Hey guys, I still consider myself a newbie here. I graduated from a trade college in 2014 and have worked my way up to now trying to program and operate three VMC's in a job shop type environment. I work for a large manufacturer, and support maintenance by making short run parts for our machines typically 1-5 parts each.
OK, let me tell you kind of how I run a part from start to finish.
Typically I will if at all possible chisel the part out of over sized stock. I do not have time to square up blocks. So I will program It with .03 stock above zero, face to zero and either use a ramp contour or Dynamic milling to rough the part out. then come back and do a contour with two passes at 0. I then flip it over and deck off the bottom, and then do any work on that side.
I am just looking for some advice because they want all three mills running, which is pretty damn hard with these short runs, I will try to set up multiple parts either using toolpath transform in a double vise, or use multiple work offsets.
like I said, we have three VMC's and one has a probe and tool setter, the other two have to set up the old fashioned way.
I have thought about setting my work offsets off the back corner of the vise in the two machines that dont have probes. I think this will save me some crucial set up time.
What about stratagies? some people use a deep doc on face mills .1 or so and moderate feeds, some tell me to take .025 doc and high feed of 100 IPM. I wish I could play around with these ideas but I tend to stick to what I know in order to get things done.
Any tips on Dynamic milling? we mostly run A2 and I have had trouble burning up tools. I tried to run the spindle speed up fast but had to slow it down because they were freaking out about tooling. I was running a 3/4 end mill at 300sfm and a chip load of about '008 which seems to do pretty good but nothing like some of those guys on youtube.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am trying very hard and feel like im drowning.