587,840 active members*
3,267 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What to Purchase

I really need some direction. I have a fair amount money to invest in a mill and a lathe. I'd like to work with both metal and wood on the equiptment I purchase. I'v educated myself about the 3 in 1 machines, but am hesitant to purchase afraid I may regret the limitations that come with those type machines. I'm just beginning to look at indipendant machines, mill and lathe. I have almost 5000.00 to invest and am horrified I will make a bad choice.
    Does anyone have any suggestions about what equiptment I should be looking at. I'v become very familiar with what Grizzly has in their catalog but am not sure where else to look or the quality of what Grizzly is marketing. Again, I'd really like to work with metal and wood, I would like a lathe that can handle a 40" work piece and a capable mill for a small home shop. I'd be greatful for any direction as to what I should be considering. Thanks Everyone! Rob

What sort of tolerances are you wishing to hold. For the lathes with a 12 to 14 inch swing and 40 inches between centers you will most likely need to look at Jet, unlike Grizzly if you pay close to 3K you also get a Tolerance Certificate. What capabilities do you want in a mill (X, Y, and Z), any weight limitations or preferences?

Depending on what type of parts you want to make, I doubt you'll get good results working with wood on metalworking machines. It might be OK on a lathe, but typically wood requires much higher spindle speeds.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks fella's, I'm flattered your taking the time to educate me. I honestly don't have any tolerances in mind. I have merely seen what these machines are capable of. I'm typically working on farm impliments (making my own, John Deere is expensive.), Our 100 yr old farm house. If I'm not fabricating internal parts, should I be concerned about certificates? Also, Grizzly has a mill they claim can be used on wood and metal, Is anyone familiar with that? Is anyone familiar with smithy Granite I? I think I'd like to avoid breaking down and setting up when I need to switch from lathe to mill, I'm not sure of what's involved with the 3 in 1 equiptment. No weight limitation I think, If I can't pick it up, it stays put. And honestly, I'm still not sure what the x, y and z axis's are, I will by the weekend though...... Thank you again!