588,685 active members*
6,087 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Order to purchase

I am piecing together my cnc machine and I would like to know what order to buy the parts. I can not buy all the items in one shot because the next shot would be from my wifes gun. So I have to spread them out over time. I have the table put together with the sleds for the x axis. I will post pictures after I get it painted. I will be building the y & z axsis this weekend. I want to keep working on this every weekend so what should I get next? Drive screws, steppers ???? If you can give me a list in order of purchase I can make sure I put this together with out any mistakes.

Thanks
    Joe

Whatever you do, try and get all the drive parts at once.

It is killing me having the breakout board, servos and geckos all sitting on my bench - but not all the parts to finish the PSU so I can spin them up!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

The down side of that javadog is you will have more time to mess things up too.

I got all of my stuff for a mini lathe a assembled it and tested it all together. works like a champ.

One of my buddys got peices and everytime one comes in he starts messing with the stuff.. blew up 2 Hobbys cnc driver boards and one of my computers! (which realy pissed me offf) Although to be fair I think the hobbycnc board has the rs232 grounded to the rest of the board, (although haven't realy looked yet) and they realy should be opto iso.

I bought the same stuff and havn't had a problem.

As far as to the order to purchase. I personally think it depends on the way you organize. I personaly like to have all the mechanicals done before I even mess with the electronics. but you almost have to have everything planned out before you build or you end up buying stuff you don't need (becuase of design changes) or you build something that nothing fits (ie no motor fits in the space you allocated.)

Ask me how I know!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"