588,195 active members*
4,652 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > The party is over!!! In Chatsworth anyway...

The party is over!!! In Chatsworth anyway...

It's about time, I say. What about you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fadal liqidation.jpg  
    Scott_bob

Now that I not longer work at Fadal let me say, "WOW, scottbob doesn't like Fadal. WHO CARES!"

Neal

Although I like the fact the machines were US, It was also a bad thing. It showed how the US makes inferior products. I hope Hurco is next, they have the US name with cheap taiwan machines. At least HAAS is still a decent reliable low end machine.

WTH?
    FADAL is a great machine for the money.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Although I like the fact the machines were US, It was also a bad thing. It showed how the US makes inferior products. I hope Hurco is next, they have the US name with cheap taiwan machines. At least HAAS is still a decent reliable low end machine.
    So just for reference why not let us know what you can buy for the same price as a Fadal that is so much better. And don't tell me Haas because I have one of those as well and it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_bob View Post
    It's about time, I say. What about you?
    Go pound sand you troll
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Talking Here we go...

(chair)

Whether you think Fadal was the best thing since sliced bread or one of the cheapest machines on the market makes no difference. Fadal and Haas have a niche in the machine tool market and neither would stack up to a high end machine in quality or price. The real tragedy is one less manufacturing firm in the US. At the rate that we are loosing manufacturing jobs in the US we should be breaking out in a cold sweat.
    Techman

The unraveling of American Manufacturing is not something I celebrate. Mining, Manufacturing, and Agriculture are three ways a country builds wealth. We are losng one of those three legs. All will suffer except a few on Wall Street and in Congress.

Maybe I should rejoice in the fact that GM went bankrupt because I drive a Ford truck. I'm smarter than you because I bought a Ford and you own a Chevy.

I get to work faster now, because when I drive by the GM Techcenter there's no traffic. That's a real plus for me, and that's all that really matters me.

How can anyone that works in Manufacturing take joy in more lost American jobs? Detroit will not recover from this, and it breaks my heart. I hope California recovers, my state won't.
    Still working in the "D".

Ford vs Gm

Bwana Don Nice perspective, Well said!

I really recommend reading "When the machine stopped: A cautionary tale from industrial america"

SO you are celebrating that a Solid American made machine and the people that put them together are out of business?

I don't think much of you sir.

We have 6 Fadals, we employ 14 people and we Love our Fadals. Are we making parts for the shuttle? no. We do work on parts for guns and work from solid models.

If my Fadal has a problem (which by the way is not very often) a Nice man from Mid Atlantic CNC is on my shop floor the next am. Parts are almost always on the floor at the same time if needed.

There are aftermarket parts for our Fadals supported by several companies also.

Celebrating anothers downfall? Perhaps a look in the merrior is in order.

We are proud to make parts in the US on Machines made and supported in the US.
    and we have jobs. Not something everyone else is fortunate to have.

Perhaps you should ask the other 5 Billion on the planet that did not sleep in a bed, or have a roof over there head or a good meal how it is? we may well join them at this rate.

geo

www.egw-guns.com
    Learning

egw,
    I work for Haas and I have never said anything bad about any of our competitors, including Fadal. In fact I ran Fadal's for years prior to coming to work at Haas.

I know that many people will say what they will about anything. They are entitled to their opinion and it is just that - their opinion.

I guess what I am saying is don’t let it bother you. You already know the role that Fadal has played in your business and that should be good enough for you.

And you know, this is just my opinion

Businesses come and businesses go. I had an economics professor that used to say 'Profits are only for short term". Long debate and explanation that goes with that. Fadal, Haas, Mazak or Kitamura, as long as I'm working I'll be ok. It doesn't matter which machine I make a living on, as long as I can make a living.

I feel sorry the the people at the bottom. The working man trying to make a living. These are the people I really feel for. They are the ones that have the least say in whether a company makes it or not.

I guess my point and only my point is this. Don't appear happy when the little guy takes it on the chin. It was irrelevant which CNC machine was better, totally irrelevant. I think Haas Apps gets this, I really do.
    Still working in the "D".

We got 3 Fadals here in England, and I wouldn't be without them!

We love the Fadals that we have. They have had some problems, but Fadal always took great care of us. That can be hard to say for some other manufacturers. It's truly a shame that so many good people are out of a job.

No new machines

I agree that what happened to Fadal is a shame. And I agree that letting Neal go was a huge loss to my team.

What I do want to say is that even though we are without Neal, we still have Doug Hawthorne and Buck Kedrowski who still works everyday out of the same Fadal building in Chatsworth. We are still here to help you with your machines in any way.

Feel free to call me direct and ask me any quesitons you like.

Pat Grantz, Director MAG Services Chatsworth
    818-678-2248

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Apps View Post
    I really recommend reading "When the machine stopped: A cautionary tale from industrial america"
    I read the book about a year before I was let go at Fadal in 2006. The parallels between Burgmaster and Fadal were eery. Started out as solid companies, then fell apart with corporate takeovers.

As to the OP regarding the party being over. Yeah it is over. The 'party' was winding down almost 10 years ago from the heyday of Fadal Engineering in the mid 90's after Giddings & Lewis came in, and was later bought by Thyssen, who merged with Krupp, which then spun of it metal working group to Mag. Mag then tried to mash several competing producers under one umbrella. In the end Fadal was left to wither to keep Cincinatti alive.

I feel bad when any company shuts the doors. It is similar to the feeling of looking at an obituary of a person your exact age and thinking ( It could have been me).

Heinz