587,321 active members*
3,162 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazatrol vs G code

I have a Mazak PC-FUSION-640M vertical center 4th axis that I got to understand it, probing and editing programs etc…

Eventually I need to program this machine but I’m with this dilemma, should I program it as G Code that I actually have a proven post processor for Mastercam or should I learn how to program Mazatrol….

I would like to hear your experience on this subject…

What do you prefer, mazatrol vs G Code?

G Code with a CAM system or Mazatrol on machine?

How would you use G Code on Mazak?
    As a sub program?

Mazatrol on machining centers is planar - or 2-1/2 axis. It is a wonderful system for shop floor blueprint programming and is an excellent introduction to the world of CNC that has a short learning curve.

However, if you're a G code guy, unlearning G code and picking up mazatrol can be difficult. It would be a short learning curve to start out in what you're used to - G code, and then migrate to mazatrol when you see planar parts going into the machine.

You can call eia from mazatrol and vise-versa. There is no fourth axis special capabilities on mazatrol for your machine. No cylindrical interpolation or cylinder wrapping programming stuff. concepttually, each part face on a tombstone is a good mazatrol part - barrel cams - not so much there in mazatrol.

the eia side is magnificent - you have eia monitor in addition to position display and 2 types of restart - modal or non-modal. The mazatrol control human interface is one of the absolute best in the business. (but i can't speak for hurco or proto trak or some others out there)

g code is about 99.7% "fanuc compatible". There's parameters to tune eia for MAZATROL WAY or G CODE WAY - for dealing with invoking TLC and CRC. Mazatrol way for CRC is program part shape and use the radius of actual diameter to create tool path, and eia way is to program to cutter centerline and CRC # is the diff between nominal programmed dia and actually cutting dia. Mazatrol TLC is tool change into the spindle, and EIA is via G43 Z___H** program. mazatrol TLC cannot be cancelled! Or it can only be cancelled by tool change.

-jim