588,399 active members*
5,546 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

WHATS THIS?? - Optical Switch??

Hey gang - ben dumpster diving and have been rippin into a heap of printers and 5.25 floppy drives . A lot of interesting components - but sometimes I feel like the native staring at the Coke bottle that fell from the sky in the middle of the desert!

So WHAZZISS? # wires out. (No colors) 2 sides - and a slot the wiper or flipper slides through. Im'm sure its a switch no doubt but where do I hook up the wires? ANy clues - Note I have no shame about my ignorant questions....

heres a pickie (I hope) TIA - Jim Hey that worked! Now if I could just get the tumbnails - no worries...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whazzzis.bmp  
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

It looks like an opto switch the K side is common to the cathode of the light source and the emitter of the reciever transistor. the anode should be fed through a resistor to the + supply, depending on what voltage you run at and the C collector should have a resistive load to the + supply, with the output taken from the collector, I can give you an example make/type if you need it.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

It may be easier to identify if you post a picture of the item also. Not just the schematic
    Being outside the square !!!

Al-the-Man
    Say thanks for that! The one I'm looking at is ID'd as: HCS-4094V-O. Came out of a floppy - 5.25 in. No luck on Google. Any pointers you got would be helpful I'm sure.

Ynneb - I'll dust of the camera an post in a few.

These seem to be used a lot for 'paper out" on printers and limits in floppy drives - Should be usefull enuf for other bits of work - just keep 'em free of crud. Now I just need to sort out the wiring and resistors/voltages/etc!
    Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Jim, I found a listing under obsolete semi's but no spec's, connect the common cathode/emitter to 5v common, connect a 500ohm resistor from anode to 5v+ and a 500 ohm res to the (C)ollector and put a meter between common and collector and pass something through the slot and you should hopefully see it switch between 0 and ~5v. Some of these slotted opto switches are darlington out but you should see some results.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Great Al-the -Man!
    I'll shag on down to the radio SNack tommorrow and give it a check out.
    Thanks! Jim