587,259 active members*
3,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Running Yaskawa drive with RPC

Running Yaskawa drive with RPC

I have got a 1.5KW Yaskawa drive that requires 3 phase power input. Is it possible and safe to run it off a rotary phase converter? Is there a better solution than RPC considering I do not have access to real 3 phase power?

Thanks,
    Ivan

Possible and safe!

Wire the Power company lines to VFD input 1-2 or A-b or whatever the first two input terminals are designated. The manufactured leg might best go to terminal C or three or whatever.

The input to a VFD is an AC supply into a DC rectifier. Very forgiving of voltage balance etc. That said, used at full rating, a VFD will tax the electrical components inside and a RPC with voltage balance is advised.

An oversized (2X) VFD compared to the motor load, could operate on single phase input, giving 3ph output. But you have what you have.

CalG, thanks for the reply.

I am little confused by your post. I do not have a VFD. The Yaskawa drive is a servo drive (SGDB). So, when you say VFD, I am not sure what you are referring to? Is your idea to use a VFD instead of RPC to power the SGDB drive?

The requirements of VFD.s and servo drives are quite similar. I am sorry to confuse, I "assumed".

At any rate....
    There is the Power rectification section and the control power section to these variable frequency drives.

The rectification section is simple and robust. AC in, rectifier diodes and a capacitor, DC out! Very tolerant of RPC input as long as there is nothing stupid goin on.

The control section very likely runs from single phase input. The critical aspect is correct voltage, and that can best be met by using the line connections from your panel for these requirement. The manufactured leg (hi leg) from the RPC should NOT be used for the control circuit requirements.

On an Emerson servo drive I have, the control connections are made by jumpers taken from the power supply. The unit could be supplied off the panel for control purposes. But the motor drive section has a sense element that wants 3ph. Perhaps your Yaz has similar connections.

Try to get as much information regarding your unit as you can.

Cal