587,646 active members*
3,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TL-2 Simple Questions

Well we just signed over a check to purchase a TL-2 and there were a couple basic questions I forgot to ask and I really don't want to deal with the sales guy again and was hoping if anyone can help out with these couple questions.

We purchased a TL-2 with:
    Coolant Pump Kit
    Manual Tailstock
    12" Chuck
    4 Station Turret
    and Quick Change tool post.

First question is on installation, does the TL-2 need compressed air and if so what is it used for on the TL-2? Reason asking would a basing 5hp 50 gallon compressor work or should we plumb it to our be air dried compressor.

For those who have purchased the tailstock does it come with a dead center or live center?

This is the first time we have bought a lathe and a little anxios and want to make sure we have everything before the machien arrives.

no dead or live center,if you have an air dryer every machine should get air from there i dont think your machine will need it but you will need an air gun,why you need a 12" chuck a 10" should be more then enuff. and call the sales man bug the hell out of him thats what he is paid for. earplugs saftey glasses and a rain jacket are also needed.

Tailstock option does not include any centers alive or dead.

Clean, dry air is needed for the tool turret.

12" chuck is overkill and is going to slow down the spindle acceleration.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. We needed the 12" for one of the discs/parts we will be running!!

By any chance do you guys know what morse taper the tailstock uses???

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzer View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply guys. We needed the 12" for one of the discs/parts we will be running!!

I think tailstock taper is #4.

Regarding needing a 12" chuck for a big disc if you get something like a Bison with removable top jaws you can make custom jaws to hold discs much larger than the chuck body. Adapting a smaller chuck with funky custom jaws means you do not have the frustration of long start and stop times with a machine running small parts at higher speeds with a big chuck.

I'm pretty sure that the tailstock is MT-5, not MT-4. Geof probably just mistyped because he is not known to make such basic mistakes.

The machine itself doesn't use any air (unless its different than the TL-1). I also agree: the 12" chuck is totally overkill.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the tailstock is MT-5, not MT-4. Geof probably just mistyped because he is not known to make such basic mistakes.

The machine itself doesn't use any air (unless its different than the TL-1). I also agree: the 12" chuck is totally overkill.
    He's probably correct, but I do know it is big, ridiculously so because the machine would never drive the largest size of drill that could be fitted in the taper.

I'm pretty sure that the tailstock is MT-5, not MT-4......
    Oh ye of little faith; I decided to look it up. See below copied right from the Haas specs:

"Manual tailstock for TL-2 includes platform with 48" travel (1219mm) & quill section with MT4 & locking handle for manual thrust."

We also got the upgraded pump with our tm-2.

If I were to buy another one like it I would just upgrade the pump myself and put the $$ into tooling.

I would have also made them throw in some class time.

Tim

Upgraded Pump

Hi Tim,

Does the TM-2 have an enclosure? I don't think so??? That upgraded pump really puts out a good coolant spray and will give you a bath of coolant if you don't have some type of enclosure. The standard 5 gallon pump system is a JOKE.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Oh ye of little faith; I decided to look it up. See below copied right from the Haas specs:
    You win, Geof. :cheers: I was thinking of the TL-1 spindle (A5). I made that mistake once before, when I ordered a rotating tailstock chuck.
    Greg

You win, Geof. :cheers: I was thinking of the TL-1 spindle (A5). I made that mistake once before, when I ordered a rotating tailstock chuck.
    I am not much better...I ordered a chuck and got the spindle specification wrong; needless to say it did not fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post

"Manual tailstock for TL-2 includes platform with 48" travel (1219mm) & quill section with MT4 & locking handle for manual thrust."
    Man, even I knew not to second guess Geof..

Quote Originally Posted by axis View Post
    ......and a rain jacket are also needed.

HA! I totally agree. - I miss being showered with coolant and fire hot Chromoly chips!

Have fun! Those are cool machines.
    Tim

Call the sales man and GET THE ENCLOSURE!!!!! I have one on a TL-2 and use it to avoid burns from hot chips, keep my shop clean and run coolant without getting a bath. It is worth the exorborant price that they charge for it but it is better than being miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzer View Post

Get the 10" chuck and make jaws to hold your parts. Here is my TL-1 with an 8" chuck turning 12.25" diameter castings,

Mark Hockett

cmacclel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockett View Post
    Get the 10" chuck and make jaws to hold your parts. Here is my TL-1 with an 8" chuck turning 12.25" diameter castings,

Mark Hockett
    Wow you have some nutz I guess I really need to know the boundary's of material holding. Your only holding that piece by around a 1/2"? How heavy is the part?? 30+ lbs??

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by cmacclel View Post
    Wow you have some nutz I guess I really need to know the boundary's of material holding. Your only holding that piece by around a 1/2"? How heavy is the part?? 30+ lbs??

Mac
    Its being held by almost 1" of the small diameter when facing and turning the OD. I have done about 50 of those parts like that. Once I have the OD and one face done I can turn the part around and grip it by the OD to face the other side. The castings weigh about 42 lbs when I start. Here is a finished part,

I like the way you don't change jaws to go between the OD, the boss and back to the OD. (At least that's what it looks like is possible)

What is the material? It seems to give a nice finish both turning and milling.