587,998 active members*
1,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Third party rebuilders

Does anyone know of a shop that can rebuild the ball screw/nut for the Y axis on our Arrow 500. Cincinnati can't get a new one to us until Sept 3. We don't want to wait that long, plus the new one is over 4 grand. It's jammed near the front end. The motor and thrust bearings are OK. It's the Kollmorgan setup.

hello what pitch and diameter is your ballscrew?
    i might be able to offer a replacement or there is a uk company that will look at the ballscrew to see if it can be re-manufactured. if there is uniform wear then it should be allright. if your interested e-mail me at [email protected]
    regards
    mallardfizz

Thanks for the reply, you always have good info. However, management decided to sent it to Cincinatti to evaluate for $500 (USD). If they fix or replace it they'll credit us the $500.

Thanks Again

hello again.
    ok but if yours is not repairable i can probably supply a new ballscrew and nut for less than 50% that Cinci quoted you. a repair to yours - if possible - would be less still.
    regards
    Mallardfizz

Hi mallard, just remembered I forgot to get back to you on that ballscrew. I ended up fixing it myself. When I removed the assembly to ship it I found two inches of fossilized plastic (PVC & ABS) jammed between the rear of the ball nut and the large washer on the end of the screw. I would have thought the drive would be able to smash anything not solid that got in the way but this plastic hairball was TOUGH. I had to hack through it with an X-acto knife to free it and then it was smooth as silk and free as a bird. The oil impregnated plastic shavings must have re-plasticized from the pressure. Just goes to show action fixes more machines than pondering. Thank again for the assistance.