588,004 active members*
3,524 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Enable shift key for Fanuc 6M.

I've been using macros on my Fanuc 6M for a while, but I haven't been able to access any of the extra characters ("[", "]", "#", "=", etc.) to edit programs on the machine. Every time I wanted to edit a program that contained macro characters, I had to edit it on the PC and send it through the RS-232 again. I knew that the ABS/INC key is supposed to double as the shift key, but it didn't work.

That all changed this morning when I found a parameter in 6M operator's manual that enables the shift key. It's called MSFT, which is parameter 0308, bit 6 (second bit from the left or X1XXXXXX). It works like a charm and I think I only found it because I was looking for something else.

Just keep in mind that the shift key still toggles between ABS and INC every time it is pressed.

Chris Kirchen

That key should toggle between ABS and INC only when you're in MDI or JOG mode. When you're in EDIT mode, the key should function like a shift key. On later 6Ms, the ABS/INC key changes the cursur at the bottom of the screen from a "-" to a "^". Only the next key you press should be "shifted".

The ABS/INC status shown on the CRT only applies to MDI moves. In your program, the G90/G91 state is used instead. On many 6Ms there is another panel switch called "ABS" or "Manual Absolute". When this switch is NOT on, you're in INCREMENTAL mode, and any jog or handle motions you make also shift the zero point on your program. If the switch is on, then your zero point in the program is not shifted by jogging. Many a crash can be attributed to that switch. I know a lot of people who get behind the panel and jumper that switch into the "permanently on" position.

My 6m has parm 308 set at 01000000 and the shift key
    (abs/inc) still doesn't do anything. Any suggestions?

Let me rephrase that, the abs/inc key changes the format as intended, but in any mode it doesn't preform a shift function....