587,204 active members*
3,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > HFT overload protection mystery

HFT overload protection mystery

I have a 7x10 HF lathe that I am learning to use. It actually works pretty good for threading thin rifle barrels and making thread protectors etc.

The problem I am having is after stalling it when I taking too big of a bite. I am having a hard time figuring out how the overload protection works. If I stall it, I can't seem to figure out how to restart it. It seems like only luck with various switch combinations will get it started up again. I've followed the instruction manual but they never work after a stall.

Do you need to unplug the machine for X minutes or are you supposed to stand on your left foot and count to 10? What is the trick to getting them to come back on after you stall it? Plugged in, I've had the machine refuse to start back up the next morning.

Here is the start up process that the manual says to follow (it does not work after a stall though).
    1) Turn on the power switch
    2) Set direction indicator
    3) Turn on the speed control knob

The manual and customer support were no help.

Thanks for your help. I tried to search this forum for an answer but was not able to find the answer.

On a similar lathe (MM 7x14--still a SIEG), you have to turn the speed dial all the way down; put the FWD/REV switch in Neutral; turn off main power; turn on main power; set FWD/REV switch to either; then dial back in the speed you want.

I think the key is that you cannot have the FWD/REV switch anywhere but Neutral when you turn the power back on.

I wish it was that easy but that doesn't seem to be the problem. You are correct though, the instructions say you are supposed to have the direction switch in the middle position (off) and the speed switch on zero (off) before you turn on the power.

On numerous occasions (mostly after I have stalled the lathe), I have turned on the power, moved the direction switch from off to forward and then move the speed knob from zero and nothing will happen. I turn everything off and go away for an hour and still might not work. Then for no reason that I can figure out, it will start working again if I move switches back and forth several times in no particular order.

I actually returned my first lathe to HFT for this exact same problem since I though it was broken. Now my replacement is doing the same thing. I can't seem to find the key to using the built in safety features.

On my HF 7x10 I have to turn the speed control to 0, then turn the power switch off and then back on.

The off time is a second or two is all for my machine. I never had to change the forward / reverse switch for a reset.

Robert