588,380 active members*
5,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Modifing Chip Guard for ATC

Hopefully someone may fine this helpful.

I have the Tormach Deluxe Base for the 1100. The upper chip guard was a significant pain to install the first time and when I added the ATC I did not look forward to removing and reinstalling it the second time. For those that don't know, the ATC drive mounts inside the column and the Pneumatic Control on the outside of the column behind the chip guard.

I decided to modify the guards to open up the back of the machine by cutting a rewelding the guards. While at this I decided to open up the are behind the control cabinet to allow better access to the cabinet connectors. The two modified halves of the chip guard now bolt to the back of the cabinet and the side of the column rather than to each other.

I did this about 6 or 8 months ago and so far there has been no down side. Access for maintenance of the ATC controls and the Y Axis Stepper and Screw is greatly improved.

I also cut and rewelded the end of the table guard to allow the use of long tools in the ATC. Shown here it has not been repainted.

nitewatchman

I didn't seem to have any issues with my ATC but I installed it before putting on the chip guards. I did have to cut the left side just like you all the way to the front. Now I find that coolant/chips can fly out of the left so I think the machine needs a secondary containment of some sort

Nice job! I like the design.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakai View Post
    I didn't seem to have any issues with my ATC but I installed it before putting on the chip guards. I did have to cut the left side just like you all the way to the front. Now I find that coolant/chips can fly out of the left so I think the machine needs a secondary containment of some sort
    I wanted access to the Pnuematic Controls, the inside of the column and the wiring tray under the Electrical Cabinet with the Chip Guard in place. The cutting and welding of the covers only took a couple of hours.

Oh yes I see what you're saying. Looks great, I couldn't even tell!