587,999 active members*
2,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Shortcuts

Shortcuts

For short run work, quick setups, programming at the machine, etc. It is nice to create shortcuts in some of the redundant tasks we all have to do. One setup/programming task that I and the other guy I work with don't do the same is tool numbering. We have agreed to leave the probe as T24. Typical operations at our shop use around 10 tools. When executing a simple one-off part without strange curves, both of us tend to just hand-code the program. When complexity or cam is needed we use Solid-cam. Before we had the cam we would tend to group our similar tool holders to make it easy to remember where our common tools were. For example, we would leave T1-T-4 drill chucks, T5-T10 collet holders, Inserted cutters, etc, etc. Typical hand code programs were shorter, and rarely used more than 5 tools.
    Now when generating programs with cam the tool numbers are sequential, eg face-mill 1, c-drill 2, drill 3, tap 4, endmill 5, chamcutter 6, etc. All of the old organization is out the door. What works for me now is between jobs stripping all tools but the probe from the changer into our tool rack (around 40 tool storage holes like the huot toolscoot). This is fine if the next job uses different tools, but frustrating if there is similar tooling that you already had set-up.
    We can't seem to agree on making this simple, I would appreciate any comments on how others may have found some other kind of shortcuts.

why cant you just edit the program and change the tool numbers before you run it. that would save pulling all the tools out between setups.
    CHADWIGGAN

Uniformity

We have similar issues. On the mills one programmer decided to standardize the tooling for mills. He designated typical tools used to be the same on all mills like 1/2 emill 3/8 emill and 3/8 X 90 degree chamfer. It works good if we have enough holders and collets because if we have a lot of tooling in use in the machines we run low on holders and collets. Also we must be mindful about length of cut issues because if our depth of cut with a 1/2 inch emill is 1 inch the a 1/2 inch emill with only 3/4 inch depth of cut would crash. lathes are somewhat easier we use certian tools all the time and try to designate them the same on our lathes. I recall using a 80degree and 35 degree insert tooling with a m03 spindle turn and the other guy switched his from m04 to m03 after the programmer made me change to the other guy's m04. So mine are like the other lathe guy used to use and he changed his to my old m03 which I liked fine. When we are not the same it leads to spindle cw and ccw issues which irritated the programmer and us. I just wish we could be on the same page if only for the reason we do run the same parts from time to time on either machine. Uniform tooling has advantages. When we do a mill job now we only have a edge finder in tool #13. When we finish we unload all tooling and return it to the tool return area in a baggie with job number on it. This allows holders and collets to be available for use instead of taking up space in a machine not in use. People will hoard holoders and collets I think because they feel they have what they need when they need it but it can remove a lot of holders and such from availability it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwiggan View Post
    why cant you just edit the program and change the tool numbers before you run it. that would save pulling all the tools out between setups.
    I don't really need to edit programs. I write programs for what I am doing, tune them in (edit) while running , and that is it. I do not run that program ever again. I don't even know why I bother saving them and keeping organized folders on the PC. The few times that I could have run a program for a second time, I had better ideas, newer tooling, different workpiece material, etc. so editing would have taken as much time as rewriting the code.