turning?

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Sorry to go a little off topic for a moment...

Would y'all say it's dangerous to run any tool CCW with the TAIG ER-16 spindle?

Is there something that can be done short of using some-kind-of cotter pin to keep the nut from turning?
    The collet nut isn't going anywhere in either direction if it is tightened properly.

Exclamation

Hirudin,

The collet nut wont unscrew if tight.

The Boring Head Adapter would be the culprit if run in reverse.

Jeff...

Thanks for the input everyone!

I picked up the one from LMS... I haven't used it yet though; my machine isn't really set up at the moment. When I do I'll record it and put it up on YouTube or something.

Anyone know what thread the ER16 spindle is?? Would be nice to be able to use the LMS boring head on the ER16 spindle.. Otherwise have to swap on the standard spindle every time to use the head.. Or make up a 3/8" adapter or something to use in an ER16 3/8" collet..

Smile

Riceburner98,

The Taig Spindle nose is 22mm X 1.5mm

Jeff...

Just in case you didn't see it in my first post: LMS sells an adapter to go from the ER-16 thread to the 7/8-20 boring head thread.

Wow... I read the post, probably several times, and completely blanked.. Couldn't find it on the LMS site for some reason. Whoops! Thanks for the link!!

-- just ordered the head and adapter, as well as their cheap boring bar set and an indexable mini boring bar from eBay. The OD boring looks fun, I'd never seen that before. Could have used that in the past!

Riceburner - have you had a chance to use the boring head in your TAIG? How has it worked?
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    Riceburner - have you had a chance to use the boring head in your TAIG? How has it worked?
    Works fairly well... I've used it a couple times for "standard" internal boring on some shallow aluminum parts. You can tell it's "made in China" type stuff, but OK for the money. Need to use it fairly slow (duh!) or the vibration will move the machine around by itself.. The same one pops up on eBay most of the time, in various forms for the same price. (with a set of bars, with different adapters..) I was tempted to get the one that comes with the R8 adapter so I could use it on the Grizzly at work, but since I was ordering the ER16 adapter from LMS I figured I'd just order it from them.

The only thing that bothers me is that the set-screws for holding the boring bars bugger up the shaft of the 'bars which makes them a little harder to remove... Also for deeper holes I think the Taig setup will flex too much to do precision work...